Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Sun 13, 2021 9:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: What a difference 125,412 can make
PostPosted: Nov Fri 09, 2018 3:29 am 

Thank you Bugman, 35Z5, and sergneri. I added your info to my database.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 28, 2018 7:53 pm 

Attachment:
Zenith TO Clasps.png
Zenith TO Clasps.png [ 180.73 KiB | Viewed 733 times ]

While I was cleaning the case on the later ZTO, I noticed that the font on the clasp was different from my original. Above are the examples ...

PostPosted: Dec Fri 28, 2018 10:59 pm 

I think that the top half of the latch on the right example was likely replaced sometime in the past. The 8G005 and G500 used the latch with the cursive "zenith" script on the top half only, which was changed on the H500 to the block lettering "zenith" on the top and "trans-oceanic" on the bottom. Also, the weathering of the top and bottom does not quite match on that example, so the top part of the latch was probably replaced with that from a later radio because it got broken.

Caretaker of Portable Tube Radios

PostPosted: Dec Fri 28, 2018 11:05 pm 

Hcompton79 wrote:
I think that the top half of the latch on the right example was likely replaced sometime in the past. The 8G005 and G500 used the latch with the cursive "zenith" script on the top half only, which was changed on the H500 to the block lettering "zenith" on the top and "trans-oceanic" on the bottom. Also, the weathering of the top and bottom does not quite match on that example, so the top part of the latch was probably replaced with that from a later radio because it got broken.

Well, I was picking over the better components of the two to make up a single unit. I decided to use the older unit whip as it is in much better shape. No reason not to do the same with the cursive clasp, I think it works better than the other mechanically. Also, I ran the brass on the older unit (right side) through a tumble with crushed walnut shells and simply buffed up the left side with a soft brush.
I tried to recover the older case with some of the vinyl/tolex and had to rebuild a few wooden parts on the battery case. The new radio is in the original stag, looks its age, but is presentable, so I chose to go with that vs the newer tolex.
Cheers,
John

PostPosted: Dec Sat 29, 2018 11:41 pm 

I took the plastic dial cover from the older TO to use in the newer radio, which was MIA. On the new radio, to install, I removed the brass plate via the twist tabs, removed the shards of the old plastic and put in the new one. It fits nicely and I think I have the right side out, but the spacing for the knobs is off enough to bind the knob and make tuning a chore. I can't find the sweet spot where both knobs clear cleanly. I won't tamper with the plastic as I'm sure it won't take much abuse. Just another small difference between these two to make you wonder.
Any advice appreciated, I was hoping to finish it up today but you know how that goes ...
Edit: Sweet spot, not sweat spot - I know.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 30, 2018 2:39 am 

Actually, I would attribute that more to shrinkage of early plastics more so than production differences. Notice that the plastic has also shrunk away from the brass bezel, leaving a noticeable gap.

Mark Palmquist makes new reproductions, I have one on my 8G005 and it looks very nice. It would also resolve the issue of binding knobs.
https://dialcover.com/

Caretaker of Portable Tube Radios

PostPosted: Dec Sun 30, 2018 4:34 am 

You are most likely right, and I understand sagging, wrinkling, and warping from age, believe me! His example is also clear, this old one has a nice yellow tinge, almost like aviator glasses.
Looks like "done" will have to wait for a few weeks, thanks for the tip!
Cheers and Happy New Year,
John

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 27 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page Previous  1, 2