Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Wed 20, 2019 8:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Which version of the Jet?
Poll ended at Feb Sat 09, 2019 10:27 pm
AM-only with chassis 58A (model 375, 5803, or other)  36%  [ 4 ]
AM/FM with chassis 511A (model 5110 or other)  64%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 11
 Post subject: How Many Members own a Setchell Carlson Jet?
PostPosted: Feb Thu 09, 2017 10:27 pm 

• Please select which version you currently own.
  • Both options may be selected if you own both.
  • Please post a reply if you have more than one of either.

Please post more info if you're willing to share it: Serial number, cabinet color, foot color, dial material (plastic or glass), knob color.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: How Many Members own a Setchell Carlson Jet?
PostPosted: Feb Thu 09, 2017 11:01 pm 

My Jet is AM/FM, chassis 511A, serial number 119.

Cabinet is original, not refinished. Color is light-to-medium brown--just the normal brown color used as the base color on most radios that aren't mahogany or walnut.

Feet same color as body. Knobs are black. Dial face is plastic.

Attachments:
SetchellCarlson_5110_SN119.jpg
SetchellCarlson_5110_SN119.jpg [ 65.7 KiB | Viewed 4466 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Fri 10, 2017 12:10 pm 

On the Setchell Carlson Radio I have, there is a silver and black metal name tag attached to the Chassis which says Serial 58A 599. New Brighton, Minnesota U. S. A. Licensed by RCA & Hazeltine.

There is also a stamp on the rounded cardboard antenna section with these words imprinted or stamped into the cardboard: U. S. Patent No. 2282789 and also stamped above this is the number 511A860.

I am not quite sure as to exactly what these numbers mean aside from this 'Jet" being the AM Model 58A.

The numbers on the cardboard section of the rounded antenna indicate to me this is Model 511A, but that number should be an AM/FM Model only? Maybe the same rounded antenna's were used in all of these radios and this number may have been stamped on all of them?

The long strip of paper listing all the connections (Phono jack ect.) on the back is fully in place and although fragile, is complete and readable.

The large speaker appears original. There is no name or stamp on the speaker.

The dial face and cover (plastic) is in good to fair condition as the outer one is protruding back a bit on the right end of the radio, but should go back in place with an adaptor (to be developed later) to hold it back in place. The inner numbered one is in good condition. This radio does not appear to need a replacement face dial. The electric cord is in good condition. All tubes are in place, but not sure if any have been replaced as of now. They are probably the original Setchell Carlson vacuum tubes. The Dial lamp appears burned out, and is probably a No 44 or 47 lamp from what I can tell. If anyone knows wha Dial lamp No. was used originally, let me know. I would guess this Radio was packed away in a very dry environment for a long time.

Mine is under restoration now. It needs refinishing and complete electronic work, as the older varnish is dry and flaking in places. There is no rust, only dusty and some spider webs. The chassis looks like a chrome finish. The wooden cabinet seems very dried out. The cabinet stain appears darker than the one photographed above, but the solid legs are the same medium brown color. The rubber tabs on the bottom are in good condition. This "Jet" may be the same brown color once it is stripped and refinished.

The grill cloth appears like new, and exactly like the one pictured above this comment. The knobs are different, but appear to be original and black in color.

I will update this hopefully later with photographs once the work is completed. I have only recently acquired this Radio, but very pleased with it, and can definitely see its' potential.

If anyone understands this numbering system as I have outlined it, please let me know. Thanks, Rich

Last edited by ZenithStratosphere on Feb Fri 17, 2017 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 12, 2017 3:14 am 

My Jet is an AM/FM chassis 511A Serial # 1054. Mahogany cabinet, Plastic dial, white knobs, no feet (unclear if they got removed sometime before it reached me). Grille cloth is of a lighter material than others, a flat material in a tan color with a gold metallic thread woven in it. This radio does not have any obvious indications of anyone having it apart in the past. As of now, neither have I.
Attachment:
Jet F.jpg
Jet F.jpg [ 224.62 KiB | Viewed 4320 times ]
Attachment:
Jet Ser#.jpg
Jet Ser#.jpg [ 216.62 KiB | Viewed 4320 times ]
I'm curious about the dials. In the northeast, all I've ever encountered that came from the area are the plastic ones, usually in poor condition. I corresponded with another Jet owner from the south that had a 511A with a glass dial who said he's only found glass dial sets. Luck or coincidence?

PostPosted: Feb Sun 12, 2017 4:24 am 

I own a blonde AM/FM version
Serial # 747

~jeff~

PostPosted: Feb Sun 12, 2017 5:01 am 

You know guys. My heart is breaking for those of you who are forced to deal with one of these dreadful things in your homes. I would be more than willing to take yours off your hands anytime. Yes--I'd be willing to take the hit. :lol:

What cool looking old radios. If I'm reading correctly, these are AM/FM players right? How do they perform on the FM band?

Ross
If it works, DON'T give it to me...

PostPosted: Feb Sun 12, 2017 9:52 am 

Here is a pic of my blonde Jet (AM only). I've had it for many years. About 30 years ago, I remember seeing one of these radios for the first time at a church rummage sale and thinking "Who would want such an ugly radio". It was $20 and I passed on it. :oops:

Attachments:
radios12.jpg
radios12.jpg [ 123.37 KiB | Viewed 4284 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Sun 12, 2017 12:58 pm 

artdecoradios wrote:
I remember seeing one of these radios for the first time at a church rummage sale and thinking "Who would want such an ugly radio". It was $20 and I passed on it. :oops:

I think we've all had that moment.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 14, 2017 8:51 pm 

Rodney , as you know by now, I sold my Jet at Kutztown a couple of years ago. It was the AM/FM version with a glass dial. A very beautiful radio that played well after restoration which included rebuilding 3 IF cans ( not an easy task to determine the correct caps to use}
Only sold it because it didn't really fit my collection which is all prewar and wanted to use the money I got for it to invest in a Detrola T3. Fits my collection much better.
Frank

PostPosted: Feb Fri 17, 2017 10:23 am 

From the information received thus far, it seems the cabinet size and shape is the same for all the different "Jets". The stain and wood color can differ as does the grill cloth pattern and material can vary (if original). The face dials all seem to be the same both the AM only and the AM/FM Set.

Interesting how the Radios had both a glass dial face and a plastic dial face, and the plastic ones for some seem to really bend and warp over time, but not always the case. New one's are available from Radio Daze.

The knobs seem to vary both in shape and also color, either black or creme white, and either a protruding style of a flatter rounded style.

Does any of the information (Model and Serial numbers and also the U.S. Patent number) received so far indicate how many were made and over what period of years from 1949?

PostPosted: Feb Tue 21, 2017 1:37 am 

Mahogany. Plastic face plate.
Ser # 258, I think.

Attachments:
IMG_7100.JPG
IMG_7100.JPG [ 163.01 KiB | Viewed 4075 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Tue 21, 2017 1:37 am 

Mahogany. Plastic face plate.
Ser # 258, I think.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 21, 2017 2:28 am 

This is proving an interesting site for the owner's of a Setchell Carlson "The Jet" Radio both in the number of sets still in existence and also how many are the AM only and also the number of AM/FM sets. From this latest information and photograph, although many grill cloths can be seen, I have a feeling the grill cloth used on this last entry is one of the original one's, as it seems to comes up quite often. It is also on "The Jet" I have and appears to be a type of plastic cloth as opposed to a linen, cotton or other type of grill cloth. The grill cloth seems to be made of plastic threads and very heavy duty. It stands to reason this particular type of cloth would hold up well over the years. I have seen other grill cloths I like better, but prefer to stay with the original put on by Setchell Carlson if feasible and the original is still in good condition. I doubt if this particular grill cloth has ever been reproduced.

As most of the informative sites list 1949 at the year this Radio was designed and produced by Setchell Carlson, it would be interesting to know if the production lasted for a few years past 1949, as some of the sites do list years of production into 1954 presenting somewhat of a mystery?

Also, it seems the AM only model may have been produced in the first production runs with the AM/FM sets made in the years after 1949 if what I am reading is correct? Anyone have any ideas on this issue regarding the history of this radio?

PostPosted: Feb Tue 21, 2017 3:42 am 

The more rare FM model may have been more common. :shock:

PostPosted: Feb Tue 21, 2017 6:05 am 

From the statistics turned in so far, your comment is correct.
Bart Setchell in producing such an unusually designed radio cabinet (nothing like any of his other radios which were primarily AM), may have intended the now commonly known "Jet" to be not only advanced in design, but also promoting the relatively new Frequency Modulation (FM) band as many other Companies were beginning to do at the time, especially Zenith with their earlier Dual FM Dial radios. The new FM Dial had been approved in 1948 and the "Jet" came out in 1949.

The majority of "Jets" produced by Setchell Carlson may indeed be primarily AM/FM radios, and if an accurate number could be determined, it just may show that the AM/FM Models had the highest number in production as opposed to the AM only. Right now that is what the statistics are showing.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 21, 2017 9:43 am 

Alright, I just spent several hours reading every thread and tracing down every link from those threads to online examples of these radios. I haven't done a thorough general Google search yet, but I will say that I find more relevant hits through ARF than in a general Google search.

The results are a bit surprising, and have changed some of my thinking on these radios:

1. I was able to identify 19 unique radios (not counting repeats), plus a few without enough info to count them. 8 of 19 are AM-only, 11 of 19 are AM-FM. No conclusion yet which one is more common.

2. Serial numbers were easier to find for the FM model for some reason. I found 4 of 8 AM-only serial numbers (50%). All of the AM-only serial numbers are well below 1000: 258, 333, 440, and 599. [Also, I'm pretty convinced that Mark Stein's famous "Model 58A-375" was actually model 5803, serial# 375.]

3. I found 9 of 11 AM-FM serial numbers, plus half of a 10th (call it 86%). Six AM-FM serial numbers are: 119, 556, 641, 747, 865, 1054. These serial numbers are all stamped on a metal tag on the top of the chassis, like the AM-only radios. Then there's a gap, then 3 serial numbers in the 2300-2399 range: 2367, 2382, and 23xx (couldn't read the last 2 digits). Finally, there's one serial number in the 3000-3099 range: 3035. The 2300 and 3000 series numbers are printed on a paper tag on the back of the chassis.

4. Serial numbers on the AM-only and AM-FM models overlap, and none of the AM-only serial numbers is the same as the AM-FM serial numbers. I'm beginning to think that the AM-only and AM-FM models were both in production concurrently in 1949. About 1000-1100 were made, total, AM and AM-FM together.

5. A second, maybe even a third, run of the AM-FM model consisted possibly of only 100-200 radios, or maybe of about 800 radios if other serial numbers between 2382 and 3035 turn up. Not enough info to draw conclusions on a 2nd-3rd run yet. They represent only 4 of 19 radios, all AM-FM, so definitely less common than the other ones. If there were 800 of them, I'd expect them to be better represented, so I'm thinking less than 200.

6. I found two grill cloths that both appear to be original (two of each shown in this thread to date). They are almost equally likely, with 6 of 19 having the cross-hatched black-brown cloth (3 AM-only, 3 AM-FM), and 8 of 19 having the textured gold cloth (3 AM-only, 5 AM-FM).

7. The original knobs are the flatter ones shown in this thread, in either black or white, including 11 of 19 radios. Three radios found without this style knob were all different from each other, and all obvious replacements. 5 radios had no photo of knobs available. Black counted for 8 of 11 radios (3 of 4 AM radios, 5 of 7 AM-FM radios). White counted for 3 of 11 radios (1 of 4 AM radios, 2 of 7 AM-FM radios). The black knobs seem to be about 2 to 3 times more common than white.

8. 12 radios mention the dial material, 7 do not. 11 of 12 radios had plastic dials. 1 of 12 radios had a glass dial. I am starting to suspect the glass was a replacement, but no definite conclusion yet.

9. 11 radios have pictures of the IF transformers, 8 do not. 10 of 11 radios have IF transformers held to the chassis with clips. 1 of 11 has IF transformers held to the chassis with bolts. The one with bolts is serial number 119, the earliest one. It probably has replacement IF cans, but there's a small chance the IFs changed early in production.

10. There's a clear distinction between the blonde cabinet and the other color(s), but I honestly can't tell if there is one other color or two. I'm *pretty* sure there are two, a brown version and a red version, but it's very hard to tell from photos. Of 19 radios: 3 blonde, 4 possibly brown, 9 possibly red, 3 unrecorded or refinished.

11. Original radios had the foot color matching the cabinet color. The only radios with the foot color different from the cabinet color stated that they had been refinished. I believe the original cabinets all had matching-color feet. More examples could come to light, so it may be early to know.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 06, 2017 5:58 am 

A recent purchase of the Model 58A. In "as found " condition. Standard mahogany stain. One of the front feet is missing. Otherwise the standard Model 58A AM version with the RCA Phono Jack. I just hope it makes it through the mails in good condition. It is being sent to me via Fed-EX. The knobs are obvious replacements. I have never seen this color of knob or shape before on a Setchell Carlson Model 58A Radio.
One of the front feet is going to need a replacement. The front dial plate appears to be plastic from what I can tell will need to be replaced. Radio Daze carries exact reproductions of both the front and inner station dials. It does not appear to have the bending so commonly seen with the original one's.

The grill cloth looks original. and can be cleaned as the original one's were a plastic type of thread (that generally cleans well with Simple Green or a similar product), especially since there are no tears in the material.

I will be able to add some more information once I receive the radio.

Attachments:
375770129143429rd 2.JPG
375770129143429rd 2.JPG [ 47.45 KiB | Viewed 3299 times ]
209362129143429rd 12.JPG
209362129143429rd 12.JPG [ 62.23 KiB | Viewed 3298 times ]
404774929143429rd.JPG
404774929143429rd.JPG [ 77.71 KiB | Viewed 3286 times ]
356299729143429rd.JPG
356299729143429rd.JPG [ 76.72 KiB | Viewed 3285 times ]

Last edited by ZenithStratosphere on Oct Mon 15, 2018 12:10 am, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 06, 2017 6:19 am 

Very nice, congratulations! Looks like it's in great condition!

I will be keeping my fingers crossed that it arrives to you safely.

Let us know the serial number when you get it, it will be interesting to see where it fits in with the above information.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 06, 2017 7:06 am 

I added a few more photographs that were taken by the seller of this radio. I am just now figuring out how to work this photo section on my computer. I had the old one nailed down pat, but when I got a new computer they had changed all the methods I had been accustomed to using. It appears the front plastic dial may be cracked, but just how bad it is I'll know once it is received. The paper nameplate on the backside of the chassis is in good condition which seems to be the case on most of these radios I have seen previously. Sort of amazing, as it is a fragile strip of thin paper, but generally seems to be on most of the existing Setchell Carlson Model 58A and the AM/FM models. The brown knobs if not original, certainly work well with the stain of the wood. I have seen the black, creme colored and combination ones and now this brown color which may be a replacement, but an old replacement.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 06, 2017 4:13 pm 

Sold mine which was in perfect condition, buyer paid $225.00 which is a fair price. I also thought it was sorta ugly configuration.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 43 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next