Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Sun 31, 2020 11:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Soupy Sales radio
PostPosted: Apr Fri 10, 2020 6:42 pm 

Was watching Soupy again this morning and I was wondering what exact model Soupy’s radio is. I know the prop guy painted it and it appears to have wallpaper around the border,but I am pretty sure it’s a Philco 89b but it has a 3rd knob in the center that the 89b doesn’t have. I guess they could have just glued an extra knob onto it. Soupy would always go to the radio to check the weather and wind up tuning in wacky radio programs and hit 60’s music. Then he’d go over to the window and ol Pook would show up and perform a song.
Soupy “Hey Pook,I hear you got a little number for us”
Pookie “Yeah,but she couldn’t make it”.

I sure wish more of Soupy’s shows survived. He was a lot of fun. In his book he discusses how Nancy Sinatra came up to him on the street one day and told him that her dad was a huge fan. That meeting wound up with Soupy having two albums on Franks label (reprise),before later moving to the ABC Paramount label.

Attachments:
86E24F4E-B16F-4117-BA3E-CEF323D0EC1E.png
86E24F4E-B16F-4117-BA3E-CEF323D0EC1E.png [ 184.87 KiB | Viewed 686 times ]

Post subject: Re: Soupy Sales radio
PostPosted: Apr Fri 10, 2020 7:29 pm 

Philco 19B?

Norman

PostPosted: Apr Fri 10, 2020 7:41 pm 

Compared to the size of his head, the radio must be one of the larger Philco cathedral models.

Used to watch his show every day when I came home from school for lunch. Also got in the WXYZ TV studio in the Macabees building in Detroit, with a group of other kids, to see how the show was done.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Apr Fri 10, 2020 7:46 pm 

Braithwaite wrote:
Philco 19B?

Norman

Thanks Norman. I just googled that model and that appears to be the one,it has three knobs on the bottom. It says it’s from 1933. It would have been around 33 years old when it was used in that show!

PostPosted: Apr Fri 10, 2020 7:52 pm 

Mr. Detrola wrote:
Compared to the size of his head, the radio must be one of the larger Philco cathedral models.

Used to watch his show every day when I came home from school for lunch. Also got in the WXYZ TV studio in the Macabees building in Detroit, with a group of other kids, to see how the show was done.

Wow! Can you share more about going to the studio to see how “Lunch With Soupy Sales” was made? Did you meet Soupy? Back in the early days of his show he was sponsored by united Dairies. (I have the signed Soupy birdbath membership card and pin). Back then he was using a Bill Baird Charlemagne puppet for Pookie until he was told to stop. He then had an artist create Pookie and Hippie for him. Clyde Adler was doing black tooth,white fang,Pookie and Hippie,as well as the “nut at the door”,but I have also read that Frank Nastasi would fill in and he is credited with giving Pookie his voice. Clyde Adler would work with Soupy again in the late 70’s for his “new” Soupy Sales show.

Did you ever see the character “Willie the worm”? He didn’t make the transistion to Soupy’s LA,and New York shows. What was that character like? I’ve never seen any films that had Willie,I’ve read though,that he lived in a little travel trailer on Soupy’s desk.

He also had a show called “Soupy’s Soda shop” It was kind of like Dick Clark’s show where teens would dance to hit songs and they would have the artists on.and a show called “Club Nothing” in his Cincinnati days. It was a late night show that would have comedy sketches and jazz musicians.
Attachment:
24E6E028-1396-463E-B450-316407D9E202.jpeg
24E6E028-1396-463E-B450-316407D9E202.jpeg [ 281.58 KiB | Viewed 635 times ]

Attachments:
E6FA9599-49E6-47A9-8B1D-39AA6A6C1366.jpeg
E6FA9599-49E6-47A9-8B1D-39AA6A6C1366.jpeg [ 238.12 KiB | Viewed 637 times ]

PostPosted: Apr Fri 10, 2020 10:29 pm 

He also did a late night chat show for grownups on WXYZ-TV called “Soupy’s On” that featured numerous stars from the world of jazz.

PostPosted: Apr Sat 11, 2020 1:36 am 

Howard Kaylan has a great interview on when he and Soupy (kaylan's idol) got high in 1966...

PostPosted: Apr Sat 11, 2020 3:45 am 

ekimetsok wrote:
He also did a late night chat show for grownups on WXYZ-TV called “Soupy’s On” that featured numerous stars from the world of jazz.

Yep,too bad nobody has an films of it. Soupy had an encyclopedic knowledge of jazz and big band music. He would remember what labels and even the catalog numbers of the records the musicians put out. He was supposed to have been a very kind hearted,down to earth person too. It’s truly a shame most of his shows were erased.

PostPosted: Apr Sat 11, 2020 3:57 am 

battery-maker wrote:
Howard Kaylan has a great interview on when he and Soupy (kaylan's idol) got high in 1966...

I saw the video on YouTube where he discussed that. Lol. Soupy did feature some music by “the turtles” on his show.
Some of the jokes and were pretty adult,they would fly over the heads of children.
His show sure was a lot of fun. Just goes to show you that it doesn’t take a big budget to be entertaining,just a creative person and talented crew.

PostPosted: Apr Sat 11, 2020 9:55 pm 

That cabinet design with 4 knobs was used in many Philco models... 14b, 16b, 17b, 18b, 19b, 38b, etc.