Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Wed 23, 2021 5:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Crosley 10-138 radio not like the others.
PostPosted: May Fri 14, 2021 3:00 am 

A friend of a friend gave me this dusty old radio to help declutter her basement, and asked if I wanted it. I noticed it said Crosley and it was a
Maroon and gold bakelite cabinet, so I hurridley said yes! But after looking up the specs I noticed the tube numbers don't quite jive with what the radio is supposed to have. This one has a 12SQ7 with the typical 12BA6 12BE6 35W4 and 50C5. The tube chart on the bottom shows this same arrangement, but all the radios on the 'net say it's supposed to have a 12AV6. Apparently this one must be a very early production?

Post subject: Re: Crosley 10-138 radio not like the others.
PostPosted: May Fri 14, 2021 3:25 am 

I have at least a Crosley or two like that with a 12SQ7 instead of 12AV6. I figured that they probably used 12SQ7s because they either had a surplus of them that they wanted to use up, or there was a shortage of 12AV6s. One thing that I noticed about those Crosleys is that they tend to date a date rubber-stamped on the back of the speaker, so you might be able to get an idea of when your set was made.

That mode is one of the very collectible Crosleys, and they generally do not sell for cheap. They are also very good performers with great sound quality when everything is working properly. The schematics show the values of the capacitors built into the IF cans, so you know what to use if you have to replace them.

Larry

PostPosted: May Fri 14, 2021 4:17 am 

I took a look, drat, no rubber stamped date on speaker. But there is a big rubber stamped 285 on back chassis panel. I happened to have another Crosley a friend gave me but it's a 10-135 model, but has the same tube line up using the 12SQ7. This radio is chrome and white. Both radios are in very good condition; I'd give the chrome and white one a "9" and the maroon and gold one a "8.5"!

PostPosted: May Fri 14, 2021 1:57 pm 

In the 1946-51 era, it's not uncommon to find parts and tube substitutions, due to shortages. Not all of them were documented; the manufacturers were trying to get sets "out the door" any way that they could.

PostPosted: May Fri 14, 2021 4:45 pm 

Tim Tress wrote:
In the 1946-51 era, it's not uncommon to find parts and tube substitutions, due to shortages. Not all of them were documented; the manufacturers were trying to get sets "out the door" any way that they could.

Exactly...

Demand was high and almost all the mfgrs were ready to build with miniature, octal or Loktals as supply dictated.

PostPosted: May Fri 14, 2021 10:17 pm 

I have had several of those 10-135 through 10-140 radios and have seen them with both tube lineups. Radiodaze offers reproduction labels for both versions.