Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Sat 22, 2014 5:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: recipe for beer drinkers pickled pigs feet or knuckles
PostPosted: Feb Fri 04, 2011 3:20 am 

I grew up in a tavern which my parents owned. At the bar they used to sell pickled pigs feet knuckles and sausages. The company that made them was webers pickled products in newark n.j. They went out of business and I tried hormel and victoria brands and they both stink. They seem to be in a geletan and what I am looking for is a recipe that makes them in a watery vinegar type brine. I found a few recipe's but am not sure after cooking if the meat still remains red. There has to be several beer drinkers here who love them also. ANY IDEAS?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Fri 04, 2011 3:24 am 

Can,t help you with any recipes but i do remember them well. Have not have any in a long time
Stan Ski

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Fri 04, 2011 3:29 am 

Hi Stan. If a good recipe comes up they are on my snack menu. GOOD BEER & GOOD SNACKS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Fri 04, 2011 3:35 am 

We have similar versions in the South and there's no "cooking" involved. So yes, the meat remains red colored although "pickled" to prevent deterioration.

Look up ' escaviche' . There's 1001 words spelled similarly in English and Spanish that describe pickling seafood like squid, scallops, etc...even raw fish. Same drill as you use for meat.

If Curt were still here I'm sure he would comment on the fart-power of the red hot pickled boiled eggs that are still a breakfast staple in some places in the South :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Fri 04, 2011 4:07 am 

How about this brand? http://pickle-it.com/catalog/index.php?id=3 Seems to have overall good reviews...

I too remember the gallon jugs at the side of the bar, they also had tongue. All I liked was the hot sausage. The concept of feet and tongue, even the eggs, turned me off... I also was a fan of Beer nuts, but had to give them up, peanut allergy...

Former MA lic. radio/tv technician #53401

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Fri 04, 2011 5:15 am 

In the 50s my friend's dad would buy the gallon size and we would sneek in and eat them every chance we got. Really vinagery and spicy. I tried several brands a few years ago and about gagged. Don't think commercially made PF can compare to my memories.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Fri 04, 2011 5:44 am 

Mike Toon wrote:
In the 50s my friend's dad would buy the gallon size and we would sneek in and eat them every chance we got. Really vinagery and spicy. I tried several brands a few years ago and about gagged. Don't think commercially made PF can compare to my memories.

I think a chemically-laced *brand name* would be the kiss of death for what has always been a home-grown thing and would probably have the weenies jumping out of their suits in Washington trying to prohibit such home-grown delicacies. Its probably illegal to sell such things in a rural store but they probably didn't receive the Federal Memo.

Blind Robins, anybody?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Fri 04, 2011 7:04 am 

Yeah, boy.. good old stuff like the small country General Store's
Pickle Barrel would never fly in this day of the Food Nazis. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Fri 04, 2011 9:02 am 

Chas wrote:
How about this brand? http://pickle-it.com/catalog/index.php?id=3 Seems to have overall good reviews...

I too remember the gallon jugs at the side of the bar, they also had tongue. All I liked was the hot sausage. The concept of feet and tongue, even the eggs, turned me off... I also was a fan of Beer nuts, but had to give them up, peanut allergy...

Mmmmm, beer nuts! What part of the hog did they come from? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Fri 04, 2011 3:06 pm 

Come to the Kutztown show in May. You will find pickled pigs feet, locally known as "souse" at the butcher stands in the farmers' market.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Fri 04, 2011 4:08 pm 
Silent Key

Never could wrap my mind or tongue around pigs feet. Did like boiled eggs and beer though. No one around for 50 yards after a few of those.

I like those big pickles. They had them individually wrapped some time ago. Haven't seen them for a while.

I but the big gallon jar of "huge" pickles. One or two makes a good snack with Ritz crackers.

Frappppppp!!!