Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Sat 23, 2019 2:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Here's one you don't see often: vintage chinese Panda ra
PostPosted: Feb Wed 13, 2019 2:45 am 

Allen G wrote:
Does it have variable voltage taps? They may have hoped to export them to some English speaking country at some point, otherwise why English markings on the dial?

Possibly for export to Hong Kong?

PM me for my email address

PostPosted: Feb Wed 13, 2019 2:48 am 

Neat radio! I love the fish shaped eye tube. It is interesting that it has a Euro type design and that it has English markings. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 13, 2019 4:15 am 

bobwilson1977 wrote:
I seriously doubt this was ever made for export- especially to the US: we had a trade embargo against them that wasn't lifted for decades after this was produced. Given that everything is in Chinese inside and out also is a strong indicator it was for the domestic Chinese market.

Not for export to the US, maybe, but quite possibly elsewhere. The embargo wasn't world-wide, and many countries lifted theirs almost immediately after the UN sanctions were removed in 1953-4.

I've been told by (unfortunately, now-departed) Indian acquaintances that Chinese-made radios were common at the lower end of the market there - at least until the Sino-Indian war in the early 60's - and I've been told by others they were also fairly common in HK & Macau. All the mainland chinese domestic radios I've seen have been labelled in Simplified Chinese (with English numbers) so, given that the dial labels on yours are in both (Traditional? Can't quite tell from the pics, but it looks like it…) Chinese and English, I wonder if it wasn't originally made for the HK market or similar?

(edited to add "lifted" [their embargoes])

PostPosted: Feb Fri 15, 2019 2:20 pm 

Hello Bob

Have you noticed, that in you Panda sits an output tube EL84 (from Siemens)?

If i see correctly, there should be a 6P1 (China) - a tube compareable to 6AQ5 but not to EL84/6BQ5.

Also a side note to European radio design: not all radios were that uniform as you guess - have a look at some French or British radios... Just two examples:

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/snr_excelsior_55_ez80.html

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/murphy_a272ca_272.html

Kind regards, Walter

PostPosted: Feb Sat 16, 2019 1:58 am 

Thanks, Walter, and you are correct about Euro design. How about the Sonora 301? 8)

Attachment:
Sonora 301 side.jpg
Sonora 301 side.jpg [ 68.93 KiB | Viewed 107 times ]

Or this one, Vef Super Luxus? Do you know where I can get one?

Attachment:
VefSuperLuxus.jpg
VefSuperLuxus.jpg [ 50.23 KiB | Viewed 107 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Sun 17, 2019 12:21 pm 

Hello John (?)

Difficult to get a VEF Geographic - specially that model. RM.org mentions, that only approx. 50 were made and only 4 are known to have "survived" to our days.

But if you do a search for "Geographic", you will find, that Ingelen was the company that invented that special dial. VEF (LV) and Capello (P) were companies that had a license to also build radios with that dial.

All these Geographic radios are sought after and therefore expensive - if once offered. And shipping one should be excluded because of the fragility of the dial built up with dozens of light leading glass rods. One picture added to this model https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/ingelen_cosmos_us437w.html is showing that ...

Attachment:
US837WG.jpg
US837WG.jpg [ 64.47 KiB | Viewed 89 times ]

The more expensive early models, as the one pictured, had neon indicators, later ones eye tubes. Mainly the radios were simple 6 circuit constructions...

Kind regards, Walter

PostPosted: Feb Tue 19, 2019 5:02 pm 

Thanks for telling me that VEF also made such radios, as I will look for them when in Europe. I have not yet been to Latvia, so will go next time we are in Europe.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 27 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page Previous  1, 2