Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Thu 27, 2014 9:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Help ID Sparton radio
PostPosted: Jan Tue 29, 2008 12:21 am 

Hello and thanks for taking the time to help me. I recently purchased a Sparks-W. radio from a second hand shop and am having trouble figureing out the model #.
It's a cabnet radio with a phonograph (plays 10 & 21's). It has 4 turn knobs and recieves Am,Fm, and Police frequencys; One center speaker and record storage compartments on the sides. The phonograph is in a pull out drawer on the left top side.
The only numbers I can locate on the radio are:
30 is stamped on the back of the wood cabnet and on the electronic control box is a stamped number 299721.
It currently only plays Am radio.I think the selector switch is malfunctioning. If I can find out the model, then maybe I could order parts for it?
I'm trying to upload pictures, but it's not working. I'll try again...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Tue 29, 2008 12:59 am 

I have pictures on my computer, but I have no place to store them for public access on the web. Any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Tue 29, 2008 1:08 am 

http://photobucket.com/

seems to be the choice of many people here
Works for me

***From the Land of Evangeline" -bienvenue-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Tue 29, 2008 1:27 am 

SlugMan wrote:
I have pictures on my computer, but I have no place to store them for public access on the web. Any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Tue 29, 2008 2:22 am 

ok, here are some photos (several posts down)

Last edited by SlugMan on Jan Tue 29, 2008 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Tue 29, 2008 2:46 am 

When using photobucket the above procedure is not needed. Below each image in your photobucket album is a choice of "links" to use for posting the image. Just click on the one that has [img] at the beginning and it is automatically copied to your clipboard. Then, in your post to this forum, just past the link into your document. (use ctrl-V or right-click and choose paste). This will give you in-line images in your post. A word of caution. If your images are large you should not put them inline. Instead choose the "direct link" format from photobucket. Putting large images inline in your posts will irritate the readers because everyone will have to scroll to the right to read them. On photobucket, you can change the upload options to scale your images to something more suitable, or, if the image is already uploaded, you can reformat the image using the "EDIT" link above the image.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Tue 29, 2008 3:06 am 

Last edited by SlugMan on Jan Tue 29, 2008 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Tue 29, 2008 3:09 am 

TEST

Last edited by SlugMan on Jan Tue 29, 2008 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Tue 29, 2008 3:11 am 

This is all new to me. Thanks for the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Tue 29, 2008 11:54 pm 

test

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Wed 30, 2008 4:07 pm 

Slugger, I have a very similar model that is taking up space in my garage, chassis number is 299618. I got a call one day from an antique dealer who had this one and an RCA of similar vintage. He had them in his booth for a couple of years and couldn't move them so he said if I wanted them to take them. This style of console radio/record player is not very collectable at this time and they are commonly found at garage sales and auctions for a few bucks or to just haul it away. It was the transition between the tall pre-war console and the long low coffin style of the late 50's and early 60's.

Almost the entire label is missing where it was glued to the back of the chassis and there are no numbers on the remaining piece. Mine does have what I think is a date on what remains of the label, 7-46 which leads me to believe it was one of the post war radios from 1946.

I too would like to find out the model also to get a schematic for it, so if anyone has one in their pile I would like to get a photo of the label so I could reproduce it. It’s a seven tube chassis.
Here are a couple of pics for id. http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/27 ... 1668yWylSX
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Wed 30, 2008 11:41 pm 

This is my first tube radio, and I only paid a grand total of $10 dollars for it. Not to bad of a price for the enjoyment it brings me. I work second shift, so I get home after midnight, the first thing I do is turn it on and listen to some distant station. Then crack open a beer and listen some more. I love it!
I'm considering purchasing another one if it's worth what the seller is asking. It's a Philco 41-285 and they want $100 for it. I have not seen it, but it is listed as "Good Condition". I don't know how much it should sell for, so I'm not sure if they are asking to much, or to little? Is this a collectable model?

SlugMan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Fri 01, 2008 4:13 am 

Yep now your getting into the more desirable set. That Philco will be a nice set and the price sounds reasonable, unless it’s a real rag. The Spartan is a good set to cut your teeth on with out investing a lot of money. And although I have somewhere around 300 sets I think its still a nice example of the post war transition radios.
Don’t look like we’re gonna find a model or label for these. If I get time and the weather warms up a bit I’ll start scanning through some of the early Sams and see if I can spot one like it. I’ve been trying for a couple of years to find a label for a little Spartan table model that I restored. All I need is a picture of the label but again, seems to be a real rare set or else no body wants to take the time to take a picture of the one that they have.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL