Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Wed 23, 2014 11:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: RCA WR-99A Marker Generator & a WR-70A Marker Adder
PostPosted: Mar Mon 09, 2009 4:34 pm 

Any information would be welcomed.
RCA WR-99A Marker Generator
WR-70A Marker Adder
WR-69A Sweep Generator
Basically I'm a novice that tries to keep Old stuff working, most all of my stuff is from the 50's to the mid 70's I need help on hooking up these to one another to test and calibrate the horzontal sweep of a couple Tektronixs 465 oscilloscopes I have repaired. Use a Tek 11 mhz funtion generator to set most of the vertical and some horizontal but would like to do a nice alignment. The three pieces of the RCA seem to work but I don't understand the hooking up.
Maybe These are not capable of what I need. They were cheap and by the names they sounded like they would work.
Please advise! need all the help I can get.
Thank You in advance
dwdw

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Mon 09, 2009 10:07 pm 

The WR70A manual is on the BAMA site. Some of the other manuals they have may be close enough for the other models.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Tue 10, 2009 4:37 pm 

Thank You Johnnysan for the reply. I'll try there for the manual but didn't have any luck finding it before, I must have overlooked it.
Thank You
dwdw

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Thu 09, 2009 7:22 am 

just read your post but pretty sure those are to align the tuner/if's and color in a tv-- 1 personly never had to learn to use one--heymaybe 35z5 may can tell you more about them good luck jimbo9

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Thu 09, 2009 12:27 pm 

The WR70A manual shows how it is connected to other pieces of the old "system".

Unfortunately, the RCA gear you have is NOT up to the task of calibrating your scopes. To calibrate the vertical frequency response, you need a calibratable LEVELED output RF sweep generator, and to calibrate the horizontal you really need a crystal oscillator based pulse generator.

If you have a frequency counter you can use it's time base oscillator/divider to check / adjust a few ranges of the scope's sweep oscillator.

To check the vertical amps are at least close at low frequencies (up to 100 KC or so depending on the oscillator), and therefore, probably to several mega cycles, use a decent sine wave oscillator, and measure it's output with a good VTVM or digital meter. Remember that the RMS readings on the meter must be mulitplied by 2.8, to determine the peak to peak signals you'll see on the scope screen, so a 1 volt RMS meter reading will be shown as 2.8 volts Peak to peak on the scope.

Hope this helps

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Thu 09, 2009 2:57 pm 

Thank You for the replies I parted out the
RCA WR-99A Marker Generator
and the RCA W R-70A Marker Adder for the 3 pieces it was only $25 no real loss
The WR-69A Sweep Generator Works well I checked it with the frequency counter and its dead on ( its crystal controlled time base)
Compared it to my other Tec and its on up to 160Mhz the end for the Tec
I think as long as I can compare the output with my known good scope I'm OK.
So far I haven't needed the markers but a work around will have to do.
Thanks
dwdw

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Fri 10, 2009 2:13 pm 

Thank you for the reply Mikeincmo
You said I needed (you need a calibratable LEVELED output RF sweep generator) the leveled part does that mean just equal on the + side and the - side of the sign wave?
a 1 volt RMS meter reading will be shown as 2.8 volts Peak to peak on the scope I will use this advise, never thought of using a digital voltmeter for this.
Thank you
dwdw