Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: The Souvenir Shop :: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Sat 19, 2014 11:06 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Brunswick Penalope Radiola radio record player
PostPosted: Jan Tue 04, 2011 2:38 am 

I found this radio available for $80. My brief research indicates the cabinet is made by Brunswick, as is the record player. It apparently employs a Radiola radio, but I don't know which model.
Does anyone have information and/or opinions about this radio? I like the cabinet which looks late 20s in style and am inclined to buy it. Are there any horror stories I should be aware of? I have never restored a 78 record player, what am I getting myself into?

Thanks,

barry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Tue 04, 2011 3:18 am 

The radio is a Brunswick AR 748 with a Panatrope record player. Another thread on this forum indicates the radio should be a Radiola 18. I have restored a Radiola 60, so I expect the 18 won't present any new challenges? I don't know what to expect with the record player.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Tue 04, 2011 4:44 am 

Does it look anything like the Panatrope I got last month?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Tue 04, 2011 11:33 pm 

I picked up the radio. It doesn't look like the Panatope pictured above.
This is a radio with a Panatope record player. On the underside of the lid, which is lifted to reveal the record player, is a label which reads "Brunswick Panatope with Radiola". Inside of the cabinet is an RCA label with all the patent numbers. This RCA label says " Model AR 748" and that it is "supplied to Brunswick-Balke-Collender Corporation."

I have not been able to find anything on an RCA model 748, although another thread on ARF indicates it might be an adaptation of a Radiola 18. Obviously, it would have to be adapted for the record player input. I sent an email to the Radiola Guy to see if he had any information on this RCA radio, but have not yet heard back.
I would appreciate any info on this radio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Tue 04, 2011 11:42 pm 

What you have is a Brunswick Panatrope Model P-11. It has the distinction of being the first all electric phonograph, it beat Victor by a couple of months.

No major problems with this set, the pickup will need to be rebuilt, and usually the large wirewound resistors in the Tomcat amplifier will be open and need to be replaced.

Here's a link to look at:

http://www.mulhollandpress.com/Brunsp11.htm

http://www.myvintagetv.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Tue 04, 2011 11:57 pm 

Thanks Chuck!
It's nice to know I have the first of something.
I assume the "pickup" you are referring to is the phono pickup? I have never worked on an old phonograph, can you direct me to a good resource for more information on how to rebuild this pickup?

Thanks,

Barry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Wed 05, 2011 12:06 am 

The Panatrope pictured is indeed, a P-11, and it has no radio chassis in it. I have one, which has the tomcat amplifier, as shown,. As Chuck A. says, the divider resistor in it will surely have lots of open sections.

I believe this set to be a later version of the P-11, because the stack for the ballast tube (876) vents through a hole in the back panel. The early Electrolas of Victor and the early Brunswick jobs just vented into the cabinet, and trapped a lot of heat. Everything inside got baked.

Now, if the one in question has a Radiola with it, you will need to tell us what model it has, by simply telling the tube complement. There were several RCA Radiola chassis that Brunswick used. I have several of them, myself.

And the other thing: Fer the luvva Pete, but yhe thing! That's a Helluva deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Wed 05, 2011 1:03 am 

Doug,
The tube line-up of the radio I have is that of a Radiola 18:
71A
26 26 26 26

Barry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Wed 05, 2011 2:12 am 

Here is an ARF thread with a picture of my radio.

http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/vie ... 2804b79370

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Wed 05, 2011 3:39 am 

Wow, the Panatrope with the Radiola is a very nice looking set.

That ballast bulb under the stack on my P-11 is an amazing thing. The base is an Edison screw, which appears to be the same as what is now called a medium Edison base.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Wed 05, 2011 4:03 am 

ChuckA wrote:
What you have is a Brunswick Panatrope Model P-11. It has the distinction of being the first all electric phonograph, it beat Victor by a couple of months.

Interesting! RCA let Brunswick use their electric phonograph chassis before Victor? I didn't know that.

I too have a Brunswick Panatrope. A PR-148-C I believe. With a Radiola 28 and 104 loudspeaker and amplifier chassis. However it is completely sans-tubes... It has a swing out door on the side with the loop antenna inside. Pretty impressive beast! Unless I find a bargain in tubes somewhere (yeah right) I don't think I will be restoring it anytime soon. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Wed 05, 2011 4:42 am 

FStephenMasek wrote:
Interesting! RCA let Brunswick use their electric phonograph chassis before Victor? I didn't know that. That ballast bulb under the stack on my P-11 is an amazing thing.

In that time period RCA would have sold to anyone. The phono wasn't an RCA product, the tomcat with the 104 speaker was, motor was GE.

There were two versions of the ballast used, the 876 and 886. The difference was in the current rating, I believe the 876, the most common used, was 2 amps, the 886 was 4 amps. The power transformers in the tomcat amplifiers have 88 volt primaries, so the ballast allowed them to operate over a wide range of input voltages a problem in 1925/26.

In a pinch you can use a 150 watt mogul base light bulb.

http://www.myvintagetv.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Wed 05, 2011 6:45 pm 

That's a beautiful set! I just finished restoring a 1929 Brunswick Panatrope S31. When I bought it it was missing the tonearm and I managed to find a suitable replacement here on the forum although the arm is supposed to be like the one in your photos. I spent about a year working on it. The magnetic pickup had to be restored. The best guy for the job is Gib at West-Tech Services. It'll run you about $100. I was able to find schematics at Nostalgia Air. Both of these are on the internet. I replaced all the tubes and found them on eBay. I redid the wiring with wire from Radio Daze.

Finishing a restoration on one of these is very satisfying. I would pick that one up in a heartbeat for $80.

Here's a link to mine:

http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/vie ... 8b03227f04

Post subject: Re: Brunswick Penalope Radiola radio record player
PostPosted: Mar Mon 03, 2014 6:10 am 

I am pretty new to collecting. I am trying to track down some info on a brunswick panatrope i bought at an estate sale. It is a model PR-5-C. Any ideas on where to look?

PostPosted: Mar Mon 03, 2014 6:22 pm 

Victor was still an independent company at the time this Brunswick was built, so there was no reason for then to not supply components to anyone with the money. That changed in 1929 when RCA bought Victor.

Jim

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mar Mon 03, 2014 6:31 pm 

FStephenMasek wrote:
Wow, the Panatrope with the Radiola is a very nice looking set.

That ballast bulb under the stack on my P-11 is an amazing thing. The base is an Edison screw, which appears to be the same as what is now called a medium Edison base.
Sorry for late response to this post. Just seen it this morning...

The standard incandescent lamp, rapidly becoming obsolete is the "medium Edison base." The screw base on the RCA Tomcat ballasts is the Mogul base, also on the larger Tungar rectifier bulbs. Certain Parlor lamps used the Mogul base with a ring for 3-way as did early street lamps.

Chas

PostPosted: Mar Mon 03, 2014 6:41 pm 

Guys, take a closer look at comment dates.

The thread is old, but hobbitjedi brought the thread back up looking for info on a Brunswick Panatrope PR 5 C which I'm not finding much info on myself.
It may be one of the phonograph only Panatropes?

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Mar Sat 08, 2014 1:31 am 

Well, you reminded me I need to get it working! I will work on it this year.