Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Tue 19, 2021 12:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Stromberg-Carlson
PostPosted: Mar Thu 12, 2015 10:08 pm 

this is a 1958 Stromberg-Carlson. The cabinet itself is in good condition with only a few scratches here and there.. Doors close good... record player doesn't turn. the front has a little discoloration..Lots of paper work with it and the paperwork says its a Model No. FR-507 on the tag although another place inside on one of the components where the tubes are it says SR- 406 It has the Phonograph, mic, AUX, AM & FM Radio.. It powers up but i have 1 tube that looks to be bad.. I took 1 picture for now just to show its general appearance... Ive collected this one along with a couple others that i plan on posting up and i dont know if they are worth keeping, fixing, or making them firewood.. also not sure if this is one of those rare types that may be worth something ( if there are any rare types even worth good money these days? )

Any Info or help would be greatly appreciated and please don't sugar coat anything.. if its better off as firewood my feelings wont be hurt in the least lol

Attachments:
Strombergcarlson1.jpg
Strombergcarlson1.jpg [ 63.99 KiB | Viewed 2561 times ]

Post subject: Re: Stromberg-Carlson
PostPosted: Mar Thu 12, 2015 11:38 pm 

Anyone looking for a great sounding late 50's set will have an interest in that set. A better picture of the "guts" would determine the value better as with that set, that's where all the value is.

Stromberg made really nice hi-fi gear into the 1960's. Definitely not a junker. Probably can't retire off of it, but it's worth a buck or two.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 13, 2015 1:38 am 

FR-507 is the model number, SR-406 is chassis number (was also sold separately, with metal or wood cabinet) Receiver chassis has push-pull 6L6s, a decent output transformer, RF amplifier stage for AM and FM - well worth the effort to restore.

Check my website for schematics: http://www.Aduiophile.com/MadeInRoch.html

PostPosted: Mar Sat 14, 2015 2:14 am 

Sams photofact 364-14.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 22, 2020 5:03 pm 

I know this thread is old but I just wanted to put in my two cents for anyone else that might see this post. I have one of these but not the exact cabinet. I replaced all the caps and 6L6 tubes. It sounds great but the turntable needs a new idler wheel. I also have this exact console but still waiting for restoring. Someone had painted the cabinet. I plan to strip it this summer and apply new stain. I would not junk this. I don't know what these consoles are worth, I just enjoy them.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 23, 2020 1:09 am 

As I recall, Stromberg Carlson used Garrard changers.

I don't know if Gary at VM Enthusiasts would have any idlers, but you could ask

www.thevoiceofmusic.com

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Dec Thu 10, 2020 5:07 pm 

Sorry for the late response to this. I got an idler at VM Enthusiasts in October for the same model of changer that is in yours for about 28.00. You will need to send your in as he will rebuild yours and send it back to you.

https://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/

Dan

PostPosted: Dec Thu 10, 2020 5:50 pm 

2015 post and only 3 postings. Hope he/she didn't scrap it 5 + years ago.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 10, 2020 6:11 pm 

I have this exact one but somebody painted it an ugly yellow. The dual stand up resistor is bad on one side so I added a 20 watt to replace the bad section and hung it off the power transformer with a stand off. Plays very nice. I have been slowly sanding off the paint so I can refinish it. I've seen several of these lately but too far away for me to go and get.