Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sat 19, 2019 3:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: McMurdo history
PostPosted: May Tue 14, 2019 6:05 am 

FStephenMasek wrote:
What is all of this suicide nonsense? Armstrong and Silver had much to live for.
Thankfully, Browning and other important radio pioneers did not go down the same path.

So did Robin Williams and Anthony Bourdain. And an upper-line radio collector I knew originally from Michigan. And, my nephew Barry.
Each had their own known and unknown pain.
Mark Oppat

PostPosted: May Tue 14, 2019 11:59 am 

McMurdo Silver was a genius, but a "big spender" and terrible businessman. He burned through lots of money and filed for bankruptcy around 1938-1939.

PostPosted: May Tue 14, 2019 3:11 pm 

DHauff wrote:
McMurdo Silver was a genius

What qualifies McMurdo Silver for genius status? He experimented with circuits but did not develop anything revolutionary. Other than that he was good at marketing but again, nothing revolutionary. He certainly was not good at business management. He was a good collector!

Norman

PostPosted: May Sun 19, 2019 4:54 am 

DHauff wrote:
Matt.. Just so you know, the info below was written by the author who knew McMurdo manufactured radios but not specifics, and therefore related "Silvertone" to McMurdo Silver. Threre is no relationship.

According to Our Silver Heritage:Gershom and Millicent (Archer) Silver, Volume 2, 1976
"Tradition tells us it was he [McMurdo Silver] who sold the Silvertone radio, along with the patent rights thereto, to Sears, Roebuck."

McMurdo was also an avid gun collector. I don't have my file nearby, but I have copies of articles regarding his death and his death certificate and the sale of his gun collection.

His life is a really interesting story and many parts are missing and need to be documented, possibly in Wikipedia. One piece that I couldn't put together was how the British "McMurdo Silver" company was related. They made radios for a few years. The V and the 15-17 were made for sure, and possibly some VI's.

Sorry for delay in getting back. Yes I agree there is no validity in the Silvertone thing. I discovered and have on order a photocopy of McMurdo's gun collection which if things go right I can share in a week or so. I also discovered McMurdo wrote a book on antique gun's and have requested to borrow a copy.

I did more investigation of Edward McMurdo (grandfather) and discovered his birth name was McMurdy not McMurdo. Edward was born about 1842 and lived in Frankfort Ky where his father, Robert McMurdy was in the ministry of the Episcopal Church. Edward made a business trip to New Orleans in 1861 and was drafted into the Rebel Army, 7th Regt of Louisiana, under Capt Clark. He saw action in the battles of Manassas and Bull Run. His parents wrote several letters to Captain Clark pleading for their son's release even stating in one letter by his father, Rev Robert McMurdy, "He has the appointment of 1st Lieutenant in the Federal Army and no one in Ky has done more for the Union than myself." On Aug 2nd 1861 Edward McMurdo, while still in the Confederate Army, made a request to his commander to go to Washington as a "spy" for the Confederate Army. His request was denied "as he was known to have tried to get out of the service of the Confederate States on several occasions". Rebel Army records show McMurdo discharged as a deserter in the year 1861. Source: Fold3 So although he was often called, Colonel McMurdo, and may have been an honorary Kentucky Colonel he was not a military colonel in anybody's army.

I also discovered Bill Halligan and Lawrence Chambers began working as a mfg rep for S-M in June 1928. Halligan, Chambers, and Burton Brown were also on the S-M Polo Team. Picture attached! So when Halligan was being sued by RCA and bought S-M for the RCA license perhaps it wasn't so much that S-M was in trouble as it was McMurdo helping Halligan out of a jam? Maybe it was both.
Attachment:
1928_06_Radio_Engineering_p64_Halligan_Chambers_rep_SM.jpg
1928_06_Radio_Engineering_p64_Halligan_Chambers_rep_SM.jpg [ 20.69 KiB | Viewed 594 times ]

Attachments:
1930_0528_TalkingMachineRadioWeekly_p176.jpg
1930_0528_TalkingMachineRadioWeekly_p176.jpg [ 92.03 KiB | Viewed 594 times ]

PostPosted: May Mon 20, 2019 7:04 pm 

Bio from 1948 Who's Who in Engineering, V6, p1815
Attachment:
1948_Whos_who_in_Engineering_V6_p1815.jpg
1948_Whos_who_in_Engineering_V6_p1815.jpg [ 101.17 KiB | Viewed 566 times ]

PostPosted: Jun Sat 15, 2019 10:20 pm 

McMurdo Silver, div of G.P.H., Inc. ???

G.P.H. was Glen's Patents and Holdings, Inc in the US (registered NY - inc in Del) or Glen's Patents and Holdings, Ltd., London for operation in Canada & Great Britain. A few patents were assigned to G.P.H. including a ship's telephone, loudspeaker, and a physical coupling device. Glen was Robert Rodger Glen of Glasgow, Scotland. During the first WW he was a Lieutenant of the Queen's Glasgow Yeomanry and later was promoted to Major. Glen married Doreen Leigh-King at about the same time as the sinking of the Lusitania in May 1915. In 1920 he married Jane Story, an American citizen. They had one son, Robert Story Glen. During the 30's, Glen owned a home in Glasgow and two homes in Biarritz, France. In late '36 or early '37 they were having marital difficulties and Jane left their home in France and moved to NY where she initiated divorce proceedings. After much negotiation over jurisdiction, a settlement was thought to have been reached in January of 1938 wherein a trust valued at $1 million was placed for Robert Story Glen and his mother, Jane. A decree of divorce was entered July 14, 1938 in Scotland on the grounds of adultery. These dates roughly coincide with the demise of McMurdo Silver's radio business suggesting McMurdo Silver's funding had dried up due to the divorce of his financial provider, Mr. Glen. Glen moved to California about 1939 and soon married Jane Durand. Glen died Feb 8, 1957 in California as a naturalized citizen and his estate was contested for a number of years finally being settled around 1965.

Matt

More info: During WW1 Robert Rodger Glen saw action in France, Egypt, Arabia and the Dardanelles and was wounded several times. He then served as secretary to Lord Reading and Lord Grey which brought him to Washington DC as well as Tokyo, Rome, Cairo, India and other cities. During WW2 he gave up his Scotland home to provide a nursery for child victims of air raids. He was educated in Harron and Cambridge Univ.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 18, 2019 6:33 pm 

Glen, Major R.R. (1935, Sept) Radio Conditions in Europe, Silver Times, 12

PostPosted: Jun Tue 18, 2019 11:24 pm 

Matt,

This is great information. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 1:39 am 

1932-35 McMurdo Silver Inc.
1935-Oct 1938 McMurdo Silver Corp.

Does anyone know of any instance where McMurdo referenced "div of G.P.H" prior to 1935? I only have access to 7 or 8 Silver Times. My guess is Major Glen's ownership role began with the name change from Inc to Corp beginning in 1935 (Masterpiece IV & up). I also noticed Glen states above that he controlled Radionox, Bayonne, France. Could've the Masterpiece radios sold in London have been made at Radionox?

https://www.radiomuseum.org/dsp_hersteller_detail.cfm?Company_Id=5110

Matt

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 9:29 pm 

Chicago research laboratories of G.P.H. Ltd

Silver, McMurdo (1936, Nov) Laboratories Move To Enlarge Again, Silver Times, 5

PostPosted: Jul Thu 11, 2019 3:39 am 

...update

Div of G.P.H. Ltd:

Found a record that substantiates R.R. Glen's business, G.P.H. Ltd, operated from 1929 to 1939. It is unclear how long Glen owned McMurdo's business, but as far as I can tell the first use of "Div of G.P.H." appeared on the Masterpiece V. I also made contact with some of R.R.Glen's living descendants who do have this link. They had no knowledge of G.P.H. or McMurdo Silver, but found the family history fascinating. Glen was intimately involved in world affairs as a diplomat and most likely saw the war on the horizon. World conflict and his own personal issues of going through a costly divorce most likely contributed to closing McMurdo's business. Articles of Incorporation and bankruptcy have not been found so it is unclear to me if McMurdo actually filed bankruptcy or just closed up and sold out to Scott as a private sale? Bankruptcies are always printed in the newspapers, but I could find nothing. McMurdo did file personal bankruptcy in 1942.

Gun Collection:
I was able to secure an original copy of Silver's gun collection as published in Vol1 No1 A.R.C.A. Arms Quarterly of 1933. I also learned Silver at one time owned the famous dueling pistol that Aaron Burr used to kill Alexander Hamilton that now is in the Smithsonian. https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/a21083805/hamilton-dueling-pistols/. I suspect Silver eventually moved to Hartford because of Colt. McMurdo's grandfather, Edward McMurdo, introduced the Gardner Machine Gun to Europe. And in the post referenced below it seems Silver's step-grandfather may have purchased the same company from Colt or possibly as a result of his marriage.

Paris Exposition of 1937:
Thanks to the New York Public Library I was able to locate the article in the Paris Edition of the New York Herald Tribune regarding the 1937 Paris Expo awards. As stated previously from the State Dept records, McMurdo Silver was awarded Grand Prix (1st place), Diploma of Honor (2nd place) went to E.H. Scott and RCA. Gold Medals (3rd place) went to Crosley and Capehart. The article states the International Award Jury results were first disclosed in the French publication, "Journal Officiel", dated 22 July 1938. Theodore Rouseau of New York was the sole American judge.

https://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=148859 Does anyone have the original photos Alan posted here? Seems they have disappeared.

So what to do with this info? What do you think about a Wikipedia page?

edit: I have no evidence, but it seems highly likely that R.R. Glen somehow was connected to Edward McMurdo's financial interests in London. I don't think Glen's relationship with Silver was purely accidental. Edward McMurdo was well known within the financial district of London. Glen also had an office in the London financial district.
https://tinyurl.com/y4chuou4

Who was the "distant relative" Marshall of Silver Marshall?

Matt

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 31 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page Previous  1, 2