Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Wed 03, 2014 3:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Show Us Your Phonograph Collection
PostPosted: Jun Wed 28, 2006 3:07 am 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
The consensus of the moderator team is that this topic will be for photos of restored phonographs only, with discussion limited to the photos or the phonographs posted. Please post pictures of phonographs in your collection right on this thread, and please avoid posting links to your website or other phonograph sites. Pictures of any phonograph, or radio-phonograph, including consoles, may be posted and there is no limit to the number of pictures you may post. Please avoid posting borrowed pictures from the internet.

Please give a description of each set, with the make and model number. If you use an outside hosting service such as Photobucket, please limit picture size to a maximum width of 800 pixels. If you use the ARF attachment feature, pictures should be less than 800 x 800 pixels and not larger than 256kb in size in order for them to post as a picture. There are a number of free photo editors you can download to allow you to crop and resize your pictures before you post them.

This thread was originally posted by a member named Matthew in 2006.

Now, show us your phonograph collection!

--The ARF Moderator Team

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Fri 30, 2006 12:36 am 

I have over 30 phonographs. Here are some of the more presentable ones. RCA made six table model and portable 45-rpm record players between 1949 through 1957 that had push-pull output stages. I have all six, here are four of them. Back right is a 1952 Model 45-EY-4. Back left is a 1954 a 45-HY-4 , the first New Orthophonic High Fidelity model. It came out while they were still selling the 45-EY-4 but at $69.95, it cost $20 more than the EY-4. Front left is a 1956 7-HF-45 in a maple veneer cabinet, the first model to have a separate tweeter and woofer. Front right is a 1957 8-HF-45P the portable version and the last model to use a push-pull amplifier.

This console is a 1958 RCA SHP-9. It has a twin cabinet for the left channel speakers. This was the first year for stereo phonographs. Each channel of the amplifier has three AF amp stages and a single ended 6V6 output stage. The left and right output transformer primaries are connected out of phase and the cartridge is out of phase to simulate push pull output when in the monaural mode. Even the mono tuner has a phase inverter so it works the same way. It's like putting 2 batteries in parallel, you double the available power but the light isn't any brighter.

1954 Zenith Cobra-Matic All Speed phonograph with neon backlit Stroboscope

1954 Webcor Ravinia console on display and for sale locally.

ImageImage

1954 RCA Victor 45-EY-4

1954 RCA Victor 45-EY-3

1954 RCA 3-HES-5 New Orthophonic High Fidelity phonograph
ImageImage

1955 RCA Victor 6-HF-4

1954 Webcor Musicale Portable

BIC 980 Found unused in three factory boxes, walnut base, dust cover and turntable.

Last edited by Doug VanCleave on Aug Sat 11, 2012 3:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Wed 05, 2006 10:15 pm 

Here's 50% of my phono collection (The other half is a Columbia Q). Friend of mine, radio collector, had this "Mediterranean" Victor and didn't like the styling. I said I did, so he gave it to me. It's a Radiola 17 but I don't remember the Victor model.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Thu 06, 2006 5:55 pm 

Here are a few of mine... First up is the workhorse of my collection, my 1946 Zenith 7R070 portable radio/phono. I bought this one on eBay, and the seller said it "worked." All too often that means the radio will pull in one super strong station, if you take it outside, lick your finger and touch the antenna terminal. Or the record player works, but it plays at half the proper speed, and would sound great... if it had a needle. Imagine my surprise when it arrived, and I found that the radio is very sensitive and selective, and that the phono turns at a dead-accurate 78RPM. It's covered in the Trans-Oceanic's black stag, and also carries the radio's latch on top (minus the "Trans-Oceanic" lettering on the bottom catch). The thing's incredible.

Next up is one of my two Zenith phono/oscillators. This one is the S-8501. The motor works fine, but that's about all I can attest to. The cartridge is surely stone dead, and the idler wheel is shot. Since the cartridge doesn't put out, I don't know if the transmitter works or not. Quite the nifty thing, though, and one day it'll be as close to new as I can make it.
Under the hood we have (L-R) 100-76 ballast, 35Z4GT rect., and 12SA7 osc. And a big honking piece of asbestos.

My other Zenith phono/oscillator (S-9001) isn't nearly as fancy as this one. It's a simple low box with rounded ends, and the platter and tonearm are exposed on top. I'd take a picture of it, but it's at my parents' house (also known as "Storage Facility No. 1").

Next is my Amberola 30 in it's accessory cabinet.
Image Image Image
I've got two Edison Diamond Disc players, too, but the folks are guarding them for me as well. One's the common mahogany Chippendale (C-250), and the other is the little mahogany upright Hepplewhite (H-19).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Sun 07, 2007 6:11 am 

Here's a new item in my collection -- an RCA 45-J record changer (45 RPM) from 1951. It's a cute little guy with a bakelite case.
Recognize the 45 record on there?

And another item I've picked up recently - a Victor VV-VI tabletop player with enclosed horn:

And then there's my "old" stuff, like this Brunswick player, which can handle both vertical and horizontal cut records:
To see this guy in its two configurations, look here:
http://antiqueradios.com/gallery/view_p ... figuration
http://antiqueradios.com/gallery/view_p ... figuration

And finally, my Edison Amberola V clyinder player:
(I wasn't as good a photographer back when I took this picture... and yes, now I know that that sleeve doesn't go with that cylinder!)

There are more pictures of all of these in the Phonograph Gallery if you want to see more.

Coming someday (when I take the time to restore it) - an Edison Standard cylinder player.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Thu 01, 2007 7:44 pm 

Here's a few of mine. I don't have photos of most, so I - ahem - borrowed a couple from other sources.

A Voice of Music 562 Hi-Fi in black - mine doesn't have legs.

An RCA "New Orthophonic" Hi-Fi 45 player in Mahogany.

My Zenith Console SF2580 in Early American style maple. This is my own photo I took when I brought this puppy home.

An Edison Fireside Model A Cylinder player. Wish mine looked as good as this!

Gerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Mon 19, 2007 12:45 am 

Well, here's the first in my Phonograph collection. Got it off eBay.
Been wanting one for years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Thu 12, 2007 2:54 pm 

O.K. You've convinced me. Here are some of my toys. The first one here is my big favorite. It's my 1947 Newcomb AV-16 10 Watt Transcription player. I love it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Thu 12, 2007 3:09 pm 

Here are two more of my favorites. My 1946 Grantline 78 RPM record player, and, notice the neat style plastic bullet shaped tone arm on it., And my 1950 Webster Chicago 3 spd. Portable phonograph.

Bill Cahill :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Thu 12, 2007 3:17 pm 

What? You say you want more? How about this Jewel. I broght this back to live from junk parts. My 1905 Edison "HOme" cylinder phonograph model B converted to 2-4 min. With original Edison crane, and Babson Bros. Brass horn. It plays beutifully!!!!!!

Bill Cahill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Thu 12, 2007 4:24 pm 

More of mine:

This is what I currently have in my cubicle at work:

Some more still in the shed:

Still more to come!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Thu 19, 2007 2:15 am 

Here are a few machines from my phono collection.

[img]http[img]http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u192/vitanola/lastscan2.jpg[/img]://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u192/vitanola/lastscan3.jpg[/IMG]ImageImage

These few machines, with comprise about 10% of the collection, are those whose photos were immediately at hand.

Post subject: Columbia Grafanola
PostPosted: Jul Tue 31, 2007 7:30 pm 

My Columbia Grafanola:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Thu 20, 2007 3:28 am 

So far I only have the one :)

It's an RCA R-93-A on a 1936 RCA 86K7 console.

Raven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Thu 20, 2007 4:42 am 

Thought I would share a couple.

This is one of the earliest electric phonographs from 1926. The Electrola Cromwell from Victor Talking Machine Company using a three tube amplifier with a UX216-B, a UX199 and a UX210. The electronics and speaker suppplied by RCA.

This is a CD20 counter record demonstrator from 1928 used to sample records in a record store. Originally it would have been used with a single headphone with a handle to hold it up to your ear. No amplification was used with the pickup driving the headphone direct. It works fine with the standard headphones shown.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Sat 24, 2007 12:13 am 

here are some pics of my edison wich i desplay prodly. My many Thanks to Bill Cahill for getting me interested in cylinders and the Edison Standard D phonograph. I now have over 200 cylinders and a terrific player working on my second edison player as well as trying to find a crane for my horn wich i may never get but i sill keep up the searching for the D standard horn crane
Please enjoy the pics

The Horn Big & Nice
Edison standard Horn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Mon 14, 2008 4:00 pm 

Hi all!

I'm mostly an acoustic phono collector, but have about a dozen or so radiograms, mantle & upright radios. All the electric stuff is Australian. So here's a few of my machines. These are just pix I've previously posted on a couple phono sites. I'll have to take some of my radio collection oneday!

This is one that I was working on this weekend. It's not finished yet, but it's coming along.
It's a 1951 Sherwood radiogram, made in Balmain, NSW, and uses a Garrard RC-65A.

This is a UK machine called a Newington, made in the late 20's or early 30's.

Another Aussie radiogram from the late 30's, made by the Beale Piano Co in Sydney, NSW. Sitting on top is an "Elrado" made by C Elder & Co Pty Ltd in Moonee Ponds, Melbourne.

An Amberola 30

An early 30's Oz radiogram by Rex.

Australian made "Sublime" orthophone from the late 20's.

Australian "Victor" Home model 3.

HMV's bigger version of Victors Credenza, the 202 re-entrant from the late 20's.

HMV model 88 portable.

Australian made Tonaphone.

The Pixie Grippa by Perophone in the UK.

A 1913 Zonophone Compton, made by HMV.

This is an Australian made "Good News" gramophone, produced in Sydney in 1952 or 53, and was used to spread the word to Aboriginal communities :D

A Brunswick Madrid console.

This is A Victor V-IX, which is an export model not available in the US.

There's quite a few more, but I think I've taken up enough space :wink:

Last edited by gramophoneshane on Jan Sat 09, 2010 1:14 am, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Fri 23, 2008 7:43 pm 

We had a good thread going on 45 players so I thought I would post some of them here.

Two early RCA 45 players from 1949, the automatic 9EY3 and the manual version 9EYM3:

Here is a 1950 Zenith Twin Seven, one Cobra tonearm- two turntables. It could play RCA 45 singles or Columbia 7 inch 33 1/3rpm singles:

Here is a two speed VM stereo portable from 1959 for mono or stereo 45s and 16rpm talking books:

Here is the last one, a 1960 Mitchell model 6084 using the VM 1500 2 speed changer. With it is a Talking Book that this changer was designed to play. A single side of a 7 inch record plays for 20 minutes. These are not the discs for the 1956 Chrysler Hi-Way Hi-Fi. They were 16 2/3rpm with a small hole and a groove only .25 mil wide which is one quarter the width of a microgroove record.

Post subject: Magnavox portable 45-rpm phonograph / radio
PostPosted: May Mon 26, 2008 10:07 pm 

This is a 1955 Magnavox Baton model 221A. It has a plywood cabinet with some sort of thick sprayed coating over it. Even the hinges are coated. I have a feeling that this particular player may have been one of the lemons. There were two odd factory defects that would have made it difficult to enjoy. The idler wheel and the speakers.

The player shows very little signs of use. The RCA cartridge was code dated 1955 and the sapphire stylus shows no signs of use. It had the original drop of locktite on the stylus nut. The idler wheel had a factory defect where the rubber was not squarely molded onto the brass bearing assembly causing it to wobble when turning. The player had an annoying amount of flutter.

It has a six tube chassis with a selenium rectifier and push-pull 35C5 output tubes. The output transformer has a feedback winding used to lower distortion. All of the tubes are original. The dual 5.25 inch speakers are hard wired together. It appeared that they were connected out of phase at the factory. The speakers were working against each other and sounded severely hollow.

Magnavox also made the radio only version with a phono input. It uses the same CR-711 chassis. The cabinet is a bit wider so it can use twin 6.5 inch speakers.

Post subject: Zenith Kiddy Phono
PostPosted: Sep Sun 14, 2008 10:01 pm 

I found this a few years back.
It has a one tube amp.

I cleaned and rebuilt this thing back when I got it but the cartridge was dead so I never finished it.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 136 posts ]  Moderator: Larry Hillis Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next