Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Wed 20, 2021 9:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 1936 Stewart Warner 1361A refinish completed!
PostPosted: Oct Thu 14, 2021 2:43 am 

This was my the last full refinish job that I've wanted to do for many years. The original finish displayed okay, but, upon inspection, the set had numerous scrapes and nicks. I couldn't salvage it. People who refinish this set seem to want to make the numerous veneers (I counted 6!) pop, so they refinish it too light. The darker veneers then give the set a patch-work look that I don't particularly like. It took a lot of effort to make all the veneers pop, yet keep the overall tone the same. The tone is much like it was originally. The set was sanded down, grain filled, stained, toned, black highlights stippled in, shellac coated, lacquer coated, sanded and buffed (many times over!) A LOT of work. I salvaged the original grille cloth. The knob set is non-original, but look very good. Finding the full knob set for these 1936 Stewart Warner radios, particularly the 2-knob tuning set, has proved nearly impossible.
Anyway, I'm happy to have this beautiful large tombstone back to it's original glory. It plays as you'd expect, fantastic. Like a large console model. The indirectly lit "Magic Dial" lights softly, yet eye-catching.

Attachments:
DSC00224.JPG
DSC00224.JPG [ 860.41 KiB | Viewed 356 times ]
DSC00223.JPG
DSC00223.JPG [ 814.1 KiB | Viewed 356 times ]
DSC00221.JPG
DSC00221.JPG [ 862.49 KiB | Viewed 356 times ]

Post subject: Re: 1936 Stewart Warner 1361A refinish completed!
PostPosted: Oct Thu 14, 2021 3:28 am 

That is very nice with a beautiful finish. Congratulations on your effort.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 14, 2021 5:29 am 

Extremely nice, Joe! Just spectacular!

I'm a little surprised that's the original grill cloth pattern. It's the same as the "Aztec" design that Kenny Richmond reproduces, correct? I'll have to get a piece of it... I have one of the horizontal table models that uses this chassis, and it came to me with a piece of heavy upholstery cloth in the grill.

You say this is one of the last radios you plan to refinish? It's so good!... You're at the top of your game. It'd be a shame to stop now!

PostPosted: Oct Thu 14, 2021 6:46 am 

Stunning refinish .

PostPosted: Oct Thu 14, 2021 10:07 am 

Thank you very much everyone. You all make me think twice about pausing with refinishing. I have gone through this before. By the time you complete a set, you feel like you never want to do another! LOL It's nerve-wracking, messy, smelly, and your arm aches from the hours of sanding an buffing, but, like doing any detailed project, it's such a pleasure to step back and admire your efforts.
The "Aztec" grille cloth is the original and used on the 1936 line of S-W radios. I have another original 1936 model with it. After all the work on the set, I was going to use a replacement cloth, but the original always looks better. This original has issues, but I can always replace it.
I must mention too that this "Craft-Built" cabinet is THE highest quality one I ever recall seeing with an old radio. Inside and on the bottom it has numerous screws, ribbed fasteners, and substantial wooden bracing panels. Even metal bracket inlays! Like something you'd expect on a Scott radio or similar price level set.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 14, 2021 6:58 pm 

That's a beauty! I have owned one for 50+ years; it was one of the first 1930s sets that I found, as a young collector.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 14, 2021 9:11 pm 

Nice!

PostPosted: Oct Thu 14, 2021 11:39 pm 

Tim Tress wrote:
That's a beauty! I have owned one for 50+ years; it was one of the first 1930s sets that I found, as a young collector.

Cool Tim and thank you. The first sets that turned you into a collector always stay a fav. At least for me. I crossed them all off my list so far except for a nice, local, RCA 816K. That one always eludes me! LOL I was lucky with this set from a collector friend I know that was really into Stewart Warner radios, and had this one crammed in storage for many years, which also caused it to get seriously bumped and nicked. It's not a common set to find in decent condition.

Thank you Ray too!