Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 14, 2019 7:16 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Just found this forum.
PostPosted: May Mon 27, 2019 3:50 am 

Hi all. Just found this forum after doing some googling about a radio I acquired, Thorola Model 57. I almost passed it along to someone else since it works off batteries but decided to hang on to it because of its simplicity. I did radio repair in the military and work on the old AM radios for vehicles in my spare time, which are all solid state. This Thorola has 5 four pin tubes so it's a different for me. Are all the tubes the same in this radio since they are all four pin?

Thanks, Doug

Post subject: Re: Just found this forum.
PostPosted: May Mon 27, 2019 5:44 am 

No, there probably will be different tubes.

Not much info on them. Here's a little bit of docs:

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/reichmann_57.html

PostPosted: May Mon 27, 2019 6:27 am 

Cool, it has doughnut coils! Actually, depending on power connections, you probably have some flexibility on your choice(s) of tubes. The simplest setup would be a 6 volt source and a 45 volt source, and five 01A tubes. If you have another binding post for higher B+, you may be able to use an audio final with greater output like a 112. You'll need a horn speaker or a set of headphones, and a long-wire antenna and a good ground, of course. While you are looking into tubes, you can check your transformers for open primaries and secondaries with an ohmmeter. Check the variable condensers for shorting as well, seems to be an issue with this model. Good luck, and have fun!

PostPosted: May Mon 27, 2019 12:09 pm 

Thanks for the tips Bob. There's not really much to this radio, it really looks like someone could draw out a wiring diagram/schematic just by tracing out the wiring on the bottom side, but just the same I don't want to screw anything up. Most of the wiring is faded but still has metal tags for voltage/battery/and polarity. On the bottom the wiring has a bit more color. The right side tuning knob slips so that'll be the first problem to correct.

PostPosted: May Mon 27, 2019 8:41 pm 

Yes, it may come down to drawing your own schematic, as there doesnt seem to be much on-line...but it should be doable. It looks, from the pics linked above that they used tube sockets rather than just drilled holes in the base plate, so you will probaby find contact designations (P = plate, G = grid, etc.) on the corners of the sockets, making the schematic job a little easier.

I can't tell from the pictures at the Radiomuseum link, but the references I've seen to shorting plates in the variable condensers makes me think they may have pot-metal frames, which are prone to crumbling and warping...bad news, but it can be rather random, and not all are afflicted.

I should disclose, although it may be apparent, that I do not have one of these radios to look at, however I have several other TRF radios of the 20's for generalized reference...I also have a couple of Thorola horn speakers (a full-size one and a "Jr.")... it's interesting how their logo so strongly resembles the Ford script logo! Their pot-metal bases are warping somewhat, so it seems like the Reichmann company was fond of using that material...