Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Tue 02, 2014 7:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 1964 General Electric 300 Stereo Portable Phonograph
PostPosted: Dec Wed 08, 2010 8:00 am 

My very first record player in the early `70s was a GE Swinger. I saw this at a Garage Sale and it reminded me of it. It was only $5 and I thought the price was right and first Solid State I have messed with. I was surprised to find the amp was only the size of a pack of cigarettes and the cart was still a crystal at 2V! I stuck in a new P-228 and serviced the changer and she works great. Not a lot of power but a very clean solid stereo sound. Some pictures and a video as well.

YOUTUBE VIDEO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5TzPM2MSOo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Wed 08, 2010 3:38 pm 

Fun! It looks like pretty much the last GE that wasn't completely plastic, like the Wildcat, etc.

eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Wed 08, 2010 6:12 pm 

That's an early, if not the first, GE solid state stereo phonograph. I used to have a very similar 300 phonograph that was probably a year or two newer than yours. Mine used the same 2V cartridge; but, I replaced it with a Varco TN4B, which has a lower output. It worked; but, the volume usually had to be turned all the way up to get satisfactory volume. I then passed it on to a friend, who has gotten much enjoyment out of it.

I also had a similar looking 400 tube model that used a VM changer and the amp used a 6AQ5 output tube for each channel. There was also a solid state 400 and I think the 500 was supposed to be the higher end model.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Wed 08, 2010 10:42 pm 

Thanks for the info guys! I am always amazed how you can post a record player that seems kinda obscure to me and you guys know so many cool facts about them. :wink:

It is a great little player, like someone said you have to have her pretty much cranked for decent volume but it really has a great sound and very good stereo as well. Not sure what I am gonna do with her, hopefully pass it along to someone who will put it to good use. I is a very nice player for someone interested in listening to all their old records and having a solid reliable player to do so with.

T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Sun 12, 2010 4:33 pm 

looks much better then my wildcat :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Sun 12, 2010 7:12 pm 

I tell you, if anyone likes it she is available or I would love to find or trade this for one of those little white GE Mono Swinger players from early `70s these were the ones that were basically the cheap model of the wildcat. This was my first record player ever...I played a lot of Monkees records on that thing. Here is the model.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GE-Portable-Record-Player-16-33-45-Tested-Works-Great-/120656756983?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1c17b400f7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Sun 12, 2010 8:25 pm 

If I find one of those, it's yours.

Actually, those were made in many different colors from the late '60's until around '75. Then, some firm called Interstate Industries picked up the wildcat and swingmate line and continued to produce them under various brands for a few more years. The only difference was that the Interstate Industries models used a two speed BSR changer. The cases were nearly identical.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Sun 12, 2010 8:28 pm 

OMG, I just paid attention to the price that thing is going for and someone must want it real bad. I don't know what it is; but, it seems that many of the cheap low end record players bring more money than some of the better models. Here's another example.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wards-BSR-Turntable ... 415509598d

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Sun 12, 2010 9:01 pm 

radiotvnut wrote:
OMG, I just paid attention to the price that thing is going for and someone must want it real bad. I don't know what it is; but, it seems that many of the cheap low end record players bring more money than some of the better models. Here's another example.

Yeah eBay is like that a lot. I have seen something go for $19 one time then $80 another. I think it is the luck of the draw, if you happen to get 2 folks that want something and see it at the same time the price can shoot way above what the thing is worth.

I was looking for a 6EY3 and a lot of them come up on eBay. I have seen them go from $10 up to $100 in the same condition during the same time, crazy. I finally won one cheap enough for me, like $20 and $15 shipping and it is pretty nice.

Seems the small stuff always goes for more though, as it is impossible to ship the big large items.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Sun 12, 2010 11:23 pm 

Speaking of the Mustangs, I have a black one, and a dark green one today. I also have a black Wildcat.

When it was new, I got one for Christmas. We spent most of the day Christmas Day trying to get the speakers off the cabinet! If we had only looked in the maual, we'd have been OK... but you know how guys are with manuals.... :D I even have a pic or two in the family album of me and this little record player!

Post subject: Re: 1964 General Electric 300 Stereo Portable Phonograph
PostPosted: Jul Fri 15, 2011 12:03 am 

Hi!

I recently purchased a GE Transistor 400. I know NOTHING about these machines but really want to get this up and running.

The needle is still in contact however, it does that "spin". I took it to a few local record shops and they tried to lift up the base around the turntable (I apologize if this is incorrect terminology) but could not figure out how to. They all suggested that it needed a belt replacement.

Any suggestions or tips?

Thanks so much for your help!

PostPosted: Jul Fri 15, 2011 12:12 am 

Do you mean that it doesn't spin? If that's the case, it probably needs a new idler wheel.

PostPosted: Jul Fri 15, 2011 2:10 am 

jbougie wrote:
Hi!

I recently purchased a GE Transistor 400. I know NOTHING about these machines but really want to get this up and running.

The needle is still in contact however, it does that "spin". I took it to a few local record shops and they tried to lift up the base around the turntable (I apologize if this is incorrect terminology) but could not figure out how to. They all suggested that it needed a belt replacement.

Any suggestions or tips?

jbougie where do you live? There might be someone local to you on here that can help you out or if you are interested in having someone get her up and running for you let me know I would be willing to fix it up for you. These are really nice sounding players!

T

PostPosted: Jul Fri 15, 2011 2:26 am 

Nice little player, bb! The sound really comes through on your video, too. I have been using my "HD" video cam on my Droid X phone and the videos are extremely crappy. What is the video camera that you use? I know you said it is small, but it's excellent for YouTube videos.

PostPosted: Jul Tue 26, 2011 2:57 am 

bastardbus wrote:
jbougie wrote:
Hi!

Any suggestions or tips?

jbougie where do you live? There might be someone local to you on here that can help you out or if you are interested in having someone get her up and running for you let me know I would be willing to fix it up for you. These are really nice sounding players!

T

I live in Orange County, California.

I'd be so grateful if someone could help me out!