Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Sun 21, 2014 9:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Stromberg Carlson 18-tube hi-fi: did I mess up?
PostPosted: Feb Sat 10, 2007 10:42 pm 

Today at a junk shop I found a side-by-side radio/phono combo made by Stromberg Carlson (didn't see a model #). It looked to be from the early 1960s (not really to my tastes) and had 18 tubes. It had quad EL84 outputs. Only thing going against it was the speakers looked a little wimpy for the chassis in the unit.

Asking price was $45. I passed on it, but I'm starting to kind of wish I got it now. What do you all think? I can probably get it later in the week, but it's about 50 miles away.

PM me for my email address

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Sat 10, 2007 11:01 pm 

Only if it's something you like and plan on keeping to use. Otherwise you need a fail-safe plan for what you will do with it once you have it.

Hi-fi and stereo consoles of that vintage frequently don't have much interest even among collectors. However that is a lot of tubes, and that company usually made high quality products. I wouldn't go on the appearance of the speakers alone without listening to the unit to hear how good it sounds.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Sun 11, 2007 12:25 am 

I usually don't look twice at postwar consoles (especially the '60s and later stuff), but something made me pull the back off of it. In the place it's at, I'm sure it's not going anywhere anytime soon, so I'll think on it a while. I've always wanted a tubed hi-fi set, but it's going to take some rearranging, which I already had to do when I found my 22-tube Zenith console last year.

PM me for my email address

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Sun 11, 2007 12:37 am 

Well, since you have always wanted one, it's not likely that another high tube count set will turn up nearby for a lower price. There's at least a 50-50 chance it will work if you try it out, probably the shop owner or the previous owners did so around the time it came in there anyway.

So I think you have to base your decision on whether you will be happy with the cabinet style, and if you are able to try it out, how it sounds.

You may also want to consider separate components and speakers, which usually take up far less room than a console, but will likely be far more expensive to get decent quality tube audio.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Sun 11, 2007 2:22 am 

You'll probably find the Sams folder on my Stromberg page - there are a few brochures from the early '60s too. Amp chassis is probably ASR-333 or -433.

http://www.audiophool.cjb.net/MadeInRoch.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Sun 11, 2007 6:26 pm 

I bought this S/C last year at a yard sale for $20 from the daughter of the original owners. And guess what ?

It worked GREAT when plugged in. the Woofer bass is awsome but its starting to drift on the FM band.

It is one of those wierd ones where to get stereo, you can turn on both the AM and FM at the same time and make a sort of stereo sound with each band dedicated to one side of the split speakers. I took the back off and there is a TON of little tubes but never found a model number.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Sun 11, 2007 9:31 pm 

It's a model SP-9xx from '60 - '62, I think. Model SP-963 looks similar but uses the 60 watt amp with large 7027 output tubes (that amp is ASR-444.) If this has all miniature tubes in the amp it's chassis ASR-333 or -433. The AM/FM tuner is SR445 or -445A. Stromberg made a multiplex adapter, but I haven't seen one yet.