Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Thu 21, 2019 6:46 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 64  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Mon 20, 2010 5:42 pm 

Hello Michael,
I am a long time addicted of your website and I can't stop admiring your gorgeous superhets.
As you start with the 1928 model, please be informed that I own an almost untouched model, complete of any part, so please do not hesitate to ask any question or picture in case you need it for your restoration.
Congratulations for you Victoreen too. I own one of them and it look 100% like yours, with the exception of the cabinet - featuring wood panel even for the front.
Thanks,

Luca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Wed 22, 2010 10:13 pm 

Talking about Victoreen.. i need some help, i bough a nice Victoreen superhet, but in the shipping i have some broken parts, not to worry, or yes, because i´ve never seen this transformer unit before : Victoreen 112. Anyone can help??? the pot metal cover is broken and cracked...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Wed 22, 2010 10:36 pm 

I'm just eating this stuff up! Having been a TRF guy for decades, the superhets have always interested me but aside from the RCA, I've had no luck finding more. Definitely an area I want to learn more about and do more with in coming years. Reading about the Trans-Atlantic tests really got me hooked. Some of the homebrew sets I've seen are true works of art.

Ron, I've spent hours on your superhet page drooling, especially over the Leutz equipment. The bigger and more gadgetry it has, the better to me.

Thanks for posting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Sun 26, 2010 3:47 am 

Deleted

Last edited by Duane B on Feb Tue 20, 2018 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Sun 26, 2010 5:17 am 

Location: Radio Heaven, North Carolina, near Charlotte, 28106-3015
Todd, KA1KAQ wrote:
Ron, I've spent hours on your superhet page drooling, especially over the Leutz equipment. The bigger and more gadgetry it has, the better to me. Thanks for posting.

Todd, you're practically in the neighborhood now, come down for a visit and see it in person.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Tue 04, 2011 5:02 pm 

Here's my latest posting to this great thread. This is my 1928 Remler "Infradyne" TRF/superheterodyne radio receiver. I had just finished restoring it last week and it performs wonderfully. The chassis had been professionally repainted by a local auto body shop. Using the chassis of my all original Remler "29" receiver we were able to match the correct semi gloss black and apply it to the Infradyne's chassis. Everything else is origional including the finish on the wooden base. Later I'll post a photo of this set with it's cover on. Right now I'm lining the bottom of the cover with thin strips of felt so as to not scratch the chassis whenever I put on or take of the cover.

Image Image

Some observations of this radio:

When tuning up or down the dial, both drum dials will move in the same direction but the RF condensers and the Osc. condenser move in opposite directions. This is because the Infradyne upconverts the incoming signals unlike most superhets which downconverts the incoming signals.

TRF mode is only good for local reception. Using the superhet mode for local reception will cause the local stations to come in so loud that it's difficult to maintain low volume.

Distant Reception is best tuned in using the superhet mode since the TRF mode isn't strong enough to bring in the distant stations at a listenable level. In TRF mode, if you try to bring up the volume on a distant station to a listenable level, you run the risk of throwing it into regeneration.

The tuning section has levers attached to the tuning condenser and all three coils. As you tune up or down the dial, the levers adjust the inductance of the coils for a more uniform reception.

There are four Broad/Selective switches on the front end tuner.

Tuning range is from about 1300 kHz to well below the AM band where I can receive a number of Airport beacons. I think the coils are a bit to large. If the coils had fewer windings, the set would be able to tune in much higher on the AM band.

The set sounds great with those three SM audios. Lots of base when any speaker is hooked up to it.

Last edited by Indiana Radios on Jul Tue 18, 2017 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Tue 04, 2011 5:17 pm 

new_radioline wrote:
Hello Michael,

I am a long time addicted of your website and I can't stop admiring your gorgeous superhets.

Luca

Thanks, Luca, for the nice comment. It's always nice to hear that somebody enjoys visiting my website. From what I understand, you have a nice collection of superhets to. May I suggest you post some photos of some of your superhets here on ARF for all to see. I'm sure you have many examples, American and European, that many collectors have never seen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Tue 04, 2011 5:22 pm 

Beautiful job Michael. How did you get the drum dial scales so clean? Repro? Is the copper colored side
of the chassis painted or plated?

-Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Wed 05, 2011 12:36 am 

Hi Michael,

The writer of this article finishes with the quoted passage. Other aspersions are cast at the Infradyne, as well, through the text. Are you able to comment on the criticisms yet, WRT it's performance?
I have always wondered, as I thought it sounded like a good idea.

eg. WRT to one of the assertions, other info I have read, seems to suggest that 199's were up to the task of amplifying higher frequencies? (The probable reason they were used in the IF Amp and the Oscillator.)

Thanks.

http://www.antiqueradios.org/gazette/infradyn.htm

Quote:
Several different designs of the complete Infradyne receiver were featured in Radio, but they were mainly the same circuit using a different layout and different components (other than the Infradyne amplifier). The Infradyne seemed to fade away in 1927. To this writer's knowledge the design never saw commercial production. It seems to have been a "wild idea" with little real merit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Wed 05, 2011 12:45 am 

Quote:
WRT to one of the assertions, other info I have read, seems to suggest that 199's were up to the task of amplifying higher frequencies? (The probable reason they were used in the IF Amp and the Oscillator.)

Selected 99s will work fine at 7MHz. I have a 1925 regen that uses them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Wed 05, 2011 1:21 am 

Your Infradyne looks great Michael! Glad to hear that it works as good as it looks too. Do you have any photos of how it looked before?

Duane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Wed 05, 2011 12:09 pm 

Indiana Radios
Quote:
Tuning range is from about 1300 kHz to well below the AM band where I can receive a number of Airport beacons. I think the coils are a bit to large. If the coils had fewer windings, the set would be able to tune in much higher on the AM band.

Hi Michael

Does the cam vary the tuning inductance or vary the coupling between the primaries and secondaries?

I was thinking that, if it varies the tuning inductance value, then an adjustment of the cam, in conjunction with adjustment of the trimmer capacitors on each gang, might get you back in the ballpark of at least 1500kHz? (If that is what it was designed for?).

You have probably gone down this track already though. :)

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Fri 07, 2011 8:27 pm 

I have added two pages to my website detailing restoration efforts on two superhets.

Here is a link to the restoration of a Leutz C-10:
http://www.duanesradios.info/html/c10_restored.html

And here is a link to the restoration of a Scott Worlds Record Super Eight Economy:
http://www.duanesradios.info/html/scott_restored.html

Duane

Last edited by Duane B on Feb Tue 20, 2018 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Fri 07, 2011 10:20 pm 

Duane B wrote:
I have added two pages to my website detailing restoration efforts on two superhets.

Here is a link to the restoration of a Leutz C-10:
http://www.duanesradios.info/html/c10_restored.html

And here is a link to the restoration of a Scott Worlds Record Super Eight Economy:
http://www.duanesradios.info/html/scott_restored.html

Duane

Thanks for sharing!! i really love this superhets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Fri 07, 2011 10:52 pm 

Beautiful work, Duane.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Fri 07, 2011 11:09 pm 

Rightly...Duane...they're like 'liza Doolittle...Ya made'em into Queens!! :lol:

Outstanding!!

Rick

See lots of 1920s Superhets at http://www.superhets.info/page5.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Thu 13, 2011 3:47 am 

Keeping the thread going, and going... I'm looking at an Ultradyne L2 kit radio a guy has for sale. This kit was definitely put together by a novice as the wiring job looks like a cobweb of wires going in every which direction. It's not a neat squared off wiring job. But, all the Ultradyne components do appear to be intact and in very good condition. Also, although the chassis fits into the cabinet, the bakelite front panel slightly overlaps the outside sides of the cabinet. Normally you see the panel inset to the case.
Is it acceptable to "re-wire" these old superhets using the same style hard bus wire? Also, can any of you Roarding 20 Superhet aficionados give me an approx value of these Ultradynes?
Thanks,
Britt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Thu 13, 2011 4:05 am 

Britt - I have a complete and unassembled Ultradyne L2...my plan is to build it one of these days. I would say that yes, it is acceptable to rework the kit sets and clean them up. Try to use as much period original material as possible...although the modern buss wire is fine. I've got some period magazine articles on the L2...if you are interested, let me know at kent3256 (at) hotmail.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Thu 13, 2011 4:31 am 

I think around 100 bucks is a fair price for a Ultradyne L-2. I have two of them, one of which I restored and display it with the recommended bristol horn, and also the correct loop antenna.

The second L-2 had two extra pots on the front panel so it became a parts radio for restoring the better radio.

I have been researching Lacault and his Ultradynes for many years. I have only a few of his radios, and I hope to find an unbuilt kit someday, which I would keep unbuilt.

I have the Ultradyne L3 but still have not found a L1 or a LR4. The search is the real challange.

Photo of my L2 can be found on this page.
http://www.maarc.org/picsRA2007/PhotoPageRA07_5.html

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Thu 13, 2011 5:55 am 

Quote:
I have been researching Lacault and his Ultradynes for many years. I have only a few of his radios, and I hope to find an unbuilt kit someday, which I would keep unbuilt.

David, you might want to check with Howard Stone of "Stone Vintage Radio."

http://stonevintageradio.com/

If memory serves me, Several years ago Howard had an unbuilt kit in storage. Dunno if he still has it, but it might be worth asking.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 1277 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 64  Next