Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Tue 19, 2019 9:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Zenith 12-s-232 Walton radio
PostPosted: Jan Thu 10, 2019 10:39 pm 

egg wrote:
That's funny.

:) Greg.

That is hilarious! It looks like my house on a regular basis!!! :)

PostPosted: Jan Thu 10, 2019 11:08 pm 

If you pay someone to restore the cabinet, and someone else to do the chassis, I doubt there is going to be any money to be made vs just selling it as-is. If you can clean up the cabinet and chassis, you will be better off when you sell it. If you need any advise on cleaning the cabinet or chassis, just ask here.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 10, 2019 11:58 pm 

I, and 3 of my siblings were part of a similar event in the early 1950s. Kids are kids. Fortunately for my parents, it took place outside, but the paint was enamel which made cleaning us up a problem. There were pictures, which have since been destroyed.

I have several shutter dial Zeniths, including a Walton that was restored and refinished when I found it. I paid $200 for it and still feel guilty. Given the condition of yours and the fact it deserves a professional restoration, it is unlikely you could make as much paying others to restore it than you can by selling it as-is. If it weren't for having too many other projects already in motion, I would gladly pay over $500 for that radio since I have a spare rebuilt chassis of the same model and one of my other hobbies is woodworking and restoration of much older antiques.

I hope you don't part it out, but allow someone with an interest in restoring it or having it restored the chance to sort it out. Selling it here or on an auction site as-is will likely give you the highest return, so you can buy some more paint. The last I bought was $55/gallon, and you obviously need it.

John

PostPosted: Jan Fri 11, 2019 12:39 am 

Joezenithman wrote:
You can look under cabinet restoration on this forum and see Fred and send him a note like this or I will PM you his address.

I do not think a matching serial number is going to make any difference on this radio. The model number is the main number on the chassis and the cabinet. Zenith used a probably rubber stamp with ink to put the model number on the chassis and cabinet (12S232) and has a metal plate with a serial number on it riveted to the chassis, and there is a small, often missed, paper tag on the back of that. So the only number on the chassis of importance is the ink stamp which will come off if you re-paint the chassis. And the same number in stamped on the cabinet. I may be wrong, but I think few buyers are going to be too concerned about the ink stamp number matching on chassis and cabinet.

And if you restore that chassis and it has to be stripped, sanded and painted it is going to be an expensive chassis restoration.

There is a paper label glued to the bottom of the chassis that indicates which model it is (e.g 7S232 vs 9S232). The model number is in the corner, and is often partly torn off. The other way to tell is from the wattage number on the label (higher for the 12S vs the 9S for example, though I don't recall the exact numbers offhand). There is also a small rectangular paper tag stapled to the bottom that has the serial number of the chassis. It's nice if it's there and it matches, but it's not that big a deal as they are often missing. (I'm working on a 12S232 whose cabinet had been badly restored at some point. The cabinet stamp on the back is gone as is the stapled chassis serial number label, but you can tell that it was originally a 12S cabinet from the wattage number on the glued label on the bottom, even though the corner with "12S232" is worn off.) This stuff is a bigger deal with the 9S232 because its 49-117 speaker was used on a bunch of different Zenith radios, so it's not hard to cobble together a 9S Frankenwalton by getting the cabinet from a 7J farm set, a 49-117 speaker from some other Zenith tombstone, and a chassis from a 9S262 console. A 9S232 with all the right stamps and labels usually sells for premium compared to one without them, because if they're missing the assumption is that it's a Frankenradio. OTOH, the 12S232's 49-183 speaker (with its distinctive round field coil cover) was only used on that radio. If it's there, you can be pretty sure that the rest of the radio came from a 12S232, so collectors don't care as much about the stamps and labels. That being said, it's very nice to have a chassis with the 12S232 stamp. I'd probably opt for trying to clean up the existing chassis with the stamp as much as possible, and replace the rusted and corroded parts with those from a donor chassis. I think that would be worth more to a collector than a shiny chassis with "12S262" or some other model stamped on it. Occasionally Zenith simply forgot to put a stamp on the chassis. If you were going to replace the original chassis outright, one with no stamp would probably be preferable to one with the wrong one.

Bob

PostPosted: Jan Sun 27, 2019 10:00 pm 

Here is stickers from bottom of it.

Attachments:
243F5D8F-2BC0-4C8E-B6B9-A81AEB34EFA2.jpeg
243F5D8F-2BC0-4C8E-B6B9-A81AEB34EFA2.jpeg [ 61.45 KiB | Viewed 425 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Sun 27, 2019 10:49 pm 

It looks like you have the correct label for a 12-S-232 Walton. For comparison, here is a picture of my 12-S-232 label:

GL,

Terry

PostPosted: Jan Mon 28, 2019 5:03 am 

Yup. Definitely the correct 12S232 tags, and you can see that the serial number on the tag matches the one on the chassis.

Bob

PostPosted: Jan Wed 30, 2019 3:56 am 

That one is going to cost you either a lot of money or a lot of time, or both. With some patience you could find a nice one for less than what yours would sell for plus restoration costs. If you like the Walton radio a good 7s model might be had for around what yours is worth.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 31, 2019 5:42 am 

He's decided to sell it.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 7726725698

PostPosted: Jan Thu 31, 2019 9:15 am 

What a mess ! even I wouldn't bother and I have done some real crazy ones. What a shame someone didn't see its worth and put it somewhere warm and dry.

Gary

PostPosted: Jan Thu 31, 2019 4:39 pm 

You have a diamond in the ruff, worth a grand plus. :)

PostPosted: Jan Thu 31, 2019 6:17 pm 

After looking at that I think a grand is a tad high. You really have to pretty much write off the chassis, the cabinet needs a major refinishing if there is no unobserved damage and you have to hope the speaker field is ok and maybe a re-coning of the speaker.

I would top it out at $600 to 650. That would be my offer and then probably $60 or more shipping. But then we all look at things differently. I sure there are some that wouldn't pay what I think it's worth!

PostPosted: Jan Thu 31, 2019 8:33 pm 

Indiana Radios wrote:

No asking price. Look like he's just fishing for offers :roll:

PostPosted: Feb Sat 09, 2019 1:14 pm 

I made an offer to either restore the chassis and cabinet at a fair price or sell it after restoration and divide the sale price in his favor. I also offered to purchase it outright, the last I spoke with Wes he was still undecided. It is complete so no problem restoring it. I use the Zenith 12S267 of Tommy Kidd as a reference, I posted its resurrection here on the forum.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 13, 2019 8:26 pm 

Hey Larry! I had posted that marketplace/facebook post before I was able to find this AntiqueRadio Forum, so I haven't made any decisions on it, yet. I left the post up, but right now have been working on restoring a house that needs a lot or repairs. I plan to get the house finished by March 1st, so hopefully right after that I'll be able to test the Speaker and then decide what I want to do with it. I have needed to wait for a few more weeks before I can get around to doing something with it.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 35 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page Previous  1, 2