Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Sat 01, 2014 9:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: National NC-183 questions and sams
PostPosted: Dec Mon 13, 2010 4:48 am 

First i'd like to ask if theres a sams ? i need to take voltage readings because i'm finding that the receiver seems to not be sensitive enough , you can't overload any station , there seems to be too much no signal in the rf gain , the meter only seems to respond when your in avc position not in mvc , selectivity seems to make the meter read more ... its a great sounding radio , tunning is real nice but i'm getting a lot more sensitivity out of the hallicrafters sx-99 and this tells me that something isn't right , it has been recapped , unsure if theres any caps missed like inside of any of the transformers or other contained sections... i really like it but know its not up to par yet.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Mon 13, 2010 5:41 am 

Yes, there's a Sams, but the whole manual is available on Bama.

With 5 stages under AVC control it's doubtful the receiver could be overloaded, and as I recall due to the S-meter circuit design the meter won't respond in MVC mode.

The Sams would be valauble in your case as it includes the stage gain measurements.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Mon 13, 2010 5:50 am 

i'll try bama again , everytime i try i have trouble with bama, there is a riders i found a link to that shows pin voltages so that might help , i just saw a youtube video of one in operation and the meter swings way up and the sensitivity is great , thats whats lacking in mine , time to go to work on it, hopefully something like a resistor is off.

mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Mon 13, 2010 1:35 pm 

Have you tried Nostalgia Air? The scan isn't the best but it might help. It's the Riders information which is essentially a copy of portions of the National manual.

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByMode ... 012414.pdf

There is a mirrored site for BAMA which ususlly doesn't have problems. The complete manual is available here in .pdf or .gif:

http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/national/nc183/

The Sams version is in 49-15.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Mon 13, 2010 10:40 pm 

Thanks for the help the riders came in handy , most of the voltages are close or at where they should be , a couple off , checking resistors i'm finding a few way off so replacing them and hoping it helps out

mike