Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Tue 16, 2014 1:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: GE model 212 FM re-cap. & discrepancies
PostPosted: Apr Thu 10, 2008 4:18 am 

Hi All
I've never had sucess with restoring FM tube radios but I did a re-cap of this GE model 212. Rider's volume 18. circa 1948. I just replaced all of the 19 paper/wax caps and a few off value resistors. I know to keeps leads short. Is it important to use the same original designated ground connection points for the components? With smaller caps it was often easier to use the nearest ground point available. Hope this does not effect the FM performance. I don't know how to do FM alignment. Rider's & Sam's both have the cap on the wiper (center lug) of the volume control as a .005 (Rider's C31)...in mine, the original is .022. Looks to be from the factory that way. Is this a 60 year old mistake? Would one replace with a .005 or what is in there, a .022?? Also there is a tuning coil mounted on a bracket on the tuning cap, which there is no mention of in the schematics. Anyone's 2 cents?
After I replace that tone cap it should be ready for the variac. Any suggestions on restoring FM tube radios would be appreciated. Here is the link for my photos of the chassis.
http://majestic2a50-f.blogspot.com/
Danny in Cleveland

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Thu 10, 2008 4:58 am 

Location: Halfway between Possum Trot and Monkey's Eyebrow KY
most likely it was a design change on a later production set.
you could prob use either one. just stick a .02 in there an you should be good/