Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Tue 29, 2014 5:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 1960's H H Scott Integrated Tube Amps and Tube FM Tuners
PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2010 10:29 pm 

I own modern tube equipment (CD Player, Pre-amp and Monoblocks) and love the way tubed sources sound on old Klipsch Cornwall speakers. I've never owned a tubed tuner and quite like my 1970's Sansui tuner (better then anything more up to date I've ever heard).

I think 'The Fisher' when I think of affordable 1960's tube equipment and quite frankly I've never seen a Scott Amp prior to a week ago.

So my question: Are Scott's worth the time and trouble to restore?

Regards,

Wb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2010 10:33 pm 

Yes. For the most part vintage Scott tube equipment is usually equal to and in some cases will be even better than Fisher.

I find that good solid state FM tuners generally work better and are more reliable than any of the tube FM stereo tuners that were popular back in their day. If you have one that you like, then stick with it. If you want a tube tuner to compare, then choose one of the high end models from the 60's.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2010 11:10 pm 

I went that way a long time ago. In 1972 I bought a McIntosh MR65B (their first MPX tuner) which was made in 1963 or 1964. It is still part of my main stereo system and I use it regularly. Would you believe it, a couple of years ago I was having problems with the tuning capacitor cutting out, I emailed McIntosh, and they instructed me on how to fix it.

-David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2010 11:24 pm 

Aha! Now I know what you want a 5AR4 for :wink: .

Dennis is right; a good solid-state AM/FM receiver will typically outperform its older tube counterpart. This is primarily due to advances in receiver technology that weren't possible, or feasible at least, until solid state came along.

Dennis is also right that in most cases, Scott gear will generally match Fisher gear and in some cases will be superior, but on the other hand, in some other cases, Fisher will have the lead. The Golden Age manufacturers were almost all of them running neck and neck with their offerings for the duration, and each had some individual star performers.

Good luck refurbishing your Scott. We've had a lot of Scotts turn up here on the community bench lately (last year, we had a lot of Fishers, Dynacos and Macs).

Best regards :), Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Thu 30, 2010 3:28 am 

Well, you certainly will get my vote for the Scott. I have a few amplifiers so I know what your are going through looking for that elusive 5AR4.

So, I have the following:

200, 200B, 210B, 210E (3 of them, unrestored), 222C, 222D, 233, 299, (both versions), 299B (3), 299C (2), 299D, LK-48, LK-72 (various versions from brown faceplate to one that is like an LK-72B), LK-72B.

Tuners:
350, 350B, 350D, LT-10 (various versions), LT-110 (various versions), LT-110B, 310, 310E (rough, unrestored) 370, 330, 333.

MPX adapter:
335 brown faceplate, no cabinet :cry:

Receivers:
340B (3), 345 (3), 380.

Note, not all stuff is restored. Retirement work you see.

Now I do have some solid state stuff but that is another story.

Do I like Scott? Yes. And, I have some Fisher stuff too. I like it. But I am much, much more familiar with Scott. I will be happy to help. But please remember that it may take time to get back to you from time to time...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Thu 30, 2010 5:58 pm 

BigBandsMan wrote:
Aha! Now I know what you want a 5AR4 for :wink: .

I don't have any experience with the 5AR4 specifically so this might be a dumb question, but if 5AR4s are hard to get, wouldn't they be a candidate for replacement with a couple of silicon rectifiers? That is what I did on the Fisher 50-AZ, and it has been happy for a long time now.

-David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Thu 30, 2010 6:28 pm 

The 5AR4 is one of those "hot" tubes that are jacked sky-high by hoarder/resellers on Greedbay and elsewhere. Since I use three of them in my Big Bertha homebrew, it's a tube I know very well.

Why is its price jacked up? It was widely used in golden-age hi-fi gear; thus, all the usual suspects are after it; heavy price inflation. :mrgreen:

But the real reason why it's hot? A lot of Fender and other guitar amps used it too, so you must figure the git-fiddle crowd into the equation too. Boost prices another 250% (or so).

It's a candidate for silicon, yes, but that would mean significant revision in the power supply circuit to keep B+ voltages in line.

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Thu 30, 2010 7:37 pm 

HH Scott gets my vote as being well worth restoring. My collection isn't nearly as extensive as Don Cavey's but the pieces I do have are outstanding performers. I especially like my 310-DR tuner with it's amazing ability to clearly receive DX signals while ignoring strong adjacent locals. My McIntosh MR-67 falls flat in this regard. No solid state tuner I've used performs as well as the 310-DR including Scotts. But it's beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Thu 30, 2010 10:18 pm 

Thanks you the information all.

How tough will it be to find a replacement round tuning dial for a Scott 350-B tuner?

Tried finding these using Google's search engine and didn't find any referenced for sale. Does anyone make a replacement parts other then brass knobs which I did find?

Thanks,

Wb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Thu 30, 2010 11:01 pm 

Wolfbane wrote:
How tough will it be to find a replacement round tuning dial for a Scott 350-B tuner?

I've been casually looking for the inner vernier knob for my 350-C for several years. There probably aren't too many Scott junkers around.

I wonder if the dial scale could be reproduced if an example of one were to be scanned?

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Thu 30, 2010 11:35 pm 

Dave Doughty writes:

"I've been casually looking for the inner vernier knob for my 350-C for several years. There probably aren't too many Scott junkers around."

Sounds like I've got a challenge on my hands then!

"I wonder if the dial scale could be reproduced if an example of one were to be scanned?"

Perhaps someone with a 3D computerised scanner and a CNC machine... and lots of free time.

Wb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Thu 30, 2010 11:48 pm 

I feel your pain. The clear plastic dial face is often cracked because of excessive tightening of the set screw. So, most of them are cracked. There were different versions as well. The later ones had a brown background and the early ones were clear. Most of mine are cracked :cry: .

But I don't listen to FM nearly as much as I did years ago. There simply isn't much worth listening to today...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Thu 30, 2010 11:57 pm 

Don't have a vintage tube receiver but I bought this 70's H H Scott 370R from Barry this past year. It is on most of the time. I have a vintage Pioneer SA-9100 that can kick most every thing's butt in the house but this Scott is my favorite now. I would love to find a Scott tube receiver (affordable) but unless I'm first at a house sale with one it probably won't happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Fri 01, 2010 12:51 am 

Steve, there were Scott and Fisher receivers at RARSfest last April, and at least one Mac stereo basic amp. It waltzed right out the door in front of me in the cradling arms of some lucky stiff. Grinning like a possum too, he was, and I don't blame him.

While I was eying one of the Fisher receivers, trying to coax myself into pretending that I could afford it, it grew legs and walked right off the table.

:?

Larry