Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Sat 22, 2017 5:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Telefunken D779 WK Trop?
PostPosted: May Sun 29, 2011 4:47 am 

I just picked up this Telefunken radio today, and I can't find anything about this particular model. It looks similar to an Allegro, but it simply has a "Hi-Fi" badge on the front.

As it is, this thing lights up, but there is no sound... not even a hum. Before I delve any further, I'd like to make sure the correct tubes are in it. Too bad this thing doesn't even tell you what tubes should be in it, and where they go. Right now, they are (from left to right) 6BX6, 6AJ6 (? hard to read), 6DA6, 6CV7, EL84, 6V4. Does that sounds about right? Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Sun 29, 2011 1:26 pm 

The model number and tube lineup would have been on the back cover.
6BX6 = EF80
6AJ8 = ECH81
6DA6 = EF89
6CV7 = EBC41
EL84
6V4 = EZ80
Should have a EM84 or EM80 too.

D778WK
http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/telefunken ... 778_w.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Mon 30, 2011 3:18 am 

Thanks for the advice. Strangely, the tube configuration is listed nowhere on this radio!

After an evening fiddling around with this unit, it turned out the only thing wrong with this radio was a seemingly homebrew on-off switch in the back that killed the current to the internal speakers, and routed the sound to an external jack. If the switch isn't in the right position, you get no sound! The wire to the internal antenna also had been disconnected.

I took a chance and picked this up for 5 bucks because it "didn't work". Sometimes, taking a chance pays off. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Thu 02, 2011 5:53 am 

Just one more question. The AM band on this radio is working fine, but the short wave bands seem to be having trouble. It receives very few stations, and the ones that it does receive are very very faint. There is a strip of foil (internal antenna?) that is hooked up, but do these radios often require an outside antenna? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Thu 02, 2011 6:25 am 

Yes a long wire antenna would help immensely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Thu 02, 2011 2:31 pm 

The foil is for FM. It should have a lead that just fits the FM connector. AM and SW connectors should be too wide. SW usually doesn't have an antenna, so a wire hanging out the back will greatly help, something like 6 feet or so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Thu 02, 2011 4:00 pm 

...this one doesn't have FM (AM and four SW bands). I think the 'Trop' designation has something to do with this (an export model specifically intended for 'tropical' locations that had little or no FM or TV at the time and would have been 'dependent' on short wave for information)...

Post subject: Re: Telefunken D779 WK Trop?
PostPosted: Aug Sat 13, 2011 9:30 pm 

Is this radio for sale? I had used a Telefunken D799 WK trop as an SWL many, many years ago and am looking to buy one for sentimental reasons even if ti does not work. Thanks!