Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Mon 16, 2018 2:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: WTB: "unusual" vintage digital clocks (Nixie, Panaplex, etc)
PostPosted: Jul Thu 12, 2018 4:28 am 

I'm looking for vintage digital clocks that use display technology OTHER than LEDs, and multi-digit VFDs, such as: nixie tubes, panaplex readouts, individual neon bulbs, or even individual VFD tubes (as in, a separate tube per digit).
I know there are plenty of modern Nixie clocks available on eBay, but I am primarily looking for kit and factory built clocks (as described above) made prior to 1990's, which are much harder to come by.

Pictured are the sorts of clocks I am looking for (I already own these exact ones).
Note that I might make an exception for early (pre-1975) LED clocks, if they are interesting enough.
Since I know a lot of you collect vintage electronics in general, I figured it was worth asking in here.

Attachments:
Panaplex clock small.jpg
Panaplex clock small.jpg [ 99.08 KiB | Viewed 145 times ]
Nixie clock.jpg
Nixie clock.jpg [ 77.66 KiB | Viewed 145 times ]
VFD clock small.jpg
VFD clock small.jpg [ 92.93 KiB | Viewed 145 times ]

Post subject: Re: WTB: "unusual" vintage digital clocks (Nixie, Panaplex,
PostPosted: Jul Thu 12, 2018 5:35 am 

There's always a few Soviet made Nixie clocks that date from the 70s and 80s on Ebay.

Post subject: Re: WTB: "unusual" vintage digital clocks (Nixie, Panaplex,
PostPosted: Jul Thu 12, 2018 1:21 pm 

The problem with Eastern (and Western) European clocks is that they are setup to run off of 220 volts at 50hz, and since most use the line frequency to drive the timekeeping circuit, it's not just a mater of rewiring them for 120 volts (which is not always possible anyway).
I'm mainly looking for clocks that would be "plug and play" on normal power from a US outlet, but I might make an exception for something really nice.