Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Sun 21, 2019 7:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sparton 1867 Advice
PostPosted: May Tue 07, 2019 4:34 pm 

Hello Antique Radio Forum, Looking for a little insight and recommendation. I have the opportunity to pick up a 1937 Sparton Triolian 1867 here in the Portland area. The radio veneers are in good shape and with no signs or cracking in the usual places. The radio chassis is complete and does light up (per the owner). The speakers (all 3) are present and correct. The dial is a bit "past it" but given the problems these dial faces had I can accept a bit of imperfection. The only big problem is the lack of a speaker chassis. The component in the bottom of the radio behind the speakers. I am not even sure if the radio will play without the chassis and without some MacGivering. The owner has no idea what happened to it so it is long gone. Is it possible to find one of these speaker chassis or is it "unobtanium". I would prefer to restore the radio to origin if possible but the styling is so cool I don't want to miss out on a good condition console that to me is a pinnacle radio. Any thoughts? Would love some advice. Thanks much.

Post subject: Re: Sparton 1867 Advice
PostPosted: May Tue 07, 2019 5:16 pm 

Well, I wouldn't say it is unobtanium, but it will be a rather hard piece to find.
That said, I wouldn't let that hold you back if you can get it for a reasonable price.

Another option is to build a replacement chassis. The major components would be a power transformer, filter choke, audio input transformer and an output transformer for the HF side which drives the two "tweeters".
Companies such as Heyboer could build the transformers to spec.

The rest of the parts on the chassis are minor and relatively easy to find.

My Triolian 1476 was missing the lower chassis as well and that was my plan, but amazingly enough, I found a chassis for it! :D

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: May Tue 07, 2019 8:07 pm 

First off, what is the seller wanting for that Sparton?

PostPosted: May Tue 07, 2019 9:38 pm 

Another option might be to adapt another bi-amplified chassis to it. That way you can use it while you wait for the needle-in-the-haystack correct, original amp to turn up.

I'm thinking of the monaural amplifier chassis from Magnavoxes, RCAs, Motorolas, etc., from the late '40s and early '50s. Lots of those mid- and higher-end units were bi-amped. They're pretty common and there's not much demand for them, so it shouldn't be too hard to find something cheap.

PostPosted: May Wed 08, 2019 3:19 am 

Thanks for the information . The custom built chassis is intriguing but sounds expensive. The radio itself is already over 500 dollars so is this a good deal considering I may need to pay up to get it running? I sure do like the style and the cabinet seems tone in really good condition. Thoughts at 500 bucks? Thanks much. Rob

PostPosted: May Wed 08, 2019 4:10 am 

An 1867 came up for sale in Portland about 5-6 years ago. It had the typical veneer cracking on its flanks, but was otherwise complete and in good condition. Seller had it listed on eBay with no reserve and local pickup only. I put in what I thought surely was a sport bid of $500, which topped the previous bidder's $400. I then held the lead in the auction all week long at $405. As the final seconds of the auction wound down, a low-feedback bidder made a takeout bid and the radio closed at $510. Phwew! Almost got stuck with that one.

About 24 hours later the radio was relisted, no explanation given. Oops, the shill must have won. On the second go-round, the auction was listed with a reserve price. I didn't bid, and the radio closed at $400 the second time, which did not meet the reserve. Radio was relisted, and the third time, it closed around $350. I was new to the hobby at the time, but at that point it became obvious to me that no-one was ever going to top the reserve--whatever it was--and bidders were dropping out, so I quit watching.

My point being, I suspect that missing its amp and having a flaking dial is a bigger value hit than the veneer cracking. Veneer can be repaired, but neither the amp nor the dial is "repairable"; they must be taken from a donor radio. While the market seems to have recovered a bit since 2013, I think the unobtanium parts that need attention seriously limit this radio's value. I'd put it more in the $200-300 range, not $500.

-Rodney

PostPosted: May Wed 08, 2019 4:25 am 

Rodney said..."y point being, I suspect that missing its amp and having a flaking dial is a bigger value hit than the veneer cracking. Veneer can be repaired, but neither the amp nor the dial is "repairable"; they must be taken from a donor radio. While the market seems to have recovered a bit since 2013, I think the unobtanium parts that need attention seriously limit this radio's value. I'd put it more in the $200-300 range, not $500. "

I say the nice veneer trumps the missing Power supply/ audio chassis. You CAN sub another chassis in there if need be, or even find one... but fixing that typically splitting veneer on the sharply rounded corners is not easy !
I say get it at anything under $500. An old Seeburg jukebox chassis would likely be an easy adaptable way to go.
Mark Oppat

PostPosted: May Wed 08, 2019 5:17 am 

You guys are awesome. Thanks for the advice and opinions. I’m not sure I can let this radio go. Have to say I’m falling in love with it. You know what that means, money can always be made but they adren’t making anymore 1937 Sparton Triolians.

PostPosted: May Sun 12, 2019 2:52 pm 

Thats the way I would look at it.
I guess I'm a bit biased to the direction that I'm more interested in the radio history and technology over what they will bring money wise.

As I love the Spartons and the Triolian series, i would grab it. If by chance I ever run across an extra amplifier, I'll keep you in mind.

I'm sure you've found my Triolian webpage. It is in dire need up updating though

http://www.theradiofox.com/sparton/triolian/index.html

-Steve

-Pre-War FM

PostPosted: May Tue 14, 2019 11:22 pm 

Thanks for the advice Steve. I have seen your web page and it was part of my decision to purchase the Triolian. I pick the radio up in a couple of weeks so I'll let everyone know what it looks like when I get ti home. A guy in our local club told me he has a spare speaker amp chassis. It light cost me but I think it is probably worth it for this awesome radio. How's you restoration coming along? Cheers, Rob

PostPosted: May Wed 15, 2019 4:06 pm 

robwsilver wrote:
Thanks for the information . The custom built chassis is intriguing but sounds expensive. The radio itself is already over 500 dollars so is this a good deal considering I may need to pay up to get it running? I sure do like the style and the cabinet seems tone in really good condition. Thoughts at 500 bucks? Thanks much. Rob

Building an amp/power supply :

https://www.russoldradios.com/blog/mcmu ... er-adaptor

Different radio - same need.

PostPosted: May Fri 17, 2019 1:06 pm 

As I may have mentioned before, one possible solution to a missing amplifier/power supply chassis is to use one from a discarded tube-type organ. This will have enough filament and B+ capacity to handle a big set, such as a Scott or McMurdo. Of course, finding the correct chassis is the way to go, but a substitute will help to get the set going while the search is on.

PostPosted: May Tue 28, 2019 3:07 pm 

Good News!!! I went to pickup the Spartan Triolian and while looking around in the storage area of the seller, found what I believe is the correct speaker amplifier for the Spartan 1867. Now I won't need to find the "unobtanium". Yahoo! Thanks to all for all the encouragement and support in the purchase. It is a very cool radio.
Rob

PostPosted: May Tue 28, 2019 3:31 pm 

That is great! Keep us posted on the restoration details.

PostPosted: May Tue 28, 2019 4:13 pm 

Yes, that is great news!

Please, take some photos and post them here :D

-Steve

-Pre-War FM

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 12:31 am 

Any chance of sharing photos?

This afternoon, I reassembled my 1867 after being apart for so long.
The cabinet isn't the one I got when I bought the radio, but is a much better example. It just has holes drilled into it.
Nothing is ever perfect with these...

Anyhow, enjoy.
-Steve

Attachments:
sparton1867f.jpg
sparton1867f.jpg [ 271.21 KiB | Viewed 314 times ]
sparton1867b.jpg
sparton1867b.jpg [ 252.55 KiB | Viewed 314 times ]

-Pre-War FM

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 2:48 pm 

Looks great! Is it playing yet? This makes me eager to get mine put together and actually see what the sound is like. Should be amazing!

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 6:01 pm 

I'm afraid it is not playing yet. I did work on making replacement electrolytic cans for it, but so far only the ones in the power amplifier have been installed.

The chassis has been a bit cobbled up, and two of the three IF transformers have been replaced.
I have a donor 1567 chassis which has the correct IF transformers, just need to find the time to get it all together.

If I could quit my job, and still have cash flow, I would do it in a heartbeat! I need time to work on stuff and not come home dead tired...

-Steve

Attachments:
sparton1867caps.jpg
sparton1867caps.jpg [ 220.24 KiB | Viewed 253 times ]

-Pre-War FM

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 6:52 pm 

azenithnut wrote:
If I could quit my job, and still have cash flow, I would do it in a heartbeat! I need time to work on stuff and not come home dead tired...

+1000

This is a perplexing problem that I can't figure out either! I'm with you all the way, Steve.

Beautiful radios, guys. Love this model. Haven't snagged one yet.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 11:12 pm 

Also +1000. I will be retiring in 2 1/2 years, and can hardly wait!

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 21 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page 1, 2  Next