Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Sat 01, 2014 2:06 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Question, Is There Any Market For 35mm Film Cameras?
PostPosted: Feb Thu 17, 2011 4:48 pm 

Not radio related of course, but I was wondering if a Pentax K1000 35mm film camera with extra lens, filters, extention tubes, flashes, etc. was worth anything in this age of digital cameras.
Should I waste my money advertising this?

EDIT: 33mm? well that is what I get for typing with one finger too FAST.... :lol:

==============================

Last edited by Bill Benson on Feb Sat 19, 2011 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Thu 17, 2011 4:59 pm 

not much. I bought one for school in the late 90's. Digital had just come out and was expensive. For the class we needed 35mm. My 400 dollar investment sold on "auction site" for less than 100 bucks.
Mine was mint. I probably only ran 10 rolls thru it if that. If I remember right I planed my shots and was able to get all my assignments onto one roll instead of the 7 rolls the professor guessed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Thu 17, 2011 5:21 pm 

Bill,

Just as our old radios have value only to us, a film camera probably only has value to someone who is seriously into photography as a hobby or business. You might want to post your question and/or advertise on one of the photography forums (that isn't all digital) like:

http://photo.net/
http://photocamel.com/forum/

Hope this helps.

Chuck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Thu 17, 2011 7:05 pm 

It's getting Impossible to find a Local camera store, let alone one that even develops film. Kodacolor is no longer for sale, at least here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Thu 17, 2011 7:17 pm 

It depends but I always buy them at around 10-20 dollars.

The problem is finding where to process the film now a days.

Is your film camera the type that uses reels or cartridges?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Thu 17, 2011 7:25 pm 

If you post it on Ebait, and do an international listing, you can usually find someone in Asia or Europe that's a collector. Kinda like old scuba gear, some people want one of EVERYTHING the manufacturer ever made.
Jaybird

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Thu 17, 2011 10:26 pm 

Thanks everyone for the replys.

==============================

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Thu 17, 2011 10:51 pm 

Bill make sure to research the Lenses sometimes they can be worth alot more than the camera. Kris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Thu 17, 2011 11:14 pm 

I know a couple whacky nut jobs that collect cameras.

BTW, I heard some goof balls even collect radios!! HAH!!!

Have a nice day
Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Thu 17, 2011 11:26 pm 

From what the guy in the local photography store her said, some lenses from the old film cameras also fit onto newer digital cameras. If they're good lens's, then they might, as posted above, be worth more alone than the camera as a whole.

I can still get film developed right across the alley from my shop.
So I still shoot film with my Minolta Maxxum7000. Inherited from my father in law. Shoots awsome pictures, even though I'm a lousy photographer. I just point it and let it determine all the best settings.
I don't know how this will fly, but just for fun thought I'd post this photo, one of about a dozen I shot of an airplane making a low pass. I just held the shutter button down and let the camera click-whirr-click-whirr... You can see it here between the stacks. I't's a P3. Canadian.
My point is that film is still wonderful stuff, it's just expensive for taking large numbers of pictures. But I'd hope you might consider using your camera rather than getting rid of it? Photograph your radios?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Thu 17, 2011 11:46 pm 

A bajillion of those were sold.
A buddy of mine loved it because it would continue to work and be useful even when the battery was dead. It was completely mechanical in operation and the only thing the battery powered was the light meter information used by the operator (not the camera!) to set the exposure.

Post subject: Re: Question, Is There Any Market For 33mm Film Cameras?
PostPosted: Feb Fri 18, 2011 1:25 am 

Bill Benson wrote:
Not radio related of course, but I was wondering if a Pentax K1000 35mm film camera with extra lens, filters, extention tubes, flashes, etc. was worth anything in this age of digital cameras.
Should I waste my money advertising this?

Popular Photography magazine every month has ads from companies that buy film cameras. Perhaps give them A call?

Life is good..
Ride safe.
John L

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Fri 18, 2011 5:07 am 

Having grown up with my Dad's Argus C-3, I still prefer 35mm over digital, although I have a digital camera.
Just bought a complete , like new Argus C-3 on E-Bay for $38.00 plus shipping, as I sold Dad's Argus years ago. Also bought a like new Canon AE-1 for $100.00 plus shipping. Like the Argus C-3, a bazillion AE-1's were made and it's a great 35mm camera:)-Gearhead

Last edited by gearhead222 on Feb Fri 18, 2011 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Fri 18, 2011 5:17 am 

There is perhaps a market for a 35mm camera. But a 33mm? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Fri 18, 2011 1:23 pm 

Just went thru this exercise this past summer. When I was in the Ait Force in the 60's stationed in the PI I bought a Ashi Pentex Spotmatic and several lenes, telephoto and wide angle.
I've been facing the fact that life doesn't go on forever so I've been in the, lets thin things out mood for a year or so now. Thought I'd get rid of my old film stuff since the digital camera and Photoshop is all I use now and they truley has come into their own and replaced film.
I joined a couple of groups and forums and found that the same thing that has already been said, a lot of this stuff was sold and is still around and there isn't much demand for it. There are some very specialy coated lenses that the collectors look for but other than that it's pretty much a give away at this stage and probably will be for another 50 years.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Fri 18, 2011 1:39 pm 

As stated above the lens is sometimes more valuable than the camera body.

I have a Nikon digital SLR camera. It will accept a standard Nikon 35mm lens so I always keep an eye out for old used Nikons. When using old lenses I have to focus it manually but I have managed to pick up a couple of nice lenses attached to older 35mm cameras.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Fri 18, 2011 1:40 pm 

I have a small collection of cameras.... display pieces of "what once was".

But I'll never part with my K-1000. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Fri 18, 2011 9:59 pm 

Bill,
I'd try it on eBay. I sold my old Minolta SRT-101 to a guy in Singapore for $200. It had been overhauled a few years ago. There is still a market for them. I just bought a Canon EOS-1 that uses the same lenses as my Canon Digital.

I still shoot lots of film and develop my own B&W. Developing your own film is easy and fun, even for color film. Once it is developed you can get it scanned easily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Fri 18, 2011 10:31 pm 

I'm surprised nobody has come up with digital retrofits for 35mm cameras.

It seems logical to my little pea brain, but then, I suppose companies wouldn't be selling new high-end digital cameras. :?

-Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Sat 19, 2011 1:53 am 

Last I checked, the K1000 was still the student camera of choice and photography students were required to shoot some 35mm B&W for their lessons.

It is a very basic camera and pretty ordinary in performance. I personally wouldn't own one, but it does fill a niche.

I once imagined a sort of digital film that looked like a 35mm cassette with a stub that held the sensor. It would work on cameras that have a removeable back, since you could provide extra depth for the electronics and battery.

I did see a prototype of a similar idea, but I don't think it progressed much beyond just an idea. No doubt a practical design was too large and battery-hungry.

Not to mention the userbase of 35mm is shrinking daily. There may have been a brief period where enough people had a big investment in 35mm and digital gear was still very pricey with marginal performance that a digi-film thingy may have sold.

I've got a couple cases of gear that hasn't seen film in 5 years. Guess I shoulda dumped it when it had some sort of value. A year ago a Nikon F3 was still worth a hundred or two, more if it was a rare version or pristine.

Usually the old top of the line stuff manages to hold a decent value. Be it cars, cameras or radios, real quality never goes completely out of style.

-Ed

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 21 posts ]  Moderator: pixellany Go to page 1, 2  Next