Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Tue 25, 2019 10:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Using the Phono Input on an Antique Radio
PostPosted: Feb Sat 03, 2018 11:17 pm 

Hello Everyone,

I recently restored my Echophone S-5 radio, which happens to have two phono pickup jacks on the back. Does anyone know the style of connector used in these jacks and how I can go about obtaining them. Both banana plugs and RCA jacks do not work. I am not sure, but I believe that it may used a type of jack called a pin-type jack. The radio is from 1931. Any help would be appreciated.

-Unknown

Post subject: Re: Using the Phono Input on an Antique Radio
PostPosted: Feb Sun 04, 2018 1:29 am 

A photo would help, but the only other common type of female connector is the "tip jack". These were commonly used to terminate headphone cables in the early years of radio but persisted at least to the end of the 1930s on some radios, and continued in test equipment service at least into the 1970s.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 04, 2018 2:13 am 

I looked up your radio model to see the jack. They look awfully close to the size of a banana jack but you already tried that. Since you tried a banana plug I'm assuming these are single conductor jacks. Maybe you'll be able to find some original plugs.

When faced with a situation like this I find a way to make up a custom plug if I can't find originals. Have done this for several pieces of equipment now that have rare/unobtainable plugs. Can give you an example on how to do this if you're interested in trying. It's really not terribly difficult to do for single conductor plugs.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 04, 2018 3:17 am 

I have an Echophone model 60, which appears to use the same jacks, and you got me curious. So I went out to the shed and got my tray of assorted and unmatched plugs, and brought them in the house and started trying them. The tip jacks don't work, too short. Banana plugs are too fat.

I did find a few things that work. The plug in the center is the best fit. It's tip is about 1/16" dia. x 1/2" long. The shoulder just behind the tip is about 1/8" dia. x 3/8" long, and serves to center the plug in the socket.

The plug on the right is also a good fit, although its component parts seem just a little skinnier than the center one. I don't know what either of these connectors is called.

The needle for a ball pump also fit. It doesn't have a shoulder to center it, and it was just a little tight because the needle is slightly larger diameter. But it seemed like it could be pressed into service in a pinch.

Attachments:
phono_plugs.jpg
phono_plugs.jpg [ 42.07 KiB | Viewed 803 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Sun 04, 2018 3:51 am 

Rodney, I got a chuckle seeing the ball inflator needle :D

They are called "Tip Jacks" as Lorenz200w mentions.
They were often used on multimeters such as certain models of Simpson and Triplett.
Radio Shack also used them a lot.

I made this adapter to plug into my 1000Z. It works well.

-Steve

Attachments:
phono-adapter.jpg
phono-adapter.jpg [ 158.84 KiB | Viewed 792 times ]

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!