Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Sun 21, 2019 11:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Zenith Model 835 Tombstone 1935 HELP!!!
PostPosted: Jul Fri 12, 2019 2:07 am 

I just joined and this is my first post so please bear with me. I know next to nothing about these radios& stuff. Anyways, I’ve set up our old family radio that is a zenith model 835. It is a beautiful piece of history but I don’t know how to work it. So I’m trying to tune into the Texas Rangers baseball station to get the games. (I think it might be 105.3 FM or something) I’ve picked up to stations sort of that are in the Fort Worth area because that’s where I’m located. (I set up the radio in my new room that’s vintage baseball Art Deco themed so I want this thing to work!) I REALLY need some help on how to read the dial and how to tune the thing correctly! If anyone could please help I’d be so so grateful!! Thank you so much! (I wish I could share images of it but I don’t know how lol)

Post subject: Re: Zenith Model 835 Tombstone 1935 HELP!!!
PostPosted: Jul Fri 12, 2019 7:07 am 

That is a rare and desirable Zenith. And no, it will not receive FM broadcasts.

Please do not destroy it by plugging it in before it has a professional electronic restoration. You can do a lot of damage. There are guys here who are capable of doing the restoration necessary.

PostPosted: Jul Fri 12, 2019 12:18 pm 

Indeed!!---do not turn it on again until it is serviced. If someone in your area does not chime in, start with a local radio club or museum---they will know the people that do this kind of work.

PostPosted: Jul Fri 12, 2019 12:30 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
JaceBoss wrote:
I just joined and this is my first post so please bear with me. I know next to nothing about these radios& stuff. Anyways, I’ve set up our old family radio that is a zenith model 835. It is a beautiful piece of history but I don’t know how to work it. So I’m trying to tune into the Texas Rangers baseball station to get the games. (I think it might be 105.3 FM or something) I’ve picked up to stations sort of that are in the Fort Worth area because that’s where I’m located. (I set up the radio in my new room that’s vintage baseball Art Deco themed so I want this thing to work!) I REALLY need some help on how to read the dial and how to tune the thing correctly! If anyone could please help I’d be so so grateful!! Thank you so much! (I wish I could share images of it but I don’t know how lol)

I agree with those who advise that you have your set checked out before using regularly. There are parts in it that can fail at it's age and cause further expensive damage. (This is assuming that it has not been being used regularly up until now).

Your set receives "AM" stations only. That means it will receive stations that fall between the 500kc and 1500kc (roughly) numbers on your radio dial.

The FM stations in your area cannot be received on your set. They come in (roughly) between 88mc and 108mc ... numbers that you won't have on your dials.

kc = 1,000 cycles per second and mc = 1,000,000 cycles per second. This is a way of measuring frequency. Cycles are known today as Hertz ... aka : khz and mhz.

Here's a list of stations in the Dallas area. The AM stations are down on the list a bit : https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/locat ... s&state=TX

cheers

PostPosted: Jul Fri 12, 2019 12:51 pm 

Here is information about stations that broadcast Texas Rangers baseball.

https://www.mlb.com/rangers/schedule/radio-affiliates

Interestingly, there are no AM stations in Dallas/Fort Worth that carry the full schedule. Scroll down to see the entire list of affiliated stations. Maybe your Zenith will receive one of the network's many out-of-town AM stations once it is properly restored and connected to an outside antenna.

Dave

PostPosted: Jul Fri 12, 2019 2:14 pm 

There is a vintage radio and phono group in Irving. See their website at http://www.vrps.org/. There are two contacts listed for repair referrals.

Attachments:
Referrals.jpg
Referrals.jpg [ 23.81 KiB | Viewed 516 times ]

PostPosted: Jul Fri 12, 2019 4:41 pm 

JaceBoss wrote:
(I wish I could share images of it but I don’t know how lol)

Then post it on Facebook or Instagram.

https://www.google.com/search?q=JaceBos ... 1046&dpr=1

PostPosted: Jul Fri 12, 2019 4:45 pm 

You have one of top most desirable art-deco radios in the hobby. There's many in that category, but in relation to the millions of sets made, it's in an elite core! Those sell for thousands of dollars even needing restoration. If yours is a clean, complete, original and in nice condition, you would have a bidding war on it if you put it up for auction. My opinion would be to never part with because they are hard to come by.
Take care of it and get it professionally gone over electrically. It will be worth every penny to do that. Lucky you!

PostPosted: Jul Fri 12, 2019 5:35 pm 

You can post photos as attachments straight out of the chute. No need to wait 24Hrs.
Posting photos to a forum thread...
The skinny: http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtop ... 0#p2717120

Greg.

PostPosted: Jul Fri 12, 2019 6:38 pm 

Wow thank you for all the help & info! I did forget to mention that my mother had it restored a few years ago.

PostPosted: Jul Fri 12, 2019 7:11 pm 

You can receive FM on it either through a small AM transmitter connected to an FM receiver or with a connection of an FM receiver to the audio or "Phono" input if your Zenith 835 is equipped with one.
many dont, but some do.

An input could be added but it would require doing some slight modification to the internal wiring.

Very nice radio! :D

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Jul Sat 13, 2019 3:25 am 

It sounds like it's probably OK to use, but it still probably wouldn't hurt to pull the chassis and have a look-see yourself, so that you know for sure what has been done to it. If you post pictures here of the top and bottom of the chassis, we can help you determine if everything is copacetic for using it.

As far as how to use it, and reading the dial: If you're familiar with a typical AM-FM radio, they have 2 bands: AM broadcast band goes from ~540-1600 kHz, and FM broadcast band goes from 88-108 MHz.

Your radio has 5 bands. One is the AM broadcast band (outer bottom, numbered 55-150), and the other 4 are shortwave bands covering 1.5-4.0 MHz, 4-10.5 MHz, 9-22 MHz, and 18-44 MHz. None of the bands go up as high as 88MHz where the FM band starts. The knob on the right is a 5-position switch that selects the band. If you're picking up AM stations, then you've got that one set to AM. Top center knob is tuning, left is volume, and bottom center is tone, I imagine.

On the back of the radio over on the left are two screw terminals, likely marked A and G. Antenna and Ground. There is no built-in antenna, as is common with radios built after about 1940. Your radio wants a separate antenna connected. A 10-foot piece of stranded, single-conductor wire connected to the A terminal is a start, maybe tacked up along the edge of the wall/ceiling.

If you don't get the reception you're looking for, some things that may help are: a longer antenna, a good ground connection, an antenna that's higher in the air, a good alignment of the radio, or possibly some repairs. I'd probably try them in that order (although the last two would likely go together, once you take it to a radio repair person).

Let us know how that goes. Post some pics. Ask more questions. We'll get it all figured out with you.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 15, 2019 3:52 pm 

Corrrection: There's a Picture of Another 835 chassis showing an RCA socket on the back of the chassis near the lower right side.
But Steve has posted below a picture of the correct double socket for a phono jack.

The simple way to stream FM to this jack is to use a portable FM radio with earphone jack. Cut the earbuds off the cord and carefully strip the inner and outer wires. Combine the L and R channels using two 1 K resistors. This converts stereo to mono, (altho just one channel will work for FM mono radio).

A small audio transformer is desirable to improve the signal going into the Zenith phono jack. A 1:10 step-up improves the signal strength. Your digital device should be at half volume for best quality.

I use a Panasonic Discman that has a radio built in. A cellphone will work as well. Set the bandswitch to phono and enjoy the game. 8)

Attachments:
Aux Input.jpg
Aux Input.jpg [ 99.11 KiB | Viewed 249 times ]

Last edited by westcoastjohn on Jul Tue 16, 2019 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jul Tue 16, 2019 7:49 pm 

Any 835 radios with an RCA connector has been modified for such.

From the factory, Zenith installed "Pin Jack" type connectors.
Basically one pin is ground, the other is signal.

Many did not have anything installed, but have the knockouts on the back.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Jul Tue 16, 2019 8:45 pm 

Thanks, Steve, I changed my comment to be correct, that an RCA jack would have been an add-on. 8)

Instead of punching out a knockout, a phono socket on a cord can be threaded thru a hole in the chassis.
I look for stereo system speaker adapters and cut off the female sockets.
Cheers, and enjoy the Zenith. A pretty special family connection.

Attachments:
sockets.jpg
sockets.jpg [ 68.21 KiB | Viewed 135 times ]