Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Tue 19, 2019 10:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Which version of the Jet?
Poll ended at Feb Sat 09, 2019 10:27 pm
AM-only with chassis 58A (model 375, 5803, or other)  36%  [ 4 ]
AM/FM with chassis 511A (model 5110 or other)  64%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 11
 Post subject: Re: How Many Members own a Setchell Carlson Jet?
PostPosted: Dec Tue 25, 2018 9:55 pm 

I have found over the years that the radios often most sought after are in many ways those radios that were connected to a person's childhood in some way. The sentimental value in many cases seems to be a major factor. :)
A radio having belonged to Grandparent's or having some significance to a person't past is oftentimes of much greater importance than the actual monetary value of a particular radio. I was at a Technician's house and helped one of his elderly customer's unload a large Majestic Console that had belonged to her Grandmother. Unfortunately, the radio needed so much work and was in such bad condition cabinet wise and so forth, the technician had to refuse the job. I always wondered if that woman was ever able to get her beloved old radio repaired, but hope she eventually was successful in her efforts.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 15, 2019 9:03 pm 

There is one Youtube posting of a Setchell Carlson "The Jet", an AM/FM Model that had been recently acquired on Ebay. The radio according to the new owner is now or will be in the process of restoration.
So, only the AM portion of the radio is working, but people can now actually see and hear one in action. I have no idea how to post on Youtube, but glad one of the member's was able to get this one uploaded.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 15, 2019 9:39 pm 

That's my Setchell Carlson "Jet" (SN 511A587) on YouTube. I just finished refurbishing it (see photo at http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=354345). I am in the process of updating the YouTube video. BTW, it does play on FM. Edit: New video is at https://youtu.be/5zwljHH7S_0.

Larry

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 43 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3