Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Thu 24, 2014 3:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Pooley Radio
PostPosted: Oct Fri 27, 2006 7:14 pm 
This morning I visited a friend who has a couple of radios he'd just pick up for resale. One of them is a late 20's console set marked "Pooley."

No - - - this is not a set in a "Pooley" cabinet, it's apparently a "Pooley" brand radio. The escutcheon is typical late 20's, antiqued brass, and is embossed "Pooley."

The console is about the the size and similar in proportions to a Philco "90" console, with legs that are perhaps 40% of it's height. The grill work is repwood.

The chassis is either a seven or eight tube screen-grid affair, built by Gilfillan. The tubes are 24"s, a 27 detector, P-P 45's for the output, and of course the rectifier is an 80. The tubes are in a single line across the rear of the chassis; tuning is drum style.

It was dark where the radio is currently stored and I didn't have a camera with me. I hope to be able to go back this weekend and shoot some pics of the set, particularly of the Escutcheon and chassis.

It's a new one in my experience --- and I was wondering if anyone has one of these or has seen one.

The more I think about it, the more inclined I am to buy it when I go back to look again.

Dale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Fri 27, 2006 7:44 pm 

i have an a.k.55 in a pooley cabinet.its a high-boy,philco fan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Fri 27, 2006 8:03 pm 

As do I. I thought Pooley was a furniture only company???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Tue 31, 2006 7:12 am 
Yes Virginia - - - - There IS A Pooley brand radio.

This morning I had a chance to take some pictures of an honest-to-goodness Pooley radio. :Likely produced about 1929, in some ways it's not all that different from a great many console sets produced in the late 20's-early 30's: but the fact that it was sold with the "Pooley" name on it sets it apart from the usual:

The Pooley radio sports a "Repwood" grill area, not unlike some Stromberg Carlsons, General Electrics, and other sets of the same time period:

The chassis of the Pooley Radio receiver:

Built by Gilfillan Bros. of California, The Screen Grid chassis sports P-P type "45" output tubes and unusual tube shields that I've not seen before:

The audio from the P-P outputs is coupled to the outside world by a large Magnavox "pedestal" style speaker:

Radios with Pooley brand cabinets show up every once in a while - - - - usually with chassis by Atwater Kent or other contemporary radio manufacturer. That Pooley sold radios with their name on them is new information to me, perhaps to others as well.

It seems strange that a Midwestern furniture manufacturer chose to use chassis and speakers from Gilfillan Bros. and Magnavox; both locted on the west coast.

If anyone has further information on this series of sets I would be most interested. Any documentation, advertising, etc. concerning Pooley "brand" radios would be very much appreciated.

Dale
hertzsogood>@<aol.com
(remember, ya gotta get the red out)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Tue 31, 2006 10:32 pm 

VERIEEEEEE INTERESTING.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Tue 31, 2006 10:41 pm 

Please. tell us you bought it, Dale!!!!!
:D
Jerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Tue 31, 2006 11:29 pm 

It can't be the same Pooley. A department or furniture store, maybe, or a music dealer, in California or the West generally?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Wed 01, 2006 1:25 am 

Now that's a really cool find. I've passed up a few Pooley's in my time (cabinets, that is) but I've NEVER seen a Pooley radio.

I think that's one for the history books. Please take notes, students, there'll be a pop quiz on this in the future!

"Investing in the future by preserving the past"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Wed 01, 2006 6:30 am 
Alan:

I sort of had the same thought(s) that this might be by some totally different "Pooley," but a couple of things make me wonder if the set just found may in some way be a product of THE Pooley furniture manufacturing firm.

Comparing the pictures of m82a1pa's Atwater Kent in a Pooley cabinet with the picture of the"Pooley Brand" radio, the cabinets are much the same. If you replace the standard Pooley Cabinet grillwork with the repwood grillwork, the two cabinets are very much alike, save for minor details.

The small cardboard "Pooley" advertising tag on m82a1pa's Atwater Kent and the name on the Pooley Brand radio's escutcheon use nearly identical styles of lettering to spell P O O L E Y.

I seem to remember too that an article some years ago discussed IF or NOT the Pooley firm had sold radios under their own name. I could be misremembering, but I think the article was in Antique Radio Classified.

I'm still hoping someone will spot this thread and perhaps be able to furnish some difinative information about the Pooley brand set(s).

Dale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Wed 01, 2006 6:37 am 
JeepsOLot wrote:

Quote:
Please. tell us you bought it, Dale!!!!!

Well Jerry, I sort of bought it. Actually the critter came along when I was (as usual) too broke to pay attention - - - so I did what any good collector would do - - - - I traded for it. Anyhow, the Pooley brand set is now mine to restore and try to figure out it's heritage and pedigree......

It must be some sort of character flaw that I'm drawn more to sets from obscure and seldom heard-of manufacturers..............

Dale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Wed 01, 2006 1:22 pm 

The Radio Age series ran in early 1992. The May issue doesn't really say what happened to Pooley, but, what looks like a 1929 or 30 catalog is reprinted, with all the sets marked "Pooley Radio in Pooley Furniture." That certainly sounds like their own sets. One of them is very close to yours, in style if not precise details, and it does have the repwood front. It's a model 20, $108.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Thu 02, 2006 4:25 pm 
Alan Douglas wrote:
Quote:
The Radio Age series ran in early 1992. The May issue doesn't really say what happened to Pooley, but, what looks like a 1929 or 30 catalog is reprinted, with all the sets marked "Pooley Radio in Pooley Furniture." That certainly sounds like their own sets. One of them is very close to yours, in style if not precise details, and it does have the repwood front. It's a model 20, $108.

Does anyone have the issue Alan refers to? My few issues of "Radio Age" do not include this one. I'll happily pay for copies by either e-Mail or snail mail.

Dale
hertzsogood>@<aol.com
(remember, ya gotta get the red out)