Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Wed 26, 2014 3:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Help with Zenith Long Distance Radio
PostPosted: Nov Wed 17, 2010 3:37 pm 

Hi guys new to this forum, and I just found this baby in the GW and the owner let me have it..I thought probably it didnt work , but when I got home and plugged her in music came out..Now my problem and hopefully you guys can help. I took a few screws from the back and bottom and it seems like the only thing holding the board to come out is the knobs up front. I tried pulling on them but nothing. Any advice on taking this apart so I can clean her would help.

tried to attach piks but couldnt find how..sorry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Wed 17, 2010 4:11 pm 

A picture would really help, if this is a later model in a plastic cabinet the knobs maybe held in the case by a push on keeper around the knobs inside the radio. If so you just pull on the chassis gently and it will slip out of the knobs.

If there's no keepers on the inside of knobs a method that many have had success with is to slip a piece of cloth behind the knobs and pull on it, you have more leverage that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Wed 17, 2010 4:15 pm 

Some radios used a keeper on the knob shafts so they can't be pulled out of the cabinet. You might have to grab the front edge of the board and pull it backward to see if it moves. It's possible someone glued the knobs on but there's no easy way to tell. If you can shine a light inside and look at the knob shafts, it they have a circular bushing around the shaft then they're probably meant to stay in the cabinet.

Post subject: Got IT
PostPosted: Nov Wed 17, 2010 4:16 pm 

Like you said I just needed some leverage and pulled them..Ok So i got this bad boy out and wow, this is my first tube layout and I have no idea how to clean the inside..What do you guys use to clean this stuff..Tubes look cool but they have old 30 year old dust grimed on it.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Got IT
PostPosted: Nov Wed 17, 2010 6:13 pm 

venaka wrote:
Like you said I just needed some leverage and pulled them..Ok So i got this bad boy out and wow, this is my first tube layout and I have no idea how to clean the inside..What do you guys use to clean this stuff..Tubes look cool but they have old 30 year old dust grimed on it.

Thanks

A dampened rag (water) and maybe some damp Q-tips for hard to reach places to START WITH.....pending results you can go on to something more severe. Make a diagram of where they go and be careful not to wipe off the tube numbers when you clean the tubes. A picture of your radio would help.

Post subject: Re: Got IT
PostPosted: Nov Wed 17, 2010 7:11 pm 

Art Hoch wrote:
venaka wrote:

Thanks

A dampened rag (water) and maybe some damp Q-tips for hard to reach places to START WITH.....pending results you can go on to something more severe. Make a diagram of where they go and be careful not to wipe off the tube numbers when you clean the tubes. A picture of your radio would help.

Use a small vacuum to get out all the loose debris (dust bunnies, cobwebs, etc.) before bringing out the *lightly* dampened rag. Creats a little less mess. Ditto on what Art said about the tubes. If they are miniatures, the ink rubs off them really easily if you're not careful.

PM me for my email address

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Wed 17, 2010 8:02 pm 

Remember now always Recapp the power supply..or poof goes the tragic,magic smoke will come out...sadly ruining a good radio! :cry:

Post subject: Attach
PostPosted: Nov Wed 17, 2010 9:06 pm 

Ok how do I attach image?
I have taken some pictures but I dont see where I can insert a image.
[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Wed 17, 2010 9:22 pm 

this little green rod is begining to smoke a little..Is this easy to fix.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Wed 17, 2010 10:58 pm 

Don't play it anymore until appropriate repairs are made! If you don't know how ask here on this forum or somebody you know that is competent with old radio repair.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Wed 17, 2010 11:04 pm 

Thankss, wow I almost got fried..I aint touching this thing no more.

Is this green thing that I pictured replaceable?.

Im not sure if working on this one is even worth it, I saw one going not too long ago for 36 bucks on EPRAY..

IT SURE IS FUN THOUGH..ANY INPUT ON HOW TO FIX THIS WOULD BE A BLESSING..THANKS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Wed 17, 2010 11:25 pm 

Yeah, the green is replaceable. It's a resistor, and it's likely frying because something in the set is drawing too much power. It's worth restoring, you'll want to replace the capacitors and possibly some other parts as required.

Check out this page for a beginner's primer: http://www.antiqueradio.org/recap.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Wed 17, 2010 11:30 pm 

WOW, you guys just gave me a new hobby and I think Im gonna love it...Where can I shop for these caps..CAN my local electric shop have all this..SOmeone mentioned i CAN GET THIS IN AES, whats this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Wed 17, 2010 11:35 pm 

AES, Antique Electronics Supply, has a lot of old radio parts and tubes and stuff for guitar amps etc. Personally I wouldn't buy your caps there, they have a lot of good stuff but are pretty expensive.

This place: http://www.justradios.com/capacitors.html has antique radio capable capacitors in a variety of types, including some "kits" of 50-100 of the most common ones needed all in one place.

I tend to buy my parts from Mouser (http://www.mouser.com/) under Passive Components, but that site is considerably more technical and harder to use if you're not already familiar with some of the terminology.

Stick around here a while, post in Electrical/Mechanical Restoration and we'll be happy to help you out with it! Glad you think you'll like this hobby :) Depending what you have on hand, it might cost as much as $100 to restore that very first radio (if you need to buy a soldering iron and soldering supplies, tools, etc. in addition to just replacement components) and then it drops off sharply after that for most cases.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Wed 17, 2010 11:49 pm 

wOW i WOULDNT EVEN KNOW WHERE TO BEGIN..CAN I JUST EMAIL THEM MY MODEL X334 ZENITH LONG DISTANCE RADIO..OR DO I HAVE TO LOOK @ EACH CAP??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Thu 18, 2010 12:11 am 

You'll want a schematic first before doing anything, most of them have parts lists built in.

You can find your schematic in Sam's Photofact 916-8, Zenith 7N07 (X334). If your local library doesn't have it (many do have access to Sam's folders) you can call them directly at 800-428-7267 and they'll sell you one. These are very nice, easy to follow folders with labeled photographs, schematics, parts lists and service procedures. Someone on here might have a scan of that folder as well. I looked on eBay and I don't see one on there, but they usually have many Photofacts for sale there too.

Once you have the schematic, just go down the parts list and buy what it tells you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Thu 18, 2010 12:47 am 

It sounds as if you're raring to go, but have little or no knowledge whatsoever in radio electronics theory.

There is much to learn, but you don't really need a lot to get started working on basic radios. Possibly what you DO need may be someone to visit, and walk you through parts of it. This is called elmering in the radio field. In what region of the country do you live? Possibly an active member may live nearby who can help.

What others have touched on, there are parts in the radio called capacitors. These can go bad with age, and it's like driving an old car on dryrotted tires -- not safe. A proper radio rebuild includes replacement of all the paper, molded, and electrolytic capacitors. Quite often this alone fixes the radio; after a good rebuild, the radio can then be used every day without concern.

As for sources of parts, if you're very lucky you may have a parts supplier nearby. However most of these outfits have gone by the wayside, and even Radio Shack has a minimal supply of parts at best. However parts can be mail-ordered from large outfits like Mouser, and certain specialized parts can be had from places such as Antique Electronic Supply and Radio Daze. There are also individuals who frequent this forum, who can supply you with reproduction parts, knobs, and other specialty items. Once you know your sources, finding parts is easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Thu 18, 2010 3:24 am 

googling certain part names should lead you to several sites w/supplies you need

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Thu 18, 2010 9:35 pm 

If you're near me (Hillsboro Oregon), I'll be happy to sit down with you and lead you through the whole thing. It's time I earned my Elmer badge.

Dave Wise

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Thu 18, 2010 10:20 pm 

The good thing is with this radio, *hopefully* the only components you'd have to replace are the electrolytic capacitors and the power resistor you pictured.

This set was manufactured around 1966-67 - the end of the tube era. I've worked on a couple over the years and they have ceramic disc capacitors instead of the more failure-prone paper ones. About 99% of the ceramic caps I've encountered have still been good.

Right now, I'd recommend getting a book on old radios and just reading and absorbing information. Ask any questions you have here. The only dumb question is the ones that aren't asked.

This will be a good radio to learn on and it will be a good performer when it's done. The 1960s Zeniths are way undervalued in my opinion.

PM me for my email address

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 22 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page 1, 2  Next