Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Tue 26, 2020 11:52 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: How many of you listen to your radios on a regular basis?
PostPosted: May Fri 22, 2020 11:59 pm 

I started collecting radios, as a 12 year old, in 1989 and I actually used the radios that I obtained. At that point, there was very little talk/sports/sludge on AM and there was country, standards, older pop, oldies, etc. One local 10,000 watt AM station actually had real DJ's and I loved listening to them. The only talk they had was locally produced and in the morning. Then, they added Rush Limbaugh, and then gradually phased out the music. Just before they went all talk, you were doing good to hear an hour of music in the afternoon. In about '94 or '95, they went all talk and have not looked back. Then, there was one more station that played a mix of country, pop, oldies, and gospel. When the original owner died, his Son took it over and, before long, fired all the staff and turned it into an automated black gospel station.

I still enjoy working on old radios and hearing them play again; but, I'll get one fixed up and it will receive the same four boring AM stations that the last few dozen that I fixed will receive. These formats include black gospel, southern gospel/preaching, news/talk, and sports. I can't stand political talk; but, I'd listen to that before I'd listen to sports and let's just say that today's black gospel is not Mahalia Jackson or Sister Rosetta Tharpe.

Today, I find myself fixing up radios, listening to them (mainly night DX) for a little while, and then they go up on the shelf. Then, in 5 years, I'll decide to pull one down and turn it on....only to find out that it needs help (dirty pots, dirty tube sockets, etc.).

If I have a hot enough radio and if the atmosphere is right, there are a couple of noisy classic country stations and one noisy oldies station that comes in; but, local AM has pretty much gone to heck in a hand basket and I don't even see how they stay on the air. On the FM band, there are between 30-35 stations that I can receive (depending on how good the radio is); but, even that is either crap formats that I can't stand or it's automated playing of the same common songs in constant rotation.

Yes, I could use a transmitter to broadcast my own material; but, that is not the same as actually being able to tune in to a quality commercial radio station.

Sadly, I don't see commercial radio getting any better.

Post subject: Re: How many of you listen to your radios on a regular basis
PostPosted: May Sat 23, 2020 12:24 am 

I'm lucky enough to have a local AM public radio station, WILL AM 580. So I listen to it very frequently on AM (even though I can stream it on my mobile device). This station runs NPR and PRI programming during the day and BBC world news at night. They also produce some of their own programs covering local and Illinois-related subjects. Yes its mostly talk radio and news, but with a wide variety of different shows and different people.

But you are correct in stating that some places in the USA have almost nothing in the way of interesting local AM stations to listen to.

-EB

PostPosted: May Sat 23, 2020 12:24 am 

On August 1, 1981, MTV was born, starting its very first ever broadcast with the appropriate 1979 hit "Video Killed the Radio Star."

The AM BCB is still good here... 8)
Lots of music, sport, drama and talk, wall-to-wall - and, no Reverend $ lol
AM radio plays here 18Hrs a day.
Greg.

PostPosted: May Sat 23, 2020 12:40 am 

Yes, regular basis...3 radios.
In the workshop I listen daily to AM KWY 1060 on my BC-312 for the past few years. Before that the daily driver was a nondescript GE from the 40s.
In the kitchen for pre-workday coffee and breakfast I have a Telefunken for NPR, and a gold Motorola transistorized "suitcase" that I use for AM.

Occasionally I turn on the Radiola 60 in the bedroom.

PostPosted: May Sat 23, 2020 1:27 am 

I listen to mine almost daily because here in Boston we are fortunate to have WJIB, “The Memories Station.” It is a non-commercial low power station (250 watts day and 5 watts night) operated as a labor of love by a long-time radio man. Supported by listener donations it plays non-stop music from the 1930s to 1960s. See WJIB on Wikipedia for a short history of the station and a discussion of its funding model.

Great music on great radios!

Dennis

PostPosted: May Sat 23, 2020 1:36 am 

I listen to mine very often, but I kind of cheat. I use a home AM transmitter to make my radios play whatever I want. There's a few stations around where I live, but I can only listen to them for so long before they get boring. Whenever I'm tired of sports, talk radio, or latin music I fire up the transmitter and listen to whatever my heart desires, which is almost always period music.

PostPosted: May Sat 23, 2020 1:48 am 

I listen to the latest one I have fixed until I get another on the bench.

I am running out of room for new ones.

My radio room is only about 12' by 12' and it is chock full of radios and test equipment.

What to do? What to do?

PostPosted: May Sat 23, 2020 2:00 am 

I always have a console in the dining room. We listen every week day for the 8 hours while we are working. I swap them around once in a while to play a different one. We have a local station 1150 WMRD for good programs, WTIC 1080 for news, and WNTY 990 for music from the 60’s through the 80’s.

People may not remember how fast you did a job, but they will remember how well you did it.

PostPosted: May Sat 23, 2020 2:41 am 

Fortunately my "daily driver" Magnavox FM-045 radio has FM. I keep this radio in my home office and often listen to KSEG 96.9 classic rock in Sacramento while I'm working. There are a couple of other local rock stations I listen to as well. I don't usually listen to AM unless there is a major news event, or the SF 49ers are playing. The only music stations around here are on FM.

PostPosted: May Sat 23, 2020 3:15 am 

I listen to something almost every day.

Another with his own xmitters, generally run 24/7 wheather I'm tuned in or not.

PostPosted: May Sat 23, 2020 3:41 am 

AM 600kc Coast to Coast at night. Local station. Also WTWW shortwave from Lebanon, Tennessee. 5085 Mgz. Plays old school classic rock and roll and country. All on my highly modified S-38A. Has transformer, bridge rectifier top hat diodes. A 3rd IF uses 6AG5. A 6SB7Y mixer/oscillator. 6SG7GT IF amp. 6V6 output running around 275 VDC. All JAN tubes. Gain control Can go past 50- AVC. A gimic twisted pair across antenna and oscillator gangs. A inline Dale filter choke. An LED cool white lights the dial. Plus a few other tweaks. Built at NEL Point Loma.

Attachments:
3ed IF.JPG
3ed IF.JPG [ 119.34 KiB | Viewed 352 times ]
transformer.JPG
transformer.JPG [ 113.81 KiB | Viewed 352 times ]

Last edited by thunderbird281 on May Sat 23, 2020 3:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: May Sat 23, 2020 3:44 am 

We have a couple of oldies, sports and news stations. The rest is talk radio garbage.

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/

PostPosted: May Sat 23, 2020 5:07 am 

All the time in Thornhill, Ontario, Canada (just north of Toronto.) I mostly listen to the FM 96.3 classical music station (EDIT: mostly 1950-60's Tube FM tuners), AM 740 at 10 pm weekdays for OTR shows and AM 1010 talk-radio in the mornings for local chat. Now and again AM 680 for local news. I try to avoid the state-run CBC FM on 99.1 as the news and hosts are biased. CBC FM on 94.1 is OK, but I have to avoid the modern "music" they now play.
Cheers,
Roger

Last edited by engineer on May Sat 23, 2020 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May Sat 23, 2020 5:41 am 

i do, i mostly restore radios for fun and rarely sell anything. a few months back my uncle had been coveting my stash and asked if i could restore a radio for him. i found a rca victor 225 from 1935 in ratty shape and got it for $30 . it took a few months of work. i had to literally rebuild the whole thing. from sanding , staining and lacquering the console, repairing the electro dynamic speaker with blue shop towels and diluted wood glue to replacing every capacitor and whatever resistors were out of whack to original values as well as replacinig the wiring harness to the speaker/ot assy and having to replace all of the wires to the grid caps of the tubes from the coils with period correct cloth wire. new cloth covered polarized power cord, new speaker cloth etc. it turned out nice. but i listen to my philco 40-180 regularly. i also have an airline from 1936 in my bedroom but i do also occasionally try to tune in stuff on my hallicrafters s-40b. love playing with radios. oddly earlier today i was wishing there was an old timey station on am that played nothing but old timey music in blocks, like 1940s country for a couple hours, glen miller, tommy dorsey etc. for a couple hours, then re- broadcast old radio shows from the 30s/40s as well as doing a blues show with old timey stuff, maybe play war of the worlds on saturday nights, even a rock n roll show with 50s stuff. why is there not a station doing this in every city?

PostPosted: May Sat 23, 2020 6:54 am 

Several years ago I built a 3 tube receiver which I turn on almost every night, to see how it's picking up a 300 miles distant oldies station out of Fresno (KYNO/1430), and sometimes I can actually hear a song or two before it fades out. I'll also at times turn on my Philco 46-131 farm set, tuned to the same station.

My "daily driver" is a Panasonic RF 3100 sitting on my desk, as I dig the blue fluorescent style digital display. I sometimes have it on the local KSUR/1260 oldies station, but I've recently discovered KCMY/1300 out of Reno, that comes in rather consistently, and plays country music classics.

When in the kitchen or breakfast room, I'll have either KSUR on, or one of my two AM transmitters, playing either oldies or country music from the PC it's being fed from.

Who sez there's nothing on AM? :wink:

PostPosted: May Sat 23, 2020 10:56 am 

engineer wrote:
All the time in Thornhill, Ontario, Canada (just north of Toronto.) I mostly listen to the FM 96.3 classical music station, AM 740 at 10 pm weekdays for OTR shows and AM 1010 talk-radio in the mornings for local chat. Now and again AM 680 for local news. I try to avoid CBC FM on 99.1 as the news and hosts are biased. CBC FM on 94.1 is OK, but I have to avoid the modern "music" they now play.
Cheers,
Roger

When I was growing up, I’d listen to New York stations a lot. 1050 WHN and 1010 WINS. At night they often got obliterated by their Canadian co-channel stations. I’d always say “ Why are those Canadians running so much power” LOL :D

I have to say we love Zoomer Radio down here!

People may not remember how fast you did a job, but they will remember how well you did it.

PostPosted: May Sat 23, 2020 12:13 pm 

I have 2 tube radios that get used regularly. My '57/'58 Zenith console has AM/FM (mono), and a turntable. That gets used multiple times a week. I actually rarely listen to the FM on it. In Mid-Michigan, I'm fortunate enough to have multiple AM music options and decent variety programming during the day, and even more at night. I also like Zoomer radio out of Toronto, but only get it clear at night(about half of the time). I use my '49 Philco multiple times thru the month, and my '65 (solid state) Magnavox Astro-sonic mostly around Christmas and on weekends during the summer. (It's in our sun room). I have many more radios waiting for restoration and plan on using them as much as I can when they are completed.

For those without much AM listening options, you could use a transmitter and transmit local FM radio to your antiques. OR even streaming a radio station from a website through the transmitter. Building a good transmitter for this purpose is on my "to do" list.
-Dennis

PostPosted: May Sat 23, 2020 2:38 pm 

after i populated the new display room that was built last year, i have all my fully restored sets in there.

out in the living room, i have my big fisher hifi console.

i now regularly rotate a table radio out of the radio room and place it on the fisher in the living room.

i turn that radio on now and then b/c AM is good here as well for music of all kinds.

i keep the radios switched up one at a time and used to keep them healthy.

steve

PostPosted: May Sat 23, 2020 2:43 pm 

I listen to them every day. I try to listen at different times..Angelo :D

PostPosted: May Sat 23, 2020 2:44 pm 

My basement shop has always had a radio on the shelf - these days it's an SX-28A - and it's typically
listening to the toronto station at night, music and radio drama/comedy.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 31 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page 1, 2  Next