Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Mon 17, 2019 10:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Famous Radios - Movie/TV Props, etc.
PostPosted: Jun Fri 13, 2008 11:56 pm 

This is the radio used in Gilligan's Island.

Can you ID it?

Anybody else have photos or discriptions of other radios appearing in the movies or TV?

http://www.gilligansisle.com/radio.html

Last edited by realradios on Dec Wed 23, 2009 11:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Sat 14, 2008 12:09 am 

Packard Bell AR851 (?) with a handle and a fake antenna added.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Sat 14, 2008 3:43 am 

Not radios but on AK we were discussing an episode of the 1960's show "Hazel" that featured a lot of Televisions.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showth ... p?t=168118

Hope the link is OK, seems easier than reposting everything here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Sat 14, 2008 4:32 am 

Of course everyone is familiar with the "Walton's Tombstone", a Zenith 9S232 or 12S232 tombstone. There is an identical set in the war movie "Tora, Tora, Tora". It is pictured aboard (of all places) one of the Japanese battleships that the attack on Pearl Harbor was launched from. The sailors are shown getting news reports on it and listening to Hawaiian music as they approach their target. Great movie!

Gilbert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Sat 14, 2008 4:33 am 

Jack Shirley wrote:
Packard Bell AR851 (?) with a handle and a fake antenna added.

Yes, obviously an AM radio with a prop FM antenna.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Sat 14, 2008 5:12 am 

I don't recall the model No. at the moment, but I recently sold the little wooden RCA table radio that sat on the headboard of Rowena, the hooker (Park Overall) in the movie Biloxi Blues.

Our Radio Collecting Club supplied most of the radios in the movie as well as other period props - - - good money from those folks too.

The one radio I wish I had purchased was a ugly red painted Cathedral set sold on Eeevil-Bay a while back. It reportedly had belonged to Anton LeVey. I hesitated and it sold - - pretty much on the cheap as far as I can recall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Sat 14, 2008 5:16 am 

I wonder what ever happened to the medallion/amulet that Le Vey wore around his neck. Joe Pyne always called it a yo-yo.

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Sat 14, 2008 5:19 am 

Dunno Bob,

As I remember it, sorta looked like a low budget version of the junk on Mr. "T"s neck - - - if it's the dingus in my minds eye.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Sat 14, 2008 6:31 am 

sofaslug wrote:
I wonder what ever happened to the medallion/amulet that Le Vey wore around his neck. Joe Pyne always called it a yo-yo.

Bob

Bob;
What a coincidence, In another thread we were discussing about Radio and T.V. personalities.
I left a trivia question. Who said; "Straight Ahead"

No one has guessed it yet.
One of my T.V. heroes.

Dan/Panther

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Sat 14, 2008 6:33 am 

...I have a couple of questions:

1. Didn't a Philips 'FM-AM Deluxe' multiband portable make a cameo appearance in one of the early James Bond movies?

2. Wasn't there a Brady Bunch episode with a scene in it with one of the kids bopping around the house wearing one of these?
(Panasonic RF-60 FM stereo headphone radio, 1969 +/-)
...I never watched the show, but I seem to remember seeing a promo for it once with that scene or part of it in the promo...

Last edited by FM Refugee on Jun Sat 14, 2008 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Sat 14, 2008 6:35 am 

About 3 years ago, I purchased a Philco PT-93, in excellent condition, and operation cxondition. It was used in the Movie "Seabiscuit".
At the time and considerinbg it's condition, I paid $113.00 on ebay for it. I felt a bargain. Came with certificate from studio also.

Dan/Panther

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Sat 14, 2008 8:27 am 

I have a 1940 Canadian Westinghouse model 780, which is the same radio used in the movie "A Christmas Story".
They filmed the interior shots here in Toronto, so they ended up using this Canada-only set.

Mine still needs a proper re-finish and tune-up. Maybe I'll even install a red light instead of an eye tube, just like the movie.

Ralphie's Mom broke the leg lamp by the radio.

My Cdn Westinghouse 780, with bowling trophy & clay pot, no leg lamp... yet.

[size=100:22w95duj][color=brown:22w95duj][b:22w95duj]Jeremy Hopkin[/b:22w95duj][/color:22w95duj][/size:22w95duj]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Sat 14, 2008 9:06 am 

edit

Last edited by PaulP on Sep Tue 29, 2009 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Sat 14, 2008 12:13 pm 

I can't remember who, but some nationally syndicated preacher has a Sunday morning show. I don't remember the brands but look for the radios in the backround of his studio. I think there may have been a Zenith console and another shelf model.

And the old 2-way radio on the file cabinet in the Mayberry Sherriff's office from the Andy Griffith show.

I think it was a Hallicrafters S-38 radio in an old episode of the Jack Benny show. It was in the Beverly Hills cop station in the episode where Jack's car is stolen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Sat 14, 2008 1:41 pm 

For Three Stooges fans, from the 1944 episode "Idle Roomers", a 1942 Zenith 6D-630. Notice in the first photo the cabinet's depth was extended by the prop department. Broken over Curly's head courtesy of Moe.
Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Sat 14, 2008 9:43 pm 

Asburys, LLC wrote:
As a huge fan of that movie, I am impressed that you were able to find the same model used during filming. Very cool! And hey, they've got the leg lamps on sale at the museum in Cleveland...

Hi Asburys, thanks, it was a time consuming effort to find the same radios as In "A Christmas Story".

I'm a huge fan of that movie as well, I can watch it any day of the year and it still won't wear out it's welcome. A great movie.

I bought that bowling trophy (on top the radio) at a local junk shop in hopes that one day I'd track down the model number and brand.
Then I did a ton of research by reading through all the old radio advertisements in archival newspapers and was happily amazed on the day that I found a 1940 advertisement for it.

Then, I scowered local classified ads for over two years with no luck. Finally, about a year or two ago, somebody had listed an old Westinghouse floor model radio for sale that I was convinced was THE radio. Phoned the seller, who was nice enough to check the model number and he confirmed it was a 780. So, I drove there as quick as legally possible and bought it.

About the lamp - I have been meaning for a while now to take a drive to the Christmas Story House Museum and buy the full size leg lamp and Orphan Annie decoder repro too. I also called them up to see if I can pick it up there, but didn't go.
I want to go soon, hopefully fuel prices will come down before I make the roadtrip. Cleveland is not really that far to go by car from Toronto. It will be an interesting time at the border if Customs searches my car and they find the leg!!! At first they may think it's a real person's leg and call the authorities over....

[size=100:22w95duj][color=brown:22w95duj][b:22w95duj]Jeremy Hopkin[/b:22w95duj][/color:22w95duj][/size:22w95duj]

Last edited by retro today on Jun Sat 14, 2008 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Sat 14, 2008 10:05 pm 

panther wrote:
sofaslug wrote:

Bob

Bob;
What a coincidence, In another thread we were discussing about Radio and T.V. personalities.
I left a trivia question. Who said; "Straight Ahead"

No one has guessed it yet.
One of my T.V. heroes.

Dan/Panther

Wild guess: McHale?

Carl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Sun 15, 2008 3:45 am 

Asburys, LLC wrote:
retro today wrote:
I have a 1940 Canadian Westinghouse model 780, which is the same radio used in the movie "A Christmas Story".
They filmed the interior shots here in Toronto, so they ended up using this Canada-only set.

Mine still needs a proper re-finish and tune-up. Maybe I'll even install a red light instead of an eye tube, just like the movie.

As a huge fan of that movie, I am impressed that you were able to find the same model used during filming. Very cool!
And hey, they've got the leg lamps on sale at the museum in Cleveland...
http://www.redriderleglamps.com/Store.c ... 304fea48b7
2fa148e3TR?category=13&position=1&CFID=288304&CFTOKEN=29776408

It is actually a fairly common radio, among early 1940s Canadian Westinghouse sets, at least the cabinet style is. The whereabouts of the prop used in the movie are unknown but Bob Clark, the director, did acquire an example for himself a year or so after the movie was made.
Best Regards
Arran

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Sun 15, 2008 8:30 am 

Quote:
It is actually a fairly common radio, among early 1940s Canadian Westinghouse sets, at least the cabinet style is. The whereabouts of the prop used in the movie are unknown but Bob Clark, the director, did acquire an example for himself a year or so after the movie was made.
Best Regards
Arran

Hi Arran,

In my search for the radio I found several similar Westinghouse radios of that same year with the model number of 780, but they all had a letter attached to that number - Something like 780a, 780x, etc. etc.
With all those number variations, the chassis basically stayed the same but subtle (and some drastic) changes in the cabinet details made them look quite different from the one in the movie, so I passed on those. Seems the radio chassis may be fairly common, but it might be a little more difficult to find in that cabinet.

In the commentary of the 20th anniversary special edition DVD of A Christmas Story Bob Clark said that finding ANY 1940s floor model radio to buy while filming in Toronto was a problem. But, that was in the days before the internet took over.
I had no idea he bought one for himself, very cool.

The funny thing is, on my Westinghouse there is a water stain ring in the exact same spot where the flower pot is in the movie and it was there before I got it. Could mine be THE one from the movie? Hmmm. :lol:

Sadly, I wish Bob was still alive to chat more about the radio and the making of that movie - it was a tragedy how he and his son died, taken from us much too soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Sun 15, 2008 11:41 am 

GSI wrote:
For Three Stooges fans, from the 1944 episode "Idle Roomers", a 1942 Zenith 6D-630. Notice in the first photo the cabinet's depth was extended by the prop department. Broken over Curly's head courtesy of Moe.
Image Image

I don't remember which "short subject" it was but Curly asked: "Short-Wave?". Moe said "No, Permanent!", and crowns him. Good stuff. Except to the radio.

Mike

Last edited by mikhail7 on Jun Mon 16, 2008 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 409 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next