Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Mon 03, 2022 5:21 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Radio Lamp Chassis?
PostPosted: Dec Fri 24, 2021 7:22 pm 

Hello,

I know that this is probably a real long shot, but I’m looking for a chassis for this radio lamp. It’s in pretty good shape. Does anyone know who might have one? If I can’t find one, I’ll probably just end up putting a transistor radio in there. Got knobs and dial coming, just looking for a chassis. You can see from the pictures that whoever had it before me was just using it as a lamp and I would like to have both radio and lamp work. Thanks!

Attachments:
53EAA19C-9F9E-46FD-B5A7-4682156D0F9B.jpeg
53EAA19C-9F9E-46FD-B5A7-4682156D0F9B.jpeg [ 2.78 MiB | Viewed 1271 times ]
EA457405-ADE2-4CF7-B1C2-E1018CC0211F.jpeg
EA457405-ADE2-4CF7-B1C2-E1018CC0211F.jpeg [ 2.53 MiB | Viewed 1271 times ]
6E9780A5-420C-47EA-BADF-DF10C46F1E7F.jpeg
6E9780A5-420C-47EA-BADF-DF10C46F1E7F.jpeg [ 2.96 MiB | Viewed 1271 times ]

Post subject: Re: Radio Lamp Chassis?
PostPosted: Dec Fri 24, 2021 7:34 pm 

There's always the option of building a tube type chassis that will fit, using the major components salvaged from a junk set, which wouldn't even need to be similar to the original one. It might even be a fun project.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 25, 2021 1:14 am 

Radio Lamp Company model 500 it has 5 tubes. Pictures and Schematic shown on Radiomuseum.org
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/radiolamp_500.html

As Dennis said for sure with this info one could build a radio for the lamp. Tube Lineup is 12A8 12K7 12Q7 35L6 45Z5
John k9uwa

PostPosted: Dec Sat 25, 2021 5:39 am 

Thanks for all the information! It’ll be a fun project building the chassis.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 25, 2021 8:27 pm 

Smith.russ wrote:
Thanks for all the information! It’ll be a fun project building the chassis.

Russ, your lamp was the "Executive desk" model, made especially for use on office desks. I bought a "living room" model that uses the same chassis and I plan on starting it's restoration after Christmas. I can take pictures and measurements for you, if you'd like to build a replica chassis. They are a fairly simple chassis.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 25, 2021 8:36 pm 

If you plan to run the radio for more than 30 minutes at a time, you might consider using a farm radio for the basis instead of an AC/DC model. In the small enclosure, a radio burning 30 watts is going to get hot enough that you probably will not want to touch the lamp base. The original radio had a wire antenna and that will be the easiest to use with the metal enclosure. Many of the battery farm radios like this Motorola, https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/motorola_41b1241_b_1.html, used wire antennas. You could use the power supply design from one of the three way portables with the same tubes and that should get the power down to the 10 watt range. I've converted some farm radios to AC power using capacitive voltage drop for the filaments and solid state rectifiers. The power input was less than 5 watts on those conversions.

I see that Radio Daze has a reproduction dial for your lamp: https://www.radiodaze.com/dials-plastic-or-phenolic-31/

Jay

PostPosted: Dec Sat 25, 2021 9:41 pm 

There are many possibilities for the chassis construction, since it can't be seen anyway and lower heat while maintaining good functionality is an improvement over the original, which does get way too hot for comfort when in use. I am also not thrilled with an AC-DC set being installed in the metal lamp.

My thinking originally was that there is a newer design using 4 miniature tubes and a small power transformer, which was built by RCA in the 50's and uses a 6AK6 audio output stage. This one would be far cooler than the octal 5 tube chassis and it works really well.

One could also build an all octal tube version using 150 ma tubes in series, with only 4 tubes and a solid state rectifier. One could use a 12A6 for the output stage and get the heat way down.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 26, 2021 2:09 am 

I have a 2R52 RCA and it could be repackaged into the lamp. It is rated at 18 watts. The lamp base would get warm but not too hot to touch. I don't know how well the rod antenna would work even if it was at the lowest point in the lamp base. The 2R52 has a transformer for the filaments but it is an autotransformer and there isn't any isolation from the power line.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/rca_2r52.html

Jay

PostPosted: Dec Sun 26, 2021 2:50 am 

That's a good point made by Dennis and Jay. Get a small radio, get it working, then rebuild it onto a round plate to fit in the Radio Lamp. That way you have all the parts--variable cap, coils, audio transformer, volume control, tube sockets. Trying to collect the parts individually will cost significantly more than starting with a complete radio. Small radios like that are ubiquitous and inexpensive.

You might even be able to find a radio with a small enough chassis that it would simply fit into the space, little or no rebuilding necessary... Some of the little battery portables, or one of those GEs with the vertical chassis in the end of the radio:
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/general_el_t_1110a.html

PostPosted: Dec Sun 26, 2021 3:00 am 

JnTX wrote:
I have a 2R52 RCA and it could be repackaged into the lamp. It is rated at 18 watts. The lamp base would get warm but not too hot to touch. I don't know how well the rod antenna would work even if it was at the lowest point in the lamp base. The 2R52 has a transformer for the filaments but it is an autotransformer and there isn't any isolation from the power line.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/rca_2r52.html

Jay

That's the model I was thinking of. It should be possible to replace the rod antenna with a different type of antenna coil so a wire antenna could be used, or even attach a length of wire through a small value coupling cap to the RCA's rod antenna. It shouldn't be too difficult to come up with a fully isolated power transformer to build with. You would only need something a little bit heftier than what was typically found in VTVM's or smaller test equipment.

My aunt had one of those RCA's when they were new and I was always impressed by how well it worked and how good it sounded, particularly after learning of the rather unique design.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 26, 2021 4:38 am 

There were also radios that used 100 mA tubes for less heat, almost the same circuit as an AA5. I have a Sylvania 5T10 that uses 18FX6, 18FY6, 18FW6, 32ET5 and 36AM3, drawing 25 watts. No pilot light, though.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 26, 2021 7:56 pm 

There is a 1930's car radio with a circular chassis, but they are not common either.

I think you would need to hear the radio playing to determine if it will be played for hours. Otherwise, might as well stick with the simplest AA5 design. There is no room for a tuned loop so there will just be the random length wire antenna.

Easier to use an existing small AA5 chassis with two control pots that can fit the base, as was suggested by people who have had the same challenges.

There are hordes of these little Japanese 5 tube radios on ePay at the moment. Get one with a cracked cabinet, no loss if you pull the chassis for your lamp project. Not sure how to search for them because they have dozens of different names. 'Japanese 5 tube radio", maybe. Anyway, they are small as possible.
Might need to cut the chassis in half to squeeze it in. Be careful not to snap the ferrite rod antenna.
Good luck.

Attachments:
DeVille pop.jpg
DeVille pop.jpg [ 532.83 KiB | Viewed 969 times ]
DeVille bk.jpg
DeVille bk.jpg [ 609.65 KiB | Viewed 969 times ]