Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Fri 20, 2017 8:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: AK paint
PostPosted: May Thu 15, 2008 8:47 pm 

What is the closest paint match in a commercially available spray can to the front panel of an Atwater Kent 20? Rustoleum, Krylon etc. I have looked at several pictures and see all shades of brown Any advice would be most welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Mon 19, 2008 4:26 am 

I have 3 AK 20 big boxes, and looking at all three the panels are different shades of color. Perhaps Leigh or Norm will have an idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Mon 19, 2008 2:16 pm 

The only thing I could find close in tint and "off the shelf" was Rust-oleum Speciality Camo 'Earth Brown'. Unfortunately, this is an ultra-flat camo paint and will require an overcoat with semigloss laquer to have any degree of 'shine'. It has worked satisfactorily for me.

If you have a sprayer, you might get an automotive shop to blend you a near exact match.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Mon 19, 2008 6:34 pm 

I like the camo paint and putting on a glossier coat over it shouldn't be too hard. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Mon 19, 2008 7:13 pm 

jgj6331 wrote:
The only thing I could find close in tint and "off the shelf" was Rust-oleum Speciality Camo 'Earth Brown'. Unfortunately, this is an ultra-flat camo paint and will require an overcoat with semigloss laquer to have any degree of 'shine'. It has worked satisfactorily for me.

If you have a sprayer, you might get an automotive shop to blend you a near exact match.

Don't bother with a clossy coating. Just wax the surface with Black KIWI shioe polish, applied with 0000 steel wool.

After the shoe wax is allowed to dry, buff the panel to a soft gloss with a flannel. It is a dead-on re-creation of the old AK finish!

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Mon 19, 2008 11:05 pm 

Vitanola,

The only concern I have with using waxes in this method is that it may interfere with later touch-up of the base coat unless the wax has been well removed beforehand. A semigloss laquer can sustain touch-ups without any such problems...