Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 22, 2014 9:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: IG-57A sweep generator connector
PostPosted: Dec Mon 06, 2010 5:45 pm 

What do the connectors for these receptacles look like and where do you get them?

(CLICK IMAGE)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Mon 06, 2010 6:42 pm 

The image isn't very clear but they look like standard BNC connectors, available from Digi-Key, Mouser, Allied.... most any electronics distributor.

Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Mon 06, 2010 6:45 pm 

Yep.
Rich is correct.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Tue 07, 2010 1:11 am 

THey look like BNCs available most anywhere. Top and bottom center, and bottom right cables are BNCs on at least one end. You can buy assembled cables from several vendors as well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Tue 07, 2010 4:49 am 

Thanks for the responses. This is very helpful information!

Post subject: Re: IG-57A sweep generator connector
PostPosted: Dec Tue 07, 2010 6:32 am 

metzman wrote:
What do the connectors for these receptacles look like and where do you get them?

Let us know how it works for you. I have a few sweep Gens and had more in the past (that worked to varying degrees). You have a scope and some FM radios or TV's to align?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Tue 07, 2010 4:11 pm 

That is one of the crystal controlled Heath TV sweepers I have mentioned in other posts. They are standard BNC connectors on it. Heath supplied an RF probe (all be it a cheesy one, a block with two alligator clip wires on it) with these units. I don't know how the crystals have aged in those units, but they were probably very precise when new, and they had markers for everything needed to align color TV's of their day. Probably would work for FM radios with the included 10.7 MHz sweep, although I'm not sure how good or stable the actual sweep on them is. Being an early Heath transistor item, my guess is not so hot.

-Mark-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Tue 07, 2010 7:06 pm 

The IG57 was a nice generator for the
early 70's. It is a post marker type.
If you work on tube color TVs or solid
state sets up to about 1979 it may
help you if you can find the manuals
and get the cords and atternuator box.
My IG57 is upstairs with all, its previous
'wobulators' and soon to be joined by
a Sencore VG91,

Steve Dow
ve7aso@rac.ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Wed 08, 2010 4:58 am 

Quote:
You have a scope and some FM radios or TV's to align?

I have a heathkit IO-14 scope and this IG-57a that I acquired from a TV repairman about two years ago. Sadly, he suffered a massive heart attack and died a short time later. I don't have any of the probes for either of these units. I would like to learn how to perform an FM alignment since I have these things, but admittedly I don't know how to go about it. I know how to do it with an AM signal generator though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Wed 08, 2010 7:06 pm 

metzman wrote:
Quote:
You have a scope and some FM radios or TV's to align?

I have a heathkit IO-14 scope and this IG-57a that I acquired from a TV repairman about two years ago. Sadly, he suffered a massive heart attack and died a short time later. I don't have any of the probes for either of these units. I would like to learn how to perform an FM alignment since I have these things, but admittedly I don't know how to go about it. I know how to do it with an AM signal generator though.

First you have to get a FM radio you want to align. I recommend one you can get the service manual that gives the sweep alignment method. PHOTOFACT is usually a great source of info, so get PHOTOFACT of that model.

Here is one of my threads.

FM Radio Sweep Alignment How To Pictorial
http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/vie ... dadb3a2eb2

Then start to read. There are many threads on ARF. Here are a few that pop up with title and author (use the search function)

How to sweep align ? Bob D.
FM generator hook-up Don_S
IF alignment generator pixellany
signal generator for FM alignment conaway
FM sweep alignment - need help with equipment set up conaway

You should understand how radio and the theory of how FM works, especially the discriminator or ratio detector (the demodulator, part that turns FM back into audio). Methods vary so again get the instructions for that radio or TV. Each radio and TV will have different steps, thus my recommendation, get a service manual that spells it out (PHOTOFACT). The problem is very few service manuals spelled it out at all. Often there was no sweep alignment instructions, because they knew at that time most technicians did not have the gear to do it. They also knew even the service grade sweep gear was pretty poor in the tube day. So they gave an alternate inferior method that did not use sweep alignment. A good source of how to is often old sweep generator manuals that give you some theory and procedures.

Here is a good book I have mentioned.

"The Theory and Servicing of AM, FM and FM Stereo
Receivers" by Clarence R. Green & Robert Bourque

I already know how to sweep align radios and have better gear than Heathkit, but it's worth the effort to learn. There is no substitute to just going for it and trying. To try and tell you what to do is impossible. You need cables to connect the sweep gen to the scope. You will have two more cables, one to inject the signal from the sweep gen and one to detect the signal from DUT (device under test, aka radio/TV) back to the signal Gen (to add markers). That is it. Simple to say, difficult to do. The "Detector probe" is basically a diode and a few resistors and capacitors... to rectify the signal for the IF section. Some folks will use a straight X10 probe. You will get a double, above and below zero and filled in. That is OK, but it makes seeing the markers more difficult. There are several threads on "RF Probes", "Detector Probes", "Demodulator Probes" on ARF.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Wed 08, 2010 10:05 pm 

Thanks for all the recommendations, gmc. I have my work cut out for me. I have several Telefunkens and Blaupunkts that I have restored. They all work well on FM already, but I will use one of them to learn on. I have the photofacts also. I have a probe from an IO-17, but its not the screw on type, like the IO-14. However it will connect to the center and I can alligator clip a ground cable to the outside.

The Telefunken Allegro I restored had a broken ratio detector coil (actually I broke it), so I rewound it and aligned it with an AM signal generator. Maybe I will use this radio to train on. I will most likely be back with questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Wed 08, 2010 10:19 pm 

Hey Metzman-

If you don't mind the twist-on type bnc connectors, I have more than I'll ever use. PM your address to me along with how many you need to make your test set-up and I will drop them in the mail to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Thu 09, 2010 8:51 pm 

smokestuffer wrote:
Hey Metzman- If you don't mind the twist-on type bnc connectors, I have more than I'll ever use. PM your address to me along with how many you need to make your test set-up and I will drop them in the mail to you.

That is a generous offer. For quick and dirty those work but I gave up on those for crimp on kind.

I am set up to make BNC cables (two sizes of coaxial) with crimp on BNC conncetors. It was not easy or cheap. The crimp on kind need a special (expensive) tool. I also ruined a few connectors before I learned how to do it right. Now it's kind of fun. I do like the flexibility. I bought a bulk roll of RG58 so I can make custom cables and antenna feed lines. The crimp on fittings are about $1.30 each. So even with my almost free coxial it cost me about $3.00 per cable. You can buy BNC to BNC test cables for $6.00.

If you need test cables, I suggest you buy them. There is nothing more frustrating than flaky test cables. China ebay deals and internet sites that specialized in cables have good deals. When you compare the cost of the connectors and coaxial, to make a cable, to a pre-made one, pre-made is a bargain. Unless you want to get the Amphenol die crimper ($100-$150) to make your own cables, buy pre-made cables. There are cheap BNC crimpers, don't waste your money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Fri 10, 2010 1:45 am 

All of the above is excellent advice, but I will still put 5 in the mail tomorrow to you. Made up cables really are a bargain these days and I also have a crimper with multiple dies. If nothing else, you can lay the twist-ons aside for a time you are in a pinch.