Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Tue 22, 2020 11:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Any Value in These Radios??
PostPosted: Feb Fri 14, 2020 5:40 am 

Have a 1937/38 GE F-53 radio in decent condition, dial face is cracked and partly missing, not tested, picture 1. 2nd radio is a 1941 Farnsworth CT54 radio, not tested, picture 2. If I remember right these were in an old house we remodeled and hidden in the attic.

Attachments:
MVC-012F.JPG
MVC-012F.JPG [ 172.22 KiB | Viewed 827 times ]
MVC-013F.JPG
MVC-013F.JPG [ 167.07 KiB | Viewed 827 times ]

Post subject: Re: Any Value in These Radios??
PostPosted: Feb Fri 14, 2020 9:12 am 

The first one--if it had a repro dial in it--could sell for $50 to 100 on eBay, assuming all the sides we can't see are in similar condition to what is seen, and the electronics are complete. As it is--with the broken dial--I'd say it's worth no more than $20.

The second one is a $5-10 radio, not very collectible IMO.

At my club, they would sell for $1/each. At a swap meet, you might get $5/each. So what they bring depends on where you sell them.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 14, 2020 12:51 pm 

Those are the kind of radio that, if restored and working properly, you'd get more money from the general public then you would from collectors.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 14, 2020 2:17 pm 

Attic storage can be problematic. Usually they are hot and or cold alot. But then that is better than a barn or alot of basements. Not as good as a dry closet. You probably will find that you will restore them mostly for your own satisfaction. If you can get them cosmetically decent you could keep one and sell the other, or any combo of that. These days I spread out my radio projects, do not buy with a mind to flip them and only part with them if I get bored with them or run out of room. Usually you will have at least one radio you listen to alot or is very choice, and you have no plans to part with it. But you do not take an oath to that, hopefully, and wants can change in time. I guess you can tell I am not in the radio "businenss" and not a rich collector.