Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Mon 23, 2020 11:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Bar Radio
PostPosted: Aug Thu 02, 2018 5:09 am 

Does anyone know if Detrola made a commercially available bar radio ? If so can I get a link to a photo ?

Thanks

Griz

Post subject: Re: Bar Radio
PostPosted: Aug Thu 02, 2018 5:41 pm 

Do you mean a radio similar to a Philco Radiobar? Or a radio that was intended for use in a bar or public space (coin-operated)?

This is only a guess, but I doubt that Detrola would have dabbled in either venue- just not enough market volume to make it worth their while. They would likely have left this business to third-party customizers, as Philco did with Radiobar. (Although Philco did end up purchasing the Radiobar company in the late 1930s, after which time only Philco chassis were installed. Prior to that you had a choice of Philco or Zenith innards. I doubt that Radiobar ever used Detrola "works" but it might have been available as a special order).

PostPosted: Aug Fri 03, 2018 4:53 am 

I guess I will have to go get some photos - the ones that were sent to me were rather crapy - but I did make out the Detrola on the dial face - when I get some photos and more detailed info, I will post

PostPosted: Aug Fri 03, 2018 12:46 pm 

To be certain, Radiobar also sold cabinets without radios. Every year interesting examples show up. At the end of the Radiobar run, there seems to be all kinds of options, just to move the cabinets laying around apparently. would love to see a Detrola radiobar though!! Pix please!!

PostPosted: Aug Fri 03, 2018 1:25 pm 

Sounds like an aftermarket job, but it would be interesting to see pictures of it.

PM me for my email address

PostPosted: Aug Wed 15, 2018 6:43 pm 

The owner is curious as to an estimate on value - any inputs would be helpful -- I honestly do not have a clue - Thanks Griz

Here is what I have found out --
Chasis is a model 146
Speaker is a Rola F5B
Glassware is Mr. Bartender Products - silver rimmed glases
The mirrors are not glass but some sort of film

This appears to be a factory made cabinet not a homebrew - no indication of maker however
Attachment:
rsz_1imag0731.jpg
rsz_1imag0731.jpg [ 206.78 KiB | Viewed 2765 times ]
Attachment:
rsz_imag0732.jpg
rsz_imag0732.jpg [ 36.84 KiB | Viewed 2765 times ]
Attachment:
rsz_imag0733.jpg
rsz_imag0733.jpg [ 20.98 KiB | Viewed 2765 times ]
Attachment:
rsz_imag0734.jpg
rsz_imag0734.jpg [ 101.72 KiB | Viewed 2765 times ]
Attachment:
rsz_imag0735.jpg
rsz_imag0735.jpg [ 48.16 KiB | Viewed 2765 times ]

PostPosted: Aug Wed 15, 2018 10:09 pm 

I'm guessing the cabinet is from "Radiobar Company of America" of Los Angeles, California. Philco was their radio of choice to place in their cabinets but I've seen other brand names used also. No reason why they wouldn't or couldn't use some Detrola chassis.

PostPosted: Aug Thu 16, 2018 9:30 am 

Is it piano lacquer black, with a black and silver grill cloth? Original finish?

That's interesting by itself.

PostPosted: Aug Thu 16, 2018 8:51 pm 

I have never seen or heard of a Detrola radio bar, but as others pointed out the company making the cabinets would sell them to anyone. No doubt someone wanted a Detrola chassis instead of the more commonly seen Philcos. That certainly looks original, as in it was built around the time those radio bar cabinets were popular in the late 30's. That chassis is from around 1937, and Detrola only used the chrome escutcheon on a black finished table model. If the speaker is really a Rola F5B, that would have only been used in a table model cabinet, far too small for a console. Leads me to believe someone took apart a table model set and mounted the chassis and speaker in this one.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 17, 2018 12:55 pm 

Quote:
Is it piano lacquer black, with a black and silver grill cloth? Original finish?

yes it is - all of that

PostPosted: Aug Sat 18, 2018 6:20 pm 

Radiobar sold to anyone who wanted to do it. I have owned or recorded a GE, a philco, a Grunow, an RCA, and I have seen others.
The glass broke often so they replaced it with mirror steel. I dont see any of the inside chrome where the nameplate would be but the cabinet is the deco version 525 or something. It came in white, wood, eBony and mix. If the knobs are not wood then it was painted.

Nice looking piece!

:)

PostPosted: Aug Sat 18, 2018 11:13 pm 

Quote:
This is only a guess, but I doubt that Detrola would have dabbled in either venue- just not enough market volume to make it worth their while. They would likely have left this business to third-party customizers, as Philco did with Radiobar. (Although Philco did end up purchasing the Radiobar company in the late 1930s, after which time only Philco chassis were installed. Prior to that you had a choice of Philco or Zenith innards. I doubt that Radiobar ever used Detrola "works" but it might have been available as a special order).

It turns out there is no evidence that Philco purchased Radiobar. In fact, the company lasted well into the fifties selling a variety of items including roller skates. I've got a 1940 model, the last year they made bars.
Keith

PostPosted: Aug Mon 20, 2018 3:56 pm 

This is great info -- thank you all -- the owner is still wondering what he should ask for it -- any estimates ?

PostPosted: Aug Mon 20, 2018 7:01 pm 

Does it have any Radiobar tags on it? There should be one below the mirror, or by the radio knobs. There also does not appear to be any Lights. The Radiobars used tubelet wire pipes and a switch on the back for their lights. Does this one have any of that? I think it may be a low production run of copy Radiobars, or maybe a custom one off unit. I don't think it is an actual Radiobar model. Need to verify that info before putting a number to it.

Thank You for sharing it!!!

PostPosted: Aug Mon 20, 2018 7:04 pm 

grizzly1 wrote:
This is great info -- thank you all -- the owner is still wondering what he should ask for it -- any estimates ?

As it sits the bar could bring $750.00. A friend sold a Philco last year for $700.00 with no glassware. If your bar is 100% original finish them maybe a little more. I cant tell if the glassware is original but that is where the money is. The shot glasses are bringing $75.00 each and it only goes up from there.

JUST the bar "as is" unknown paint originality with no major defects. $750.00 The missing back lid mirror could pull about $100.00 off that.

You really never know though. It is a Detrola which are not around. YOu could get $1000.00 for it because of the brand. If I saw A Halson branded bar I would pay a LOT more than a Philco.

:)

PostPosted: Aug Mon 20, 2018 11:20 pm 

Two things that bug me about that Radiobar. First, there doesn't seem to be any chrome trim going with that black cabinet. Some chrome trim would have been really nice. That makes me wonder if this was an after market custom paint job. Second, the actual bar area doesn't seem as glitzy and fancy as most radio bars that I've seen, even the economy models. No lights, no mirror, kind of minimal. All closed up it just looks like a black cadenza. Not really something to show off or decorate a room with. I'm sorry but that Radiobar just doesn't impress me.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 21, 2018 3:29 am 

No radiobar tags - no id anywhere on the cabinet itself

PostPosted: Aug Tue 21, 2018 12:15 pm 

Then it is most likely NOT a Radiobar, Radio Bar. The glassware is not Radiobar glassware either from what I can tell from the picture. But it is very unique. I'd value it anywhere from $500.00 to $1200.00 depending on the buyer. I don't think the finish is original, but that would have to be evaluated in person. I say clean it up, take some better quality pictures and list it on Ebay. See what you can get for it!!!

Good Luck, and a cool piece :)

PostPosted: Aug Tue 21, 2018 4:24 pm 

With the black paint on the edges of the escutcheon I am saying definite no to original paint. You can even see brush tip marks where they tried hard not to hit it. Tell him to remove the escutcheon. That will tell us the truth

Attachments:
rsz_imag0735.jpg
rsz_imag0735.jpg [ 52.71 KiB | Viewed 2307 times ]

PostPosted: Aug Tue 21, 2018 4:35 pm 

how about some photos using flash and decent focus..lol... those black marks may be paint..or may be black crud tarnish. we need better pix. That being said, it has no radiobar markings and seems like if it is factory "somebody", it is a cheap knockoff....BUT..it is one I would jump all over if local and cheap. I really like it, but I would look for stampings in the wood, inside, bottom, etc. It could be a carpenter's weekend project from 1940... the "film" mirror has me very suspicious.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 22 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page 1, 2  Next