Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Sun 29, 2020 7:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Tips On Indoor FM Antenna
PostPosted: Dec Tue 30, 2014 4:54 pm 

Are there any that you might buy for home use. What do you recommend if any.

Post subject: Re: Tips On Indoor FM Antenna
PostPosted: Dec Tue 30, 2014 5:12 pm 

The standard folded dipole works ok, a verticle/in the clear wire about 1/4 wavelength cut for the middle of the band taped to the wall behind the stereo would do for local reception. There are also amplified indoor antennas available.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 30, 2014 5:49 pm 

Hard to beat a folded dipole.

15 minutes of work on $1.00 worth of 300 ohm TV flatline.

http://home.earthlink.net/~schultdw/ant ... ption.html

I have always made mine symmetrical, but I think I will try this offset design to correct for cable materials.

Rich

PostPosted: Dec Tue 30, 2014 5:54 pm 

directional :

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=FM6&ss=406216

if there is that one particular 50-90 mile station that you want to receive, use this.

omnidirectional:

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=FMSS&ss=406217

if you want much better reception for local and semi distant 30-50 mile away stations, use this.

you terrain and local structures may vary the distances I stated above.

I've used both of these for each application and they worked great here. I'm 2500 feet above sea level and look down on the horizons from my neighborhood, so I'm in the clear.

when we actually had FM radio that was worth listening to, I used each of these and they were fantastic. they are wonderful antennae. they are a cut above any indoor dipole or amplified antenna...I've used those also and they did not hold a card to the two links listed above.

sorry if there are any spelling mistakes. I'm bug eyed from an eye dr visit's dilation.

steve

PostPosted: Dec Tue 30, 2014 11:09 pm 

I picked up a Terk Tower amplified antenna the other day from a goodwill and it actually worked pretty good. I use it on me HD Radio.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 31, 2014 2:03 am 

Flinx wrote:
I picked up a Terk Tower amplified antenna the other day from a goodwill and it actually worked pretty good. I use it on me HD Radio.

I've had one of those connected to one of my stereo radios for quite sometime.

On another, I use a Rat Shack dipole TV antenna;
http://www.radioshack.com/radioshack-hd ... na&start=4

And on a third, a flexible 300 ohm twin lead, as illustrated above.

All work well.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 31, 2014 4:19 am 

ok, i apologize. as i was so bug eyed this morning from a retnial check, my pupils were as big as quarters.

i thought the post said OUT DOOR antenna....

:oops:

sorry.

steve

PostPosted: Dec Wed 31, 2014 2:15 pm 

Dutch Rabbit wrote:
ok, i apologize. as i was so bug eyed this morning from a retnial check, my pupils were as big as quarters.

i thought the post said OUT DOOR antenna....

:oops:

sorry.

steve

If I only knew your situation I could have used Braille, kidding, hope the eyes are fine. You were of help, I have thoughts of maybe a smaller type yaggie also . We have restrictions about mounting on the roof tops so it most likely would go on the 6 foot patio fence.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 31, 2014 2:49 pm 

thanks.....but i don't think my screen is braille compatible !

those antennae are great. the only problem is that on units with a cheaper fm front-end they will overload everything and you will get the 3 locals all over the fm dial. much of the newer stuff falls into this category whether it be "shelf" systems or new surround sound receivers.

you would be better off with a twin lead "dipole" for those types.

on bigger, better, more expensive to mid-grade vintage receivers and tuners which have a very good front end, eacn antenna is wonderful.

happy new year.

steve

PostPosted: Dec Wed 31, 2014 3:02 pm 

Dutch Rabbit wrote:
thanks.....but i don't think my screen is braille compatible !

those antennae are great. the only problem is that on units with a cheaper fm front-end they will overload everything and you will get the 3 locals all over the fm dial. much of the newer stuff falls into this category whether it be "shelf" systems or new surround sound receivers.

you would be better off with a twin lead "dipole" for those types.

on bigger, better, more expensive to mid-grade vintage receivers and tuners which have a very good front end, eacn antenna is wonderful.

happy new year.
I'm using a 11 tube Dynaco fm tuner hooked up to a Harmon Kardon PM660 high current capability integrated amplifier.

steve

PostPosted: Dec Wed 31, 2014 3:16 pm 

hoffies, nothing after my quote. the site just locked up for me and killed a post. i think your post is in the quote.

if so, i've used these antennae on tube tuners too. they are hot along with the sansui tu717 and a few high end pioneer tuners and other brands of tuners or receivers.

steve

PostPosted: Dec Wed 31, 2014 3:34 pm 

These work pretty good in this orientation:

Stay away from the newer ones that are real cheaply priced. Because they are junk.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 31, 2014 3:50 pm 

hoffies2 wrote:
We have restrictions about mounting on the roof tops so it most likely would go on the 6 foot patio fence.
Great idea to get around roof-top restrictions especially if you can mount it on a 6 or 10 foot mast above the fence. Any type of antenna will work best if mounted outside.

Dave

PostPosted: Dec Wed 31, 2014 7:22 pm 

If you've access to the attic and can run some twinlead or coax there, you could always smuggle an outdoor antenna to the attic and zoom in on your fav stations if desired via a directional antenna, or use a turnstyle for omnidirectional coverage.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 31, 2014 7:30 pm 

db gain wrote:
If you've access to the attic and can run some twinlead or coax there, you could always smuggle an outdoor antenna to the attic and zoom in on your fav stations if desired via a directional antenna, or use a turnstyle for omnidirectional coverage.

No access to the roof crawl space. I decided, tack up a dipole over the upstairs outside window, run wire down the outside wall and come in the cable entrance hole and over to my Dynaco tuner.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 31, 2014 9:29 pm 

Flinx wrote:
These work pretty good in this orientation:

Stay away from the newer ones that are real cheaply priced. Because they are junk.

i use one of these in the shop's attic only in a completely horizontal position and it "is open" toward pittsburgh so pittsburgh signals are arriving perpendicular to it.

again, i'm up 2500 feet and i am the highest house in the neighborhood, looking down on the pittsburgh horizon while pgh is 80 miles from me over that horizon.

i was going to put one of the ringo-turnstile or beam antenna up that i described above, but i use my computer with 8K songs on it in the shop and rarely listen to fm.

yes, those antennas work well too in a pinch. i've used them many a time.

steve