Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Fri 19, 2019 10:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Stromberg Carlson 1500-H Schematic
PostPosted: May Sun 26, 2019 3:38 pm 

1st of all I'm rather new at this hobby and I am trying to restore a Stromberg Carlson 1500-H radio. I can't find a schematic for it other than from radiomuseum which is fuzzy and I can't read it. Any suggestions where to get one? I am having trouble figuring out the wiring on the filter capacitor replacement. There are (2) 40mfd 200V capacitors plus the ground of course, but there is additional wiring to a lug which I have no idea where to wire it back up. So any help will be much appreicated, thanks. - Ray

Post subject: Re: Stromberg Carlson 1500-H Schematic
PostPosted: May Sun 26, 2019 3:49 pm 

The four-page Photofact Set-132 Folder-15 can be downloaded in DjVu format from Tom Bavis' website.

This link will take you to Tom's Stromberg page. (Made in Rochester).
https://tinyurl.com/made-in-rochester

Greg.

I use this DjVu reader (safe download from sourceforge.net) works great.
http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtop ... 9#p2746819

Posting photos to a forum thread...
The skinny: http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtop ... 0#p2717120

Last edited by egg on May Sun 26, 2019 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May Sun 26, 2019 3:50 pm 

Greg beat me to it!

See my web page: Made in Rochester for the Sams folder. You'll need the DjVu plug-in or similar to open that file; there's a link for that too.

PostPosted: May Sun 26, 2019 4:10 pm 

Tom, you are alive and well!

I see that you have managed to create some new links to your "banned" website.
Famous at last... 8)

Thanks for all the schematics and much more.
:) Greg.

PostPosted: May Sun 26, 2019 4:42 pm 

Ray...

Here are the two 40μF (microfarad) 200V filter capacitors.
Replace them with individual capacitors, either in the filter can or underneath the chassis. Secure them with a terminal-strip (solder tag).
Use some spaghetti tubing or heat-shrink tubing on exposed leads, if they are an issue.
Trace (follow) the extra wire that you have mentioned, and see where it connects in the circuit - - it's gotta go somewhere... :)

Post a photo or two if it helps.
Greg.

oh... C1A is labeled in error as R-something?
If you see something funny in a radio, question the schematic or parts list as errors are not uncommon, and at times there may be many... :shock:

PostPosted: May Sun 26, 2019 6:13 pm 

Here are alternative schematics for model 1500 from Riders.
They are drawn differently and the component numbers are also different!

Rider 1951 Stromberg-Carlson pages...
21-1: http://americanradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX ... e-0206.pdf
21-2: http://americanradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX ... e-0207.pdf

Greg.

PostPosted: May Sun 26, 2019 6:39 pm 

The closest easily found modern value replacements would be 47uf@450v.

PostPosted: May Sun 26, 2019 7:26 pm 

Just had a look at the radiomuseum schematic.
It is completely illegible, and I can see in the dark. Lol

:) Greg.

PostPosted: May Sun 26, 2019 7:40 pm 

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymode ... 021363.pdf

PostPosted: May Sun 26, 2019 11:16 pm 

That model has the Selenium rectifier in place of a 35 volt tube, so they used a resistor to drop about 30 volts. That resistor and the one shown in parallel with the pilot light, may need to be replaced with new resistors.

Sometimes it is wise to replace the Selenium Diode with a silicon diode and another resistor. Don't buy the dropping resistor until you decide if you want to keep the old diode for originality in a shelf queen,, but if you want a long-lasting daily player, replace it.

Use the Search function at the top of any page here to search thiese forums for discussions and comments pertaining to any of the above.

I have 3 Stromberg Carlson Bakelites and this one is my favorite. The extra tube is an RF amp that really improves reception.
Earlier versions with this body style had 6 tubes, but this one has 5 plus the selenium diode.

PostPosted: May Tue 28, 2019 4:33 pm 

Wow, I was just now able to get back to this discussion, I want to thank each and everyone for your input. I'll be studying it and get back to working on the radio. Attached is the original configuration and then my butcher job. If I have the caps in the right place, it's the cap with the striped wires that I have no clue what they attach to. Sorry, as I mentioned I'm new at this, again thanks for your help.

Attachments:
File comment: Fig1
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 132.75 KiB | Viewed 532 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 195.81 KiB | Viewed 532 times ]
File comment: Fig2
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 202.72 KiB | Viewed 531 times ]
File comment: Fig3
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 169.14 KiB | Viewed 531 times ]
File comment: Fig4
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 286.84 KiB | Viewed 531 times ]

PostPosted: May Tue 28, 2019 7:27 pm 

OK, I am guessing so try to confirm this yourself, that you are referring to the striped wires and the old wax cap? The lug they were attached to was the outer shell of the cap can which you have now bypassed. So that means these wires are connected directly to a common terminal for B-. In this radio, B- is not the chassis, but is separated from the chassis by a cap and a resistor shown on the left side of the schematic.

You could have left those wires connected to the cap can, and it would be better if you reattached them to prevent that connection from hitting the chassis. Use your DMM in Ohmmeter setting to confirm what is attached where. The schematic does not show relative positions of anything, so you need to interpret what you are seeing, such as reading the cap value on the cap and then finding it on the schematic. Same for resistors, Google the color code chart, measure resistance to confirm, find it on the schemo. GL.

Here is a link to a pdf of the schematic:

Be sure to visit Tom's website for information about your radio's creators.
Tom, thanks again for the output transformer, it is perfect and looks original mounted in my Marconi.

PostPosted: May Thu 30, 2019 6:55 pm 

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me, I really appreciate it. I want so bad to get this radio and a 1939 Philco up and running plus a Grundig. Anyway I reconnected that cap and those 2 striped wires back to the old capacitor as you had mentioned. Right now it is still dead in the water and not lighting up. I have ordered new resistors and capacitors, just waiting for them to come in. I have to be gone for a week or two and by then all parts should be here, I'll let you know if or when I have success.

PostPosted: May Thu 30, 2019 10:41 pm 

There are 2 distinct circuits in a tube radio, one that is AC, alternating current, that supplies the tube filaments or heaters, and another, a DC circuit, to operate the other elements of the tubes.
The filter capacitors are in the DC portion of the circuit, the high voltage circuit which is known as the B+, from the days when this voltage was supplied by batteries.

In this radio, for the tubes to light up, there has to be continuity between all the heaters in the 5 tubes, the dropping resistors, and the dial light. The schematic shows the heater string and the resistors. With a DMM set to Ohms, check the resistors first, then remove tubes, one at a time if you wish, and check each tube heater with a DMM set to Ohms to see if one of your tubes has an open connection. There should be a resistance showing a complete circuit. To find the heater pins of each tube, Google the tube name and record the pinouts on a sheet of paper.

You can map the underside of the chassis by drawing the tubes sockets as they appear and then numbering the terminals as shown in the tube specs. Sometimes all this is provided in the schematic, sometimes not.

If a radio has a power transformer, then the tube heaters will be wired in parallel in most cases, and so you could have all but one tube lighting up, and it is simple to see where there is a problem with the heater circuit. Not the case here, so a bit of testing is required.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 02, 2019 12:06 am 

Fifties - I don't know how to reply to you directly about my Stromberg Carlson 1500-H so I hope that you see this. I saw on another post about a 1400 and re-attaching the dial light, you posted a photo of your 1500-H and it showed a component between tube 12BE6 - 4 & 12BA6 - 3, I hope that I got that right. My radio won't light up and I see that I am missing, I think maybe a resistor. My question is, what is it? Not having a 1500-H schematic I am at a loss. Last night I took a shot in the dark and tried a couple of resistors and each time the dial light burned out and it smoked I think a 120-ohm resistor. I am on the road so I'm not exactly sure of the facts without the radio other than something is missing between BE6 & BA6. I would appreciate any info, thanks.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 02, 2019 2:27 am 

As you say, there are several posts about the pilot light and the 1400 differences with the 1500.
An example:

https://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/vi ... 6&t=270195

They discuss the 120 ohm resistor and some alternatives.
I think your issue is not the bulb nor resistor, but a shorted filament in one of the tubes, or a shorted wire connecting the tube pins. Those wires carry AC from the wall outlet, so they run close to the chassis to reduce hum. Use your ohmmeter to search the heater string with power off.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 02, 2019 4:32 am 

raylinhn wrote:
Fifties - I don't know how to reply to you directly about my Stromberg Carlson 1500-H so I hope that you see this. I saw on another post about a 1400 and re-attaching the dial light, you posted a photo of your 1500-H and it showed a component between tube 12BE6 - 4 & 12BA6 - 3, I hope that I got that right. My radio won't light up and I see that I am missing, I think maybe a resistor. My question is, what is it? Not having a 1500-H schematic I am at a loss. Last night I took a shot in the dark and tried a couple of resistors and each time the dial light burned out and it smoked I think a 120-ohm resistor. I am on the road so I'm not exactly sure of the facts without the radio other than something is missing between BE6 & BA6. I would appreciate any info, thanks.

With over 31,000 posts, trust me, I don't miss too much here, lol! I'm not sure what you saw, but here's a scan of the auction that I bought the set from, and it's the only full top of chassis pic that I have.

Here's a link to the print;

R-14 is a 120 ohm 2 watt resistor. If you used a smaller wattage, that could be why you smoked things.

First though, do what John suggested and verify that nothing is shorting under the chassis. You can check each tube's filaments with your meter to make sure they show a low resistance, and not a dead short, as well.

Attachments:
STROMBERG CARLSON lamp placement.png
STROMBERG CARLSON lamp placement.png [ 252.94 KiB | Viewed 402 times ]

PostPosted: Jun Sun 02, 2019 11:11 am 

Thanks fifties, when I get home next week I'll follow your instructions as well as John's. The resistor between Ba6 & Be6 was gone, what was left from each tube was a thin lead wire coiled at the end. So it made me think that this wasn't a normal resistor, I cut these off and saved them. Anyway if all fails I'll try to post some photos, thanks again for your help.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 02, 2019 3:48 pm 

Here's pics I have in my files, SC 1500, looks like something was on fire, but I've forgotten the details.

Attachments:
SC1500.jpg
SC1500.jpg [ 222.79 KiB | Viewed 382 times ]
SC 1500 2.jpg
SC 1500 2.jpg [ 315.46 KiB | Viewed 382 times ]

PostPosted: Jun Tue 18, 2019 1:22 am 

I had to take a break from my 1500-H because without a schematic and my lack of knowledge I can't find the short that keeps burning out the dial light & 150 ohm resistor between 12BA6-3 and 12BE6-4. Also I installed 150 ohm resistor between BE6-3 and BA6-4. Just double checking if that seems right to you. I tried to post 4 more pics but it wouldn't accept them. So that's where I'm for now, any help sure would be appreciated.

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 367.05 KiB | Viewed 274 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 235.16 KiB | Viewed 274 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 260.28 KiB | Viewed 274 times ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 25 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page 1, 2  Next