Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Tue 23, 2014 4:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sears Silvertone Radio
PostPosted: May Wed 11, 2011 12:20 am 

Hello All:

I'm sure you guys get a ton of these questions, but her's one more. I picked up this radio at a yard sale last weekend for $20. The guy had a few radios, but this one looked the most interesting to me. Its a Sears Silvertone, and quite frankly I'm not sure its actually a radio. Its got no knobs or other controls of any kind. It didnt come with a power cord or any other accessories. The seller said he thought it is a drive-in movie speaker, but I'm not sure sure since it does have tubes inside it, so its gotta have a built in amplifier or tuner of some sort. The body looks rusty at first glance, but I believe that its a deep red paint?

I'm interested to hear what you guys think of it and if I paid an appropriate amount for it. Thanks

Picture #1
Picture #2
Picture #3
Picture #4
Picture #5

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Wed 11, 2011 12:27 am 

It looks like an old car radio. These were typically mounted under the dash but had a control head that mounted on the steering column that had the controls for tuning and volume with mechanical/electrical linkages.

Its missing its head!

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Wed 11, 2011 1:55 am 

Jack is correct...it is a 6-volt car radio: Silvertone Model 6302

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/sears_roeb_101598_6302.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Wed 11, 2011 2:39 am 

Thanks for the responses guys. I guess without the additional parts there's little chance it will ever work again. Did I do well on it for $20? Just as a conversation piece alone I'm thinking it was well worth it. I love the art deco look of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Wed 11, 2011 3:02 am 

Usually there is zero interest among vintage car owners for aftermarket radios like the Silvertone.

Some vintage truck owners might purchase and install a restored aftermarket radio like that one because most trucks before WW2 never had a radio option available.

Antique radio collectors have almost zero interest in car radios as display items, unless they also happen to be car collectors.

If you like the looks of it, then it may be worth $20 to you as a display piece.

Without the control head, which is going to be difficult if not impossible to find the correct head with the cables to match your radio, it is pretty much worthless other than as a parts unit. They often show up at car swap meets with little interest if the head is not present, probably 90% of them are missing.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Thu 12, 2011 12:39 am 

Here you go:

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Thu 12, 2011 5:11 pm 

I agree. It's a neat piece for sure. That would, in fact, be red paint. You can see a couple spots of actual surface rust beginning with a more orange hue. I would have tried getting it lower, but for a display piece with other auto collectibles, not too bad. Cool find, and welcome to ARF.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Sat 14, 2011 2:59 am 

Hi,
Theoretically, you could recap and get the set working again. However as you can see, you would have to have some kind of cable setup to conntrol the volume and tuning.

They used a speedometer-like cable to lint the head to the receiver. So after turning on the set, you would have no idea of where it was tuned to, and have to adjust the volume manually thru the cable hole.
If a fellow was ingenious enough, he could make some basic head ofr the set.
I still would hang onto it. I see control heads on Epay still without the radio, so you never know what will come up.

That is a red wrinkle paint, and I like the 'deco' chrome design.

Don't throw it away whatever you do :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Wed 18, 2011 1:25 am 

hey, I stopped checking on this topic after the first couple days, came back and was surprised to find more responses. Thanks for the advertisement badrestorer.

I'll keep an eye on ebay for a head unit for it, but it will probably end up just being a display piece. I have a couple other older radios that are in functioning condition, and I don't even really listen to them. The main reason I bought it was for the great art deco look.

And I definitely wont be throwing it out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Wed 18, 2011 6:30 pm 

EO1986 wrote:
hey, I stopped checking on this topic after the first couple days, came back and was surprised to find more responses. Thanks for the advertisement badrestorer.

I'll keep an eye on ebay for a head unit for it, but it will probably end up just being a display piece. I have a couple other older radios that are in functioning condition, and I don't even really listen to them. The main reason I bought it was for the great art deco look.

And I definitely wont be throwing it out!

I have seen some control heads go for good money sometimes , there maybe other control heads That might work besides silvertone , quess you could get it working then tune in one station , and set vol , let it play now and then , most of these radios sound good and preform great

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Wed 18, 2011 7:05 pm 

Now All ya need is a deep cycle 6.8 volt battery test her with
please replace your Electroylic condensers in the power supply
near the set's vibrator transformer..I'm presently redoing my Philco
802 for 47' Plymouth,P-15 Deluxe sedan...I have to replace/restuff mine..getting rid of those "Beeswax"foil caps also ..with new Poly mylar ones that don't "Leak" :D

Post subject: Re: Sears Silvertone Radio
PostPosted: Sep Thu 05, 2013 12:30 pm 

There seems to be almost zero interest in old car radios which I don't understand. I've seen several around, and the owners can't give them away. I understand you can buy a modern set that will plug and play and looks like an original, but I would think the car guys would want original radios in their cars. If for no other reason than the "cool" factor. I had a 1949 Oldsmobile in high school that had the original radio. Got it fixed and used to listen to WLS out of Chicago all the time. Later I had a 1939 Oldsmobile that had an option for a radio, but I could never find one. That car used the running boards as the antenna and had a wind vane thing that mounted on the engine up towards the front that would increase the radios volume when your speed increased. Maybe in the future they original car radios will catch on and be a huge collectors item....buy them now and be ready!

PostPosted: Sep Thu 05, 2013 12:51 pm 

Another 2 1/2 year old thread resurrected.

Larry

PostPosted: Sep Thu 05, 2013 3:08 pm 

Larry, you've gotta think of the forums as a great library trove of model info in addition to just being a day-to-day discussion board. The fact that you CAN revive an 8-year-old thread is one of the coolest things about it!

And hey, this one's only 2-1/2. It's still a baby! We're discussing 75 y.o. radios! :D

Rodney

PostPosted: Sep Fri 06, 2013 12:59 am 

I found one the other day and have not checked it out yet. I remember when a kid in the 60's I had a 39 Ford sedan with one that worked. I don't have the car today, but what the heck. I do have a 1930 Ford 5 window coupe. Would be nice to have a radio in it too!

sitn 8)

PostPosted: Sep Fri 06, 2013 1:18 am 

palegreenthumb wrote:
Larry, you've gotta think of the forums as a great library trove of model info in addition to just being a day-to-day discussion board. The fact that you CAN revive an 8-year-old thread is one of the coolest things about it!

And hey, this one's only 2-1/2. It's still a baby! We're discussing 75 y.o. radios! :D

Rodney

Some folks get annoyed at opening a thread and starting to read it only to find out it's an old thread and the resurrecting post has absolutely nothing to do with the original post and has accomplished nothing more than to push other threads off the front page. I'm one of those people. That might rub some folks the wrong way but that's my view on resurrecting old threads. If it's the OP or the new post is relevant to the original discussion is one thing but in this case the OP was asking if what he bought was a radio. That was answered in detail. Nothing new was added to the original discussion. Just my $.02.

Larry

PostPosted: Sep Fri 06, 2013 1:51 am 

I got your point. Don't expect me to get on here again.

sitn