Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Tue 19, 2019 9:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Is this a normal phono switch on a Zenith 7S232A Walton?
PostPosted: Feb Fri 15, 2019 11:32 pm 

I just acquired a Zenith 7S232A Export Walton, and I was kind of surprised by the rotary phono switch on back.

I have several Export Zenith's, but they either have a toggle switch on back, or an extra position on the band switch (8A232A). I'm guessing since there is no band switch on a 7S232 chassis, this is why they put the phono switch on back.

But a rotary switch with a wooden knob?

Is this normal for this chassis?

Garret

Attachments:
7S232A Export Phono Switch _smaller highlighted.jpg
7S232A Export Phono Switch _smaller highlighted.jpg [ 169.31 KiB | Viewed 212 times ]
7S232A Export Phono Switch A _smaller highlighted.jpg
7S232A Export Phono Switch A _smaller highlighted.jpg [ 188.48 KiB | Viewed 212 times ]

Last edited by scottgs on Feb Sun 17, 2019 5:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Is this normal for the phono switch on a 7S232A Walton?
PostPosted: Feb Sat 16, 2019 3:07 pm 

scottgs wrote:
Is this normal for this chassis?
Schematically it is shown as a DPDT toggle switch while all the other "wafer" switches are shown schematically as "wafer" switches (they draw the actual switch physical configuration). I am guessing the toggle switch failed at some point and someone used what they had. I could not find any pictures of one.

Curtis Eickerman

Post subject: Re: Is this normal for the phono switch on a 7S232A Walton?
PostPosted: Feb Sat 16, 2019 7:42 pm 

Thanks Curtis. The toggle was the way I interpreted the schematic too. But, I'm not very familiar with the various -232 versions.

I haven't taken the chassis out yet to look underneath. I will be doing that shortly and post photos. From the outside, it sure looks original. But looks can be deceiving.

This radios seems fairly original and unmolested. It was owned by a Ham, SK, who apparently had it for many decades.

Garret

Post subject: Re: Is this a normal phono switch on a Zenith 7S232A Walton?
PostPosted: Feb Sun 17, 2019 10:29 pm 

My export Walton has the same rotary phono switch with a wooden "Z" knob as well so my guess is that it's original.

-Tony

PostPosted: Feb Sun 17, 2019 11:42 pm 

Given the size of the power transformer, I would say it is a 25 Hz transformer and may have multi-voltage taps. In any case, it looks like an export model.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 18, 2019 2:08 am 

Ed Engelken wrote:
Given the size of the power transformer, I would say it is a 25 Hz transformer and may have multi-voltage taps. In any case, it looks like an export model.

Yes no question about this Walton it is an Export. Notice the plastic cover on the rear apron below the power transformer. Remove one screw and then plug the only wire in there into your choice of voltage needed depending on your locality. Anything from 100 volts to 250 volts.
As to the Phono Switch Yes and Yes both have been seen on numerous Zenith radios. Knob and Toggle switch. None of the US only versions had phono inputs where all the export ones did have it.
John k9uwa

PostPosted: Feb Mon 18, 2019 3:19 am 

Tony and John,

Thank you for the confirmation on the switch and Z-knob. That's exactly what I needed to know!

As I mentioned, I have several Export Zeniths, and all of the others have the toggle switch, or use the band switch, so this is a first for me.

Yes, I do know it's an export model, that's why I mentioned it in my original post... I also know that the export models have phono inputs and power transformers capable of 25-60 Cps operation, even including my export 12A58A.

I love learning the little details about these radios!

Garret