Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Mon 28, 2014 9:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: KLH Model Eleven
PostPosted: Jan Sat 07, 2006 8:16 pm 

What year was this portable introduced ? A walnut shelf version followed and was made up until 1971. The portable was the Worlds first transistorized high fidelity portable. <P>------------------<BR>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sat 10, 2007 1:23 am 

Hi.

The KLH Model Eleven "suitcase" stereo went into production around 1965, I believe. I have one in the corner of the living room in flawless, working condition with original manual, original speaker and power cords (the power cord uses a strange connector and it's very hard to find another one so if you have one, don't lose it!).. anyway I don't use mine, it's just kind of collecting dust, but I've owned it since the 1970s and it still works perfectly

The Model Eleven was made in a few different incarnations:

- the gray three-piece suitcase model
- the same model but covered in white vinyl instead of gray
- in a three-piece walnut model called the Model Eleven-W
- in a variation with an AM or FM tunng dial (or both, I forget)..

They were all basically variations on the same theme. I am a HUGE fan of the Henry Kloss-era KLH stereos and radios.. I also own a KLH Model Twenty-One FM table radio (an absolute classic) which I bought for myself as a birthday present brand new for about $80.00 in 1967.. I used it for decades but decided to preserve, although it works perfectly, and being a packrat, I kept its original box, instructions, warranty card, inspection slip, and have it tucked away in a closet.. they are common on eBay, some in excellent states of preservation and some quite beat up.. mine is close to perfect but since I don't use it any more, I decided to put it back in its box to preserve it.. just try to find one on eBay with all the original packaging and inserts ;)

Besides the Model Eleven suitcase stereo, and the Model Twenty one FM table radio, (which are both "resting").. I also have a KLH Model Twenty stereo system with original Model Twenty speakers.. this was KLH's top of the line stereo back around 1967 when it sold for $500.00.. when I bought my KLH radio I drooled all over a Model Twenty at the same music store (remember music stores that sold records, sheet music, radios, and stereos?).. it's the much bigger brother of the Model Eleven which had 10 watts per channel.. in between them was the Model Twenty Four with, I think, 20 or 24 watts per channel, and then the Model Twenty top of the line with 50 watts per channel and huge walnut speakers with 10" woofers. Here's a picture of my KLH Model Twenty system, well, most of it:

http://www.amigazone.com/images/june/vintage.jpg

Sitting atop its left-hand speaker is one of a pair of Micro-Acoustics MS-1 MicroStatic "super tweeters" I picked up this whole system from three different sellers off eBay over the last couple of years.. those "super tweeters" are wired in series with the Model Twenty's main speakers.. between the speaker (one of a pair) and the console (which has the optional fancy wood and plexiglas lid).. is a circa 1979 Pioneer CTF-900 three head cassette deck, also in Mint condition.. from Pioneer's "Silver Age" classic period of the late 1970s.. sometime in the early 1980s, the Silver look went out, the quality went down, CDs came in in 1982, most stereo mfg. switched from Japan to China, and that was that.. depsite the age of my Model Twenty system, it sounds absolutely incredible..

Sometime last year I went on a frenzied search and collected as many pictures of KLH audio equipment I could find, and here it is and you're welcome to it.. you'll find pictures of all the variants of the KLH Model Eleven (or "11") in it.. along with their other 1960s models of radios and compact stereos.. no I don't own all of this equipment, just the stuff I explained above, so these pictures came from many sources - eBay auctions, and many Web sites.. but you'll see just about everything KLH ever made while Kloss was running the company..

http://www.amigazone.com/images/june/klhstuff.zip

Generally speaking, the older ones have the beige plastic knobs, which then morphed into silvery knobs a few years later.. then they started making the ugly stuff and Henry Kloss bailed and started his next company, Advent.. there should be some good history sites about Kloss but basically, the companies he founded and ran before he passed away a few years ago were Acoustic Research (AR), KLH, Advent, and Cambridge Soundworks..

He was the Grand Old Man of the "East Coast" HiFi mfrs., an absolute genius when it came to audio equipment design, and a huge proponent of acoustic suspension speaker systems, which all his vintage equipment has.. I have a nice pile of original KLH sales brochures, owners manuals, all that stuff..

I could talk about this stuff all day but I'll shut up for now :)

Harv

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sat 10, 2007 1:46 am 

He did indeed make some good stuff. Don't happen to have a couple of knobs for a KLH Model Eight, by chance? Or an owner's manual? Elusive stuff, that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sat 10, 2007 3:44 am 
Actually the KLH model 11 dates back to late 1962.
it was reviewed in audio magazine in '62 and in
Consumer Reports in March of '63.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sat 10, 2007 8:13 am 

Hi Mort,

Do you mean that you need an original user's manual or just a copy of it ?

George

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sat 10, 2007 2:30 pm 

Hi George,

I would like to get an original, but that might be difficult. A good copy would work. I found one on the web, but it's not too good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sat 17, 2007 9:55 am 

Hi Mort,

Terribly sorry, I had not checked back this discussion and I had not seen your reply.

I can send you a very good copy (from an unused original manual) if you wish. Please e-mail me your postal address.

As you found a copy on the net you know that you should not expect too much information in the manual though.
It is very simple as it describes very simple operation.

George

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Fri 13, 2007 10:25 pm 

Thanks for the info, late 1962 makes sense since the Eleven w followed the Eleven suitcase. In a 1996 Kloss interview, the year 1960 was mentioned which did not make sense. the Two Klh items I still want are the Model Eleven radio which was made for factory use at KLH. It stood virtically- 11 inches tall -5 inches wide. Maybe only 100 of these were made. The other item I really would love to find is the Model Eight stereo prototype, very very rare.

Antique Radio Classified has published two of my KLH articles, June 2005 - models 8,13,21. And phonograghs in the March 2006 issue. These can be viewed online on the ARC web archive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Sun 15, 2007 12:42 pm 

I have two of the model 21 FM radio a great little set i also have 3 of the model 18 FM tunners i need the meter for one i got it off of ebay and the dam fool had removed it they work great pluged in the phono jack of my big ZENITH'S i have a pair of AR9's i got in 1979 i still used them SMITHY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Sun 03, 2007 7:23 am 

m82a1pa wrote:
He did indeed make some good stuff. Don't happen to have a couple of knobs for a KLH Model Eight, by chance? Or an owner's manual? Elusive stuff, that.

I found some very good replacements made by GTE, Black aluminum with 2 setscrews. About 10 bucks each here in USA. The indicators are white pointers instead of white lines, but very close to the originals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Sun 03, 2007 2:14 pm 

Hi Kent,

The knobs you describe sound very close to the ones that I ordered from Mouser. Appreciate it.