Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Tue 02, 2014 2:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Telefunken Bajazzo 56
PostPosted: Jan Sun 29, 2006 4:15 pm 

How significant a find is this 1956 tube portable? It's a true portable, much smaller than a TO, but LW/MW/SW/FM coverage. Eight tubes. The usual piano keys on the front. Domestic (German) version, with Euro AC plus and German-language labeling. Fair to good shape overall. Case is very good except for missing logo on front and a sharp piece of metal pokes through the edge of the back. Chassis looks very good but needs a going over to reconnect broken external wiring. Other than the tube lineup and freq coverage, I couldn't find all that much info on the web.<P>------------------<BR>Avery W3AVE

PostPosted: Jan Sun 29, 2006 4:37 pm 

The interesting thing about these European tube portables is that they have FM. I don't think I've ever seen a '50's American tube portable with FM. I have a Grundig and a Philips of this vintage. The Philips actually has a small tuning "eye" that looks like an explanation point. Both are fine performers. Maybe others can tell you how significant a find these are but I like them.<P>Dave<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Jan Sun 29, 2006 7:04 pm 

Here in Europe, small Telefunkens of this period are quite common. I haven't seen a battery powered one yet, but the tabletop model seems to be abundant. I have one of about the same era (non-portable). The tube line-up in these (ECC85, EM84, ECH 81, EF 89, EABC80, EL84) seems to be very standard for this period (I have 3 with the same line-up). Good luck on finding more information. You may check with the Swedish radio museum (http://www.radiomuseet.se/radiome.htm) or Jan (http://www.die-wuestens.de/eindex.htm) for more infomation.<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Jan Sun 29, 2006 9:25 pm 

Avery wrote:
<font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by scott_in_sweden:<BR><B>Here in Europe, small Telefunkens of this period are quite common. I haven't seen a battery powered one yet, but the tabletop model seems to be abundant. I have one of about the same era (non-portable). The tube line-up in these (ECC85, EM84, ECH 81, EF 89, EABC80, EL84) seems to be very standard for this period (I have 3 with the same line-up). Good luck on finding more information. You may check with the Swedish radio museum (http://www.radiomuseet.se/radiome.htm) or Jan (http://www.die-wuestens.de/eindex.htm) for more infomation.<P></B><HR>
<P>Thanks, Scott. Yes, I know the tabletops are common, but this is a different animal. The tube lineup: DC90, (3) DF96, DK92, DAF96, and (2) DL94. I'll check out the resources you suggested.<P>------------------<BR>Avery W3AVE

PostPosted: Jan Mon 30, 2006 4:22 pm 

Hi Avery<P>Such portable radios are quite rare, as they were very expensive when new and suffered more from the use they were made for ;-)<P>If you have a model name, i can send you the matching schematic (i hope...)<P>Be careful, as some Grundig models (don't know if the Telefunken's also) needed the heating accumulator in place when used on mains - otherwise the filaments burt out...<P>Kind regards, Walter<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Jan Mon 30, 2006 5:03 pm 

Avery wrote:
<font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by walterh:<BR><B>Hi Avery<P>Such portable radios are quite rare, as they were very expensive when new and suffered more from the use they were made for ;-)<P>If you have a model name, i can send you the matching schematic (i hope...)<P>Be careful, as some Grundig models (don't know if the Telefunken's also) needed the heating accumulator in place when used on mains - otherwise the filaments burt out...<P>Kind regards, Walter<P></B><HR>
<P>Walter, I'd love a schematic. Do you need more information than is in the subject line of the thread? The model is the Bajazzo 56. Thanks for your kind offer.<P>------------------<BR>Avery W3AVE

PostPosted: Jan Tue 31, 2006 4:20 pm 

Hello Avery<P>See your mailbox for the schematic.<P>Kind regards, Walter<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Jan Tue 31, 2006 5:14 pm 

Avery wrote:
<font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by walterh:<BR><B>Hello Avery<P>See your mailbox for the schematic.<P>Kind regards, Walter<P></B><HR>
<P>Thanks very much for your time and efforts, Walter.<P><P>------------------<BR>Avery W3AVE