Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Sat 23, 2021 12:45 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Philips tube radio
PostPosted: Nov Thu 23, 2006 7:33 pm 

Just picked up a B3X96A..late fifties Philips radio...4 bands..AM/3 sw bands...compact ,industrial look..mini tuning eye.I knew it played very well but was still going to replace every wax paper capacitor I could find after I ditched the main E's...I was surprised to find no wax paper caps..all mica or some sort of ceramic caps all through the radio.All checked out A-OK..this point to point chassis was neat and logical ,I put it through the paces...shortwave receiver it really is.For ten dollars I have a very homely set...that outperforms everything I have ,T.O.'s included on SW.Does Philips have a reputation for first class radios ?I was more than surprised...humbled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Thu 23, 2006 8:13 pm 

In fact Philips had some of the best radios I have ever seen, the wiring is neat and the components are very reliable even after so many years. I have several models and some of them have black beauties that look like mica caps, so be aware those may need to be changed. Change at least the electrolitics if you intend to use it daily.

One thing that amazes me about Philips radios is their sound. It is of a very good quality and nice tone.

Good luck!

Mario

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Thu 23, 2006 9:04 pm 

Where were the '50's Phillips made ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Fri 24, 2006 2:04 am 

Philips was (and still is) based in the Netherlands, and it produced many radios there. However, they had plants in many countries all over the world, so yours could potentially have come from a variety of places, depending on model.

Here you can see a list of Philips-affiliated companies in 26 different countries: http://www.radiomuseum.org/l/a-philips.html

Halfway down this page you can see a list of 16 countries described as countries in which Philips did manufacturing: http://www.radiomuseum.org/dsp_herstell ... any_id=862

According to the article, starting in 1946, the second letter of the model number tells the country of manufacture, according to the table shown (A = Austria, W = USA, X = Holland, etc.).

Some interesting tidbits from that article -- Philips first started using its own name in the U.S. in 1988. Prior to that it used Philco, Sylvania, and Magnavox as brand names. [All of these were, of course, independent American companies during their haydays -- and Philips bought the brands in the 70s and 80s.]

Another tidbit from the article: Philips was at one time the largest radio manufacturer in the world. In 1935 it had 30,000 employees worldwide. By 1934, Philips had sold 100 million radio tubes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Fri 24, 2006 2:36 am 

Some of my best radios, tube and transistor, are Philips. I also have a couple of "Norelco" radios. I assume that this was the brand Philips used to market their radios in the US prior to 1988, correct?

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Fri 24, 2006 4:58 am 

Dave Doughty wrote:
Some of my best radios, tube and transistor, are Philips. I also have a couple of "Norelco" radios. I assume that this was the brand Philips used to market their radios in the US prior to 1988, correct?

Dave

Norelco was a very good Philips speaker. They go for many $$$s on eBay. I still have about a half dozen NOS 8" dual-cone speakers that we got from Olson Electronics in the 60s. They sure sound great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Fri 24, 2006 5:49 am 

Dave Doughty wrote:
I also have a couple of "Norelco" radios. I assume that this was the brand Philips used to market their radios in the US prior to 1988, correct?Dave

Yes, that's basically correct -- Norelco was a brand used by North American Philips for lots of products. They still use it today on a few products (electric shavers), although they seem to be phasing it out.

Hey Don, I also used to have a Norelco 8-inch duo-cone speaker that I bought in the 1970s. I think I got mine from Burstein-Applebee or Poly-Paks or Edlie's (places I used to get stuff from back then).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Fri 24, 2006 6:54 am 

HI Sperrkreis,

The reason, why you have in this set (3x SW) high quality
caps inside, is that you own an export set.
These kind of sets were build for Africa, Asia, South-America and
Arabia.
The next service-station is far away, and they have to deal
with the temperature and moist in these countries.
This is the reason, why export radios have better and more
expensive capacitors inside.
Happy week-end,
Thorsten

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Fri 24, 2006 7:02 am 

I have payed 8.50€ including postage for this kitchen radio ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Fri 24, 2006 11:25 am 

MM wrote:
I have payed 8.50€ including postage for this kitchen radio ;)

Hmmmm.............A Philetta. Could that be the 1st born daughter of a one night stand between Philco and Phillips ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Fri 24, 2006 1:37 pm 

Tom Albrecht wrote:
Hey Don, I also used to have a Norelco 8-inch duo-cone speaker that I bought in the 1970s. I think I got mine from Burstein-Applebee or Poly-Paks or Edlie's (places I used to get stuff from back then).

Ahh the days!! Wouldn't it be neat to turn back time and visit those BA catalogs, the original Radio Shack (weren't they in Mass?) Allied Radio, EICO, Oh yeah, Dyna-Kits, Heathkits, I would have so much fun building point-to-point kits again. I have two versions of the Norelco 8". One is cadmium plated with an exposed magnet and the other has a gray hammer tone finish with a round Bakelite cover over the magnet. Still in the original box.

I know I have asked again but has anyone a diagram/plan for building the cabinet that they made for the 8" Norelco vintage about 1958? It had the speaker near the top of the cabinet off to one side and the baffle sorta zigzagged back and forth and exited the side of the cabinet at the bottom. I would love to build one. They sounded incredible at the time.

Post subject: Re: Philips tube radio
PostPosted: Dec Fri 28, 2018 9:25 pm 

I bought one of these Norelco (made by Philips of Holland) radios several years back off the Goodwill site for about $40.00. They just had another one (exactly like the one I won several years back) in great shape that sold last night (12-27-2018) on their Auction site I started to bid on, but didn't because I already have one. It went for about $60.00 including shipping. I really wanted it, but one is enough and I didn't want to use this one for a parts radio as it appeared to be in perfect shape and played well according to the write-up on the Auction site.

I was fortunate the radio I had purchased several years back was also in exceptional shape and had been well taken care of over the years. The same care had apparently been given the Norelco that sold last night. The information listed on the radio is Norelco Model B3X08A/54 Radio. It really out performs just about every radio I own (very good even on the Shortwave Bands) and continues to have exceptional sound and tonal quality for a radio its' size.

The "Cat's Eye" as the Europeans call the "Magic Green Eye" seems to have been much more popular for a longer period of time than was the case with the "Magic Green Eye" tubes in American made radios. They seemed to be a staple in many of the better made European radios of the 50's and 60's.

The dual station dial pointers were actually stuck and both moved at the same time when I first got the radio. After playing the radio for a while, and then working each dial pointer gently back and forth, they both began to work separately as they should on the stations dials, one for the 2 shortwave bands and FM dial, and the very bottom station dial pointer for the AM dial only.

I play it regularly and it is a great performer. I can't say enough about the quality of this radio, as much as I love my Zenith's and all of my American and Canadian radios, this Norelco (who also made the electric shavers) has proven to be one of the best radios I have ever owned both sound wise and the inside electronics. I just hope nothing ever goes wrong with it, as I don't know anyone who can work on these expertly and quality made radios.

The push buttons are a bit fragile, and being plastic, I am careful in pushing them as they could break (due to age also) if not handled properly. The two different station dial pointers was a great idea and mine now work well since the radio is being used again. It appears this radio sat in a dry and clean closet for many years, or it was simply not used much and well taken care of by its' prior owner's.

Attachments:
51766592013350rm-1.jpg
51766592013350rm-1.jpg [ 96.11 KiB | Viewed 2245 times ]
36955982013350rm.jpg
36955982013350rm.jpg [ 107.97 KiB | Viewed 2245 times ]
67126962013351rm.jpg
67126962013351rm.jpg [ 114.81 KiB | Viewed 2245 times ]
62147152013351rm.jpg
62147152013351rm.jpg [ 143.38 KiB | Viewed 2245 times ]
99669582013351rm.jpg
99669582013351rm.jpg [ 77.89 KiB | Viewed 2245 times ]

PostPosted: Dec Fri 28, 2018 10:33 pm 

Here is the (Model) code breaker for Philips.
viewtopic.php?p=2872466#p2872466

Greg.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 29, 2018 1:22 am 

I have one, it was one of my first "euro" sets. I had problems with the switching mechanism, I think it was

finding a spring with the right length and tension. It is working fine now !

I also wondered about the reason for the cutouts on the upper right, and now see they are for the long wire :D

PostPosted: Dec Sat 29, 2018 1:41 am 

In the 1930s Philco successfully sued Philips over trademark infringement (right or wrong, Philco felt that "Philips" was confusingly close to its product name, and a judge apparently agreed), with the result that Philips agreed to cease marketing radios in the USA under their own name. Consequently the "Norelco" brand was concocted to allow Philips to legally retail its products here.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 29, 2018 2:39 am 

Philco stretched that Lawsuit! Philco sounds or looks like Philips? That is a joke and the Judge making that decision was obviously paid off. Glad to know that is how the name Norelco came about.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 29, 2018 2:49 am 

In 1943 Philco the plaintiff, filed its complaint to restrain the Phillips Manufacturing Company from using the word "Phill-Co"
https://www.leagle.com/decision/1943796133f2d6631581

Greg.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 29, 2018 7:12 am 

The Philips company survived anyway. They maintained a rep for quality, and sold their products worldwide.
They covered the cheap plastic market as well.
I have a mid-50s plastic Philips AA5 made in Canada with printed circuit board and a ferrite rod antenna. It is neither better nor worse than a similar Philco.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 29, 2018 11:31 pm 

The only problem I can see with the better European and in this case Philips or Norelco radios is that the higher end ones are so well and intricately made, I can't find anybody (or certainly few people in the States) willing to work on them due to their complexity, difficulty in finding parts including dual Dial strings and so forth. I see on Ebay European sellers (primarily from Germany) that sell the restored high-end Grundig, Saba, Siemans, Radione-an Austrian made radio similar to a Grundig and all the other European brands completely restored. And they do sell and generally bring good prices.

From what I can see and read from the write-up and Feedback, these European sellers are doing a great job in their restorations and probably sell most of their restorations to US and Japanese buyers. A friend of mine has a very large high-end Grundig that he uses daily in his workshop. It is the Opus model, anyway it is huge. That radio has been working well for years and continues to do so with great sound and tonal quality, not to forget its' great reception.
These European radios will probably work when restored for many more years if done properly, but if they need work it would be difficult to find someone in the States who can work on them or even if they know how don't particularly want to take on the job. And sending it back to Germany would be out of the question for most people.

I have read that with Shortwave fading out around the World and even many European countries not having even AM or FM Station any longer, the only future use for these great radios will be as an amplifier for a personal transmitter, Smartphone or some similar device. Most of them certainly make for stand-out pieces of furniture in a room with their sleek design and high gloss wooden cabinets!

Last edited by ZenithStratosphere on Dec Mon 31, 2018 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 30, 2018 12:19 am 

"Opus" was a Telefunken series of models, not Grundig.

I've restored scores of these radios, including many automatic Sabas. They are complex radios, but are not particularly difficult to service. Ohm's Law is the same worldwide. Even the dial cord re-stringing is not that problematic. I think that parts availability is a major factor as to why professional shops turn them away: transformers, cabinet trim, and mechanical subassemblies generally aren't available from any source other than junked sets, and most pros hate to take on gear that has an open-ended completion date. "Yes, I can have this back to you in ten days- or maybe five years, if I run into a situation where I need to wait for a junked chassis to turn up on eBay".

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 23 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page 1, 2  Next