Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Thu 21, 2019 6:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Refurbish Complete on Setchell Carlson "Jet"
PostPosted: Feb Fri 15, 2019 6:22 pm 

I bought my AM/FM "Jet" a few months back. It is SN 511A587. Seller described chassis as having been restored. I found it was only partially restored. Only one of the four electrolytic capacitors had been replaced and there were still three paper/wax capacitors present. I replaced all those. Found a few resistors out of tolerance and replaced those. It plays well except for AM in the 600-700 range. Sounds like it might be a tuning capacitor issue. The original grill cloth had a large indentation and tear and a couple smaller damaged areas. I considered trying to get it repaired but opted to replace it. The left front foot was much darker than the right and was probably a replacement. I opted to paint both feet gloss black.

Larry

Attachments:
Setchell Carlson Jet Radio sm Feb 2019.jpg
Setchell Carlson Jet Radio sm Feb 2019.jpg [ 186.15 KiB | Viewed 779 times ]

Post subject: Re: Refurbish Complete on Setchell Carlson "Jet"
PostPosted: Feb Fri 15, 2019 10:17 pm 

Looks great! The replacement grill cloth looks very good as does the cabinet. I know you are enjoying it. They have a huge speaker with very good sound and tonal quality. Mine is complete, but I was never able to get the exact knobs from any of the sources listed. I do have replacements that are very similar, but still not the original knobs. Adding an image of an actual Jet airplane was a nice touch!

I had that same AM issue with mine, and it was fixed by the information provided from another member. I assumed it to be the infamous "motor-boating" problem, which is what they felt it to be and when repaired, I assumed that to have been the issue, as the radio now plays the full AM Band.
The repair information you may just need is located in a different section of ARF. Electrical/Mechanical Repair and Restoration

Glad you got the FM working. I only have an AM model, but I can play FM through my AM transmitter from a Sony Walkman. I will be waiting for that next updated video on Youtube. Thanks for doing it.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 15, 2019 11:25 pm 

Thanks! I'll research that repair. The new video is at https://youtu.be/5zwljHH7S_0.

Larry

PostPosted: Feb Fri 15, 2019 11:35 pm 

Very nice. Love that iconic cabinet design.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 16, 2019 2:40 am 

Here is an interesting video made by the State of Minnesota (Bart Setchell was a native Minnesotan) regarding companies and people who once helped to enlarge the electronic industry in the United States and specifically those in the State of Minnesota.

If you look closely (at around 4:50 minutes into the video), you can see one of the "Jet" radios in a black and white photograph. Otherwise the video deals with Bart Setchell's life and the history of Setchell Carlson Inc., Bart Setchell and his associates at Setchell Carlson, Inc..

The "in-house" cabinetry division for Setchell Carlson, Inc. was known as Wright-Zimmerman, located at their new and later (2) plants in New Brighton, Minnesota. The original Setchell Carlson plant had been located in St. Paul, Minnesota and later moved to New Brighton, Minnesota. They also made speaker's and transformer's. The speaker in the "Jet" radios were probably made here by Wright-Zimmerman.

The wood cabinet design of the "Jet" radio probably was made and designed by employees of this wood fabrication cabinetry division (Wright-Zimmerman) who made the cabinets (at the time for primarily television sets and possibly the "Jet" radio) located at the New Brighton, Minnesota plants working in conjunction with Setchell-Carlson Inc.

https://vimeo.com/80422595

Last edited by ZenithStratosphere on Feb Sun 17, 2019 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 16, 2019 7:16 am 

Nice looking radio....I used to be a Crew Chief on those jets....the good ol' F-111's at RAF Upper Heyford and Cannon AFB NM.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 16, 2019 7:39 am 

I bought up the Clint Blais repro dial biz back in 2003, he had made those faceplates for these. All the faceplates are gone now. They were real nice repros, I think he had 25 of them made.
Mark Oppat

PostPosted: Feb Sat 16, 2019 9:18 am 

Radio Daze now has a huge selection of various reproductions available for vintage radios including both the inner and outer dial for the Setchell Carlson "The Jet" radio to name just one radio. The Setchell Carlson I have needed a new Face Plate and also a new inner station dial plate and they reproduced both in exacting detail. They also have reproduction dials for Sparton, Crosley and just about any radio one may have. Various vendors have an amazing amount of items needed for vintage radios on some Internet site. VM is another good source for record players and needed parts such as idler wheels and needles.

Zenith reproduction parts are probably more available than just about any other brand from many different sources on the Internet, having about everything needed and available from escutcheons, knobs to even the leather handles for the early Zenith Clipper portable radios made just prior to the Trans-Oceanic radios. :D

Last edited by ZenithStratosphere on Feb Sat 16, 2019 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 16, 2019 9:29 am 

2003. Twenty-five repro dials.

I found my Jet in 2013, and I've been trying to keep track of serial numbers since then. I've gathered up 26 radios to date, most of them with serial#s.

But if 25 dials have been sold, there are quite a few radios out there that I don't have on my list.

-Rodney

PostPosted: Feb Sat 16, 2019 3:42 pm 

mjohansson2 wrote:
Nice looking radio....I used to be a Crew Chief on those jets....the good ol' F-111's at RAF Upper Heyford and Cannon AFB NM.

Thanks! I flew the D model at Cannon. Thanks for keeping the Varks flying! You should add a post to the veterans' topic in Radio Clubhouse at http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=354247

PostPosted: Feb Sat 16, 2019 10:17 pm 

I wonder how many Radio Daze has sold? That number could provide some interesting information.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 17, 2019 3:10 am 

I bought a Radio Daze outer dial for mine. I'm quite satisfied with it.

Are there any Jet owners willing to fabricate a set of feet for me? Or make a tracing of the feet? Mine are missing. The tale I got told from the seller was that the radio went in a bookshelf & the radio was too tall to fit with the feet attached, so they were removed & got separated from the radio.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 17, 2019 3:27 am 

One of the two "Jet" radios (both AM only) I have was missing one of the front feet sections when I got it. Luckily, the technician was also good in wood-working and made me another one in exacting detail from the other one that was on that radio and stained it to match. In fact he was better in wood working than radio repair which can oftentimes be the case!

I still had problems with the radio (motor-boating issues on the one end of the AM Band (around 600) which were eventually worked out) when I got it back, but the missing foot was luckily very well made and I doubt anyone would know the difference. I think mine probably just fell off, as they appear to be just glued on.

There are several pictures of mine when I first got it on I think page 1 of the blog on "How Many Members own a Setchell Carlson Jet" and you can see close-ups of the missing foot and along with the cracked Dial and Station numbering sections which I got replaced from Radio Daze. The knobs were wrong, and although I have replaced them, they are not exactly like the original one's should really look. I have never really found the correct knobs for my radio.

I don't know if that can help you or not. I wouldn't know how to make a copy for you, but if nothing else turns up will try and see what I can do to get you some type of a copy to work from.

Last edited by ZenithStratosphere on Feb Sun 17, 2019 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 17, 2019 5:06 am 

Nice restoration!

PostPosted: Feb Sun 17, 2019 3:03 pm 

Thanks for all the nice comments and the discussion. The video about Bart Setchell was interesting.

Mrlee - I'm not a wood worker; but, I can do a tracing. If you'll PM me with your email address, I'll send you that.

Larry

PostPosted: Feb Sun 17, 2019 10:58 pm 

That video on Barton T. (Bart) Setchell is interesting. It gives out a good deal of information that could relate to the manufacture of the "Jet" radios. As it lists the Wright-Zimmerman group working in conjunction with Setchell Carlson, Inc., that group it also states in addition to the wood working section made transformers and speakers.

I can see the wooden television cabinets in production from the photographs and also see some of the speakers, but haven't been able to spot a "Jet" radio. Some of the speaker's sitting on a table do look like the one's in "Jet" radios. The photographs were primarily of Setchell Carlson television cabinets, but as the "Jet" was made in 1949 into the 1950's, it would have been the correct time period Wright Zimmerman was working in conjunction with Setchell Carlson Inc. at their 2 wood fabrication plants in New Brighton, Minn.

The fabricated wooden cabinet of the "Jet" radio is fragile and seems to always have the same weak spots where damage has occurred in the past. It took a talented cabinetry person to make all those rounded sections from relatively thin wood which is subject to damage if not handled carefully. I have noticed this on the two radios I have and also many of those I have seen on the Internet. If one is dropped or somehow damaged, it seems to always be in the same places on the cabinet.

I understand many of these "Jet" radios have been severely damaged during shipment, even if a good packing job was done prior to shipment.

The Setchell Carlson image (SC with an atomic image around it on a blue background) as shown when the video begins was used to help market the products. I have seen on Ebay a pack of playing cards with this logo on it from Setchell Carlson which were probably given out for promotional purposes.

There is one pack of Setchell Carlson playing cards now on Ebay if anyone is interested. It is listed at a Buy-It-Now for $14.95 plus shipping. They would be listed simply under Setchell Carlson radios where you can find many of the radios and other equipment made by the Company and now being sold on Ebay.
I have not seen any of the items he later made at his plant in Florida listed, but that company had a different name and was not the large Company it had been when located in Minnesota before the Setchell Carlson Inc. plant was sold in 1966.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 18, 2019 7:25 am 

palegreenthumb wrote:
2003. Twenty-five repro dials.

I found my Jet in 2013, and I've been trying to keep track of serial numbers since then. I've gathered up 26 radios to date, most of them with serial#s.

But if 25 dials have been sold, there are quite a few radios out there that I don't have on my list.

-Rodney

25 pcs was my GUESS, as he ran most of his repros in those quantities. Since this was a more expensive part, maybe he only had 10 made. I know when I bought the biz, there were about 5 or 6 left that I sold after 2003. Still have some
S-C dials for the S-C 469 FM only radio. Its a bug eye type like the AM only model they made. Odd duck to be FM only in 1947 or so !
Mark Oppat

PostPosted: Feb Mon 18, 2019 10:17 pm 

Regarding the size of the front feet. I measured the one's on mine and they differ somewhat. Overall though they measure with a frontal width of about a 1 1/4 to 1 3/8 of an inch. The back of each foot appears to be flat and glued onto the wooden section of the radio providing support for the cabinet.
The measurements from the top to bottom of each foot measures from about 3/4 to 5/8 of an inch. You can check these measurements against the section of wood where they are glued onto a "Jet" radio and see if they match or a workable copy could be made by someone who could come up with the correct curved section.
Interesting they slightly vary, but it is slight and not noticeable to the casual on-looker if it is noticed at all. As one of mine is a replacement, the newer one evidently was not made to exacting measurements or there could have been irregularities when the radios were first made. :?

PostPosted: Mar Tue 05, 2019 5:28 am 

I have restored the two AM reddish mahogany colored "Jets" I was fortunate enough to find. :wink: The grill cloth on both was original, and with a good cleaning, it looks great. The original fabric was a plastic type of thread which holds up well over the years unless a hole gets punched into it. The veneer issues have been repaired and the one missing "foot" was re-fabricated by a good craftsman and looks the part. Both Dial Faces were in bad shape, and I got replacements from Radio Daze.

My only issue concerns the knobs. I have contacted many sources on the Internet over the past several years but with no luck. :cry: I was able to get some other knobs that are similar (although smaller than the originals) and look "OK", but the original one's would look better. The original one's did not have a set screw which the one's I have on them now do, and actually I prefer the set screw as they just hold better. I think my knobs were replaced for that very reason, in that the original one's tended to fall off easily or loose a tight fit over time.

The original knobs were generally a "semi-flat black" color and some were a creme white color (but few in that color). The original knobs also had a circular metal type of insert fo push the knobs on (instead of a set screw), and they can be problematic, but that is what was the case originally.

The original knobs used by Setchell Carlson appear to be a generic style, but certainly hard to find.
The actual measurements of the original knobs used are:
7/8" diameter, 7/16" tall, 1/8" neck extending out the back of the knob. Fits a 1/4" D-shaft, held on with an e-shaped spring. No set screw, no flat spring. Also, if you count carefully, there are 16 flutes around the perimeter of the knob. They are a modern plastic, not Bakelite.

If anyone sees any of these knobs available from any source, please post it here. I have tried many sources in the past, and some said they would get back with me if they see any, but no luck for a full set as of yet. As it has been a couple of years, I will probably re-contact those people just to see if they have hopefully run across any of the original knobs.

I was able to get one black one (which I paid too much for), but I bought it just to have one and know what an original one looked like although it is not on the radio as it is larger than the best re-placements I was able to locate.

Attachments:
MVC-118S.jpg
MVC-118S.jpg [ 28.1 KiB | Viewed 259 times ]

PostPosted: Mar Tue 12, 2019 6:30 am 

Advertisements for the Setchell Carlson "The Jet" radios are very hard to find, but here is one showing the selling price in 1954 (Export Model) with the blond finish selling for slightly more than the reddish brown mahogany stained radio selling at $29.50 vs $32.50 for the blond finish. This ad shows 3 Bands, so must have been for AM and 2 Shortwave Bands, which would have been the export model, as I know of no US sales for any with a Shortwave Band but were available for the export models.

Interesting it also states "Made to sell for $99.50", but the lower prices must have been for a special Christmas sale price or more probably a clearance price as it is doubtful any of these "Jets" were made after 1954, Export or otherwise.
Not a bad special Christmas sale price, even for 1949 :!:

Attachments:
5130_jet_export_2340457.png
5130_jet_export_2340457.png [ 134.88 KiB | Viewed 125 times ]