Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Tue 26, 2019 4:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Working espey radio and phonograph: looking for advice
PostPosted: Feb Sun 10, 2019 5:46 pm 

Hi,

I have a 3 piece console in fantastic condition including a working espey radio and phonograph.

I’d like to understand the value better, where to find interested buyers, and any and all other information would be greatly appreciated.

I appreciate your help. Thank you!!

Attachments:
A0DFCEA1-19C1-478F-9A01-60B936AAEBD1.jpeg
A0DFCEA1-19C1-478F-9A01-60B936AAEBD1.jpeg [ 32.99 KiB | Viewed 226 times ]
DE551E22-7B58-4A5A-8EBB-E02CA188E91D.jpeg
DE551E22-7B58-4A5A-8EBB-E02CA188E91D.jpeg [ 38.56 KiB | Viewed 226 times ]

Post subject: Re: Working espey radio and phonograph: looking for advice
PostPosted: Feb Mon 11, 2019 12:08 am 

I have that Espey receiver restored and gathering dust. I suspect that what you have is not very desirable. You'd have to find someone who wants it. Ebay would be a hassle to ship. CL maybe. $150 if that special person came along.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 11, 2019 2:05 am 

To expensive to ship so you'd be limited to selling it locally only and that seriously limits your chances of selling it for what you'd probably like to get for it. My advise is to sell it either through Facebook marketplace, Craigslist, or through a local auction company. Mono am/fm/phono combos from the late 40 to early 50s tend to be a hard sell. $100 to $150 seems to be the upper range in which most brands sell for. Keep in mind, unless everything works perfectly, whoever buys it but can't do the repairs themselves will most likely look at at least $100 in repairs in either the phonograph and/or the radio and there's not very many TV/radio repairmen who work on such old electronics anymore. You'd most likely have to find a collector to do that.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 11, 2019 2:36 am 

I really hate to say this but the parts are worth more than the whole. The cabinet while looks nice it's radio and phonograph are just plane Jane. Can use cabinet for modern day electronics such as solid state AM/FM power amplifier. A cool belt driven phonograph with stereo cartridge. Storage of records and CD's with player. For the old radio and phonograph can be parted out. Transformers can bring money to fit some other vintage radio/amplifier. Audio output transformer $5.00. Coils and IF transformers $3.00 each. Knobs 1.50 each. Original speaker $15.00. Tubes around $2.00 or so, depending if some might be more rare. Phonograph as a whole worth not much. Cartridge if good with needle eh, 12.00 bucks. Motor another $10.00 bucks. It's better off to sell parts to someone that would need them more than the whole thing.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 11, 2019 3:52 pm 

AFIK Espey sold only the chassis for custom built-ins or cabinets (read home made or recycled). Allied radio sold some Espy products under their Knight brand. The original buyer might have used a Jensen or Electro-Voice speaker which would be desirable separately. As an intact working unit, $50 on a very good day, $20-$0 on a not so good day.