Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Wed 29, 2022 5:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Litz Wire Question
PostPosted: May Tue 17, 2022 12:50 am 

I am trying to recreate a Quaker Oats Crystal set. I may have asked this question before. I am looking for the wire used in this photo. I believe it is litz and 24 gauge. Any idea where i can find it?

Also can someone tell me how the slide is making contact with he wire? Blocked by the shaft?

I have a pristine Mothers Oats Container to use.

Thanks

Len

Attachments:
wire.jpg
wire.jpg [ 72.42 KiB | Viewed 401 times ]

http://www.rhodeislandradio.org

Post subject: Re: Litz Wire Question
PostPosted: May Tue 17, 2022 1:11 am 

It couldn't be Litz type wire.

Litz consists of multiple strands each strand being enameled and insulated from each other to reduce the skin effect at high frequencies.

They would have to scrape off the enamel coating to allow the slider to contact the wire which would defeat the purpose.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: May Tue 17, 2022 1:12 am 

You can buy Litz wire on Ebay.

The picture doesn't look like a working radio. Usually the insulation is sanded off for the slider to make contact.

Jay

PostPosted: May Tue 17, 2022 1:31 am 

I think the wire used back then was 24 gauge "silk" covered magnet wire. Or maybe "cotton-covered".

Jeff

PostPosted: May Tue 17, 2022 1:34 am 

It looks like the slider is a piece of "L-shaped" metal with the bent edge contacting the wire.

Jeff

PostPosted: May Tue 17, 2022 1:37 am 

I've never seen a slider coil made with Litz wire. The slider would have to make contact with all of the strands in order to be effective and that's just not practical. Also the wear and tear of the slider on the fragile and hair thin strands would render the coil useless in time. Every sliding tuning coil, that I've ever seen, has always used solid core wire. Litz wire is mainly used in 1920s loop antennas, modern ferrite loop antennas, and in vintage IF transformers.

PostPosted: May Tue 17, 2022 1:58 am 

I used a paper binding rivet, the kind with the domed head. Carefully bent into a square channel around square bus, then, looped. Soldered the tabs together and used two battery nuts with a short bit of threaded rod to fabricate a double ended knob. The square bus was fashioned into the slide and, offset at each end, looped and a bit of 6/32 binder head screws used to hold to the Quaker Oats box.

I used some 24ga solid green nylon yarn magnet wire.

I did not want to mess with a crystal (like fabricate a "cheesy"crystal stand") so a hot carrier diode was used.

A similar set was built with three slides on a heavy cardboard tube. The set was pre-fabricated and offered for the ARCA contest on Long Island, 1985?, "Farthest set built on Orient Point". I completed the set and received a NYC station on headphones.... Got the ribbon :)

The coil is completed as is the slider, the run for the slider on the coil is coated with lacquer and allowed to dry hard. A bit of 220 sandpaper under the slider and a few swipes cleans the cotton or nylon away in just the right spot, the lacquer keeps the yarn from fraying... Looks very professional.

Do we really need a pix?

BTW the set offered by Quaker was with the label separate, The label glued after the coil wind, on top of the winding...

I tried to get the label off of a Quaker Oats box, impossible...

Chas