Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Mon 04, 2022 10:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: First stereo FM radios or tuners
PostPosted: May Mon 23, 2022 8:43 pm 

I guess it depends on your definition, but I would think the Fisher FM-100 would qualify, and it was introduced in late 1959. A multiplex module was made for the Crosby system, which Fisher assumed would be the FCC's choice, though it ultimately was not. Still, one could install a MPX-65 multiplex module into the FM-100 making it capable of receiving current FM stations in stereo. I guess I see this as a little different than just providing a MPX jack as the tuner was designed for built in multiplex - Fisher just didn't know what to build in until the FCC made it's decision.

PostPosted: May Tue 24, 2022 11:57 pm 

Here's a vintage British FM tuner... circa 1960's... has on-board stereo decoder. The brand is Rogers (no connection to Canada's CFRB and now major telecomm company.)
I had to replace a 703 chip in it (hard to find!) I still want to change the de-emphasis to 74 usec (from the UK 50 usec), but have not got a "round tuit" yet.
The top unit is an Electrohome AM tuner...
Audio is Koss powered speakers
Cheers,
Roger

Attachments:
IMG_8937.JPG
IMG_8937.JPG [ 744.79 KiB | Viewed 277 times ]

Last edited by engineer on May Fri 27, 2022 3:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: May Wed 25, 2022 12:47 am 

Hello Roger, you didn't mention the tuner amp on top is a Dominion Electrohome.
That's a good example of combined components for a custom stereo system.

On the West side of Canada, we only had QM-FM, but have to check the date, only one FM station featuring "easy listening". FM radios were part of the phono system and we listened to AM and LP's mostly. People could tune in to Percy Faith and His Orchestra once in a while to hear that static-free FM audio. QM FM stayed afloat by supplying Musak to the malls around Vancouver, so FM radio had minimal commercials or none, even, can't remember hearing any.

PostPosted: May Fri 27, 2022 4:00 am 

westcoastjohn wrote:
... you didn't mention the tuner amp on top is a Dominion Electrohome.
That's a good example of combined components for a custom stereo system...

Indeed. The two units are in the bedroom... I switch from AM to FM stereo with a push-button audio switch. Of course, the FM sounds better, but somewhat "bright" due to the wrong de-emphasis for NA.
Cheers,
Roger

PostPosted: May Sun 29, 2022 5:32 am 

classicelectronicsguy wrote:
I guess it depends on your definition, but I would think the Fisher FM-100 would qualify, and it was introduced in late 1959. A multiplex module was made for the Crosby system, which Fisher assumed would be the FCC's choice, though it ultimately was not. Still, one could install a MPX-65 multiplex module into the FM-100 making it capable of receiving current FM stations in stereo. I guess I see this as a little different than just providing a MPX jack as the tuner was designed for built in multiplex - Fisher just didn't know what to build in until the FCC made it's decision.

There were many other pre-multiplex tuners with provision to mount a decoder module later, when the standard was know and finalized. Some had a cut out in the chassis, and/or multipole connectors to supply the decoder, etc... Harman-Kardon, H.H Scott, Sherwood, and very likely many others made it, But (IMO) these don't qualify to the O.P's definition. There were also multiplex decoders based on the early Crosby system (from Heathkit, Fisher, Karg Laboratories,...) but this system was rejected by the FCC in favor of the Zenith/GE standard, still in use today.

The very first U.S marketed stand alone (with on board decoder,no external or add-on module needed) multiplex stereo FM tuner using the adopted Zenith/GE system was the H.H Scott 350 (no suffix) which is not really a surprise since Daniel Von Recklinghausen H.H Scott chief engineer and FM expert was also a member and technical consultant of the FCC FM stereo comitee responsible for deciding on the choice of system to be adopted. So HH Scott had a slight lead over all the other manufacturers and were ready to manufacture a stereo tuner and adaptor as soon as the adopted standard was know (which they did), and whatever the final standard will be. H.H Scott also produced the very first FM stereo multiplex laboratory generator (the model 830) which was also used in the early phases of stereo broadcasts to modulate the transmitter with a FCC compatible multiplex stereo signal.
D.V.R wrote many technical articles about the FM multiplex stereo process and was considered as an expert in this field.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 25 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page Previous  1, 2