Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Fri 22, 2019 8:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Value of my Antique Westinghouse
PostPosted: Feb Sat 16, 2019 12:19 am 

I have an antique Westinghouse radio. It was a handed down from my parents (I recused it from being junked when they sold their house, couldn’t bare the thought of this radio that I grew up with and used to listen to on Christmas mornings when I was a kid getting disposed of). My father got it from his parents who are now both deceased. I looked at the pictures and it looks most like the US Westinghouse WR-368, but there are a few differences. I added a picture. The radio does work. I don’t keep it plugged in or use it normally, but when plugged in it turns on and turns to different stations. It used to get stations, but I live out in the sticks so it doesn’t really pick up any stations out here, plus I am not using an antenna (or whatever you call the wire that helps you get reception).

It has never had any restoration, never been fixed, it has all original parts.

I was wondering what the value is and if this really is a Westinghouse WR-368?

Thanks for any information you can give me.

Post subject: Re: Value of my Antique Westinghouse
PostPosted: Feb Sat 16, 2019 12:41 am 

You photo didn't show.

If this is the radio that you used to listen to on Christmas mornings as a kid, then I would say that it's priceless.
Priceless: so precious that its value cannot be determined... :)

Posting photos to a forum thread...
The skinny: viewtopic.php?p=2717120#p2717120

Greg.

Last edited by egg on Feb Sat 16, 2019 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 16, 2019 1:48 am 

Westinghouse WR-368:

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/westinghou_wr368.html

Has 10 tubes, counting the eye tube. How many tubes in yours?
If it has fewer tubes and fewer features than the WR-368, it will be hard to get more than $40-60 for it.

Fix it up and keep it in the family. We can tell you how to replace the capacitors, which are cheap to buy. Do not power up the radio with the old dried out capacitors in it, as you are risking the expensive transformers and other parts.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 16, 2019 2:33 am 

Welcome to the forum.

My case was similar to yours. The first radio that started me in this hobby was the family’s RCA Radiola 18 handed down to me from my grandparents.

If I may suggest, clean up your Westinghouse and perhaps get it restored. The radio itself may be worth $50, maybe $100, but as stated previously, it’s history is priceless. You are fortunate to still have it. Best of luck.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 16, 2019 3:11 am 

Oh, I don’t plan on selling it, cause of its sentimental value. But I wanted to know more about it. I’m not sure what tubes are, I’m sorry, I’m sort of new to this. It’s in fairly good condition considering it has never been restored. I’ll try to repost the pictures in hopes someone will be able to give me some information about what model or year the radio is. I’ve searched so many sites and have been unable to find this exact radio anywhere. Plus, it does still work, so not sure what or who I would see about getting anything done to fix it up. I don’t want to decrease its value or ruin it. But most importantly, I want to keep it as close to its original state as possible. Granted I know very little about radio restoration.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 16, 2019 6:04 am 

Welcome, alogia67!

The tubes, or more correctly "vacuum tubes", are the glass objects you see when you look in the back of the radio. They are mounted on bases with pins on them, and they plug into sockets on the top of the chassis (the metal box). That makes them removable so they can be replaced, like light bulbs.

Your radio is of the right age that it may have had metal tubes instead. Rather than looking like glass bulbs, they just look like metal cans painted black, about the size of a 1.5V C-cell battery. Still plugged into sockets to make them removable. And about half the time, glass tubes have shields put over top of them, which would be metal, generally of a silver color. That can make the tubes hard to spot, because you can't see the glass.

You can see lots of pictures of different kinds of tubes in the Wikipedia article about them. Maybe by looking through that, you can get an idea of what they look like, and then spot the ones in your radio.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_tube

Many people seem to think that "the tubes are the electronics," but don't be fooled. A radio like yours probably has 100-150 electronic components in it, and the tubes are only 10 of them. The tubes are mounted on top of the chassis because they generate heat and it makes them easy to replace, but it also means they are a lot of what you see. Most of the rest of the components are *under* the chassis, the resistors, capacitors, coils, switches, potentiometers, and so forth. And all the wiring that hooks those components and the tubes all together. That's all hidden from sight inside the metal box.

Feel free to ask questions, that's what we're here for. If you post some pictures of your radio, we can tell you more about it.