Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Sun 27, 2020 11:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Longline antenna questions
PostPosted: May Fri 24, 2019 3:25 am 

Is the vertical feed wire soldered to the horizontal on a long wire am antenna? And where does the ground run from ? I look at diagrams but I can't figure if the ground splits off of the vertical or not. Tia...just using for am listening.

Post subject: Re: Longline antenna questions
PostPosted: May Fri 24, 2019 3:46 am 

If you are referring to a lead in wire, it doesn't have to be soldered, simply twisted tightly around the antenna line. The ground is separate from the antenna wire, and can be a wire from a copper stake driven into the Earth, or simply a connection to the keeper screw on a wall AC outlet plate.

PostPosted: May Mon 27, 2019 2:03 pm 

Isn't it dangerous to attach the ground to the wall plate screw in case something goes wrong with the house electrical system?

PostPosted: May Mon 27, 2019 2:20 pm 

Not sure, but makes sense. I ran a ground out to the copper rod that used to be for my landline. Works well I'm in Indy and got stations in Ontario, Ft Worth, Des Moines, at 10 in the evening. Probably more as this was in just a few minutes....all the advice helps...I know nothing....lol

PostPosted: May Mon 27, 2019 5:15 pm 

radioer wrote:
Isn't it dangerous to attach the ground to the wall plate screw in case something goes wrong with the house electrical system?
Not necessarily, depends on how long ago the home wiring was installed and if it is up to code. However, the protective ground system does carry a lot of electrical noise. The antenna/ground for a radio is a two way street, the ground path can have radio signals as well as noise too.

So why use the home electrical system ground? It is convenient and if there are inadequacies in the antenna the ground will provide additional signal :roll:

Avoid using the home electrical system or the telephone system, even the shield of cable TV, all will have noise...

The earthed metal water supply pipe is a better choice followed by a driven deep earth rod, use as short a connection as possible as that ground wire can pickup household noise.

Each and every antenna setup is different, however, some basic rules need to be applied to avoid noise and have an effective installation.

Too long an antenna is not as good as it would seem, depending on the desired wavelengths to be received. too long an antenna can overload the receiver.

Guido Marconi wrote:
Longline antenna questions? Is the vertical feed wire soldered to the horizontal on a long wire am antenna? And where does the ground run from ? I look at diagrams but I can't figure if the ground splits off of the vertical or not. Tia...just using for am listening.

On antenna wiring that may have the strain of suspension or sag from a long run, soldering softens hard drawn copper wire, but not copper weld. There is a common electricians part that can be used to make solid electrical connections to the antenna or even a mechanical connection if desired:

The Burndy is made of bronze and will last a long time, available in many sizes. I have installed some so large plumbers pipe wrenches were used to tighten them up...

On a typical receiving antenna installation, assuming a Marconi "L or similar. The ground is brought direct as possible to some method of switching the ground to the radio or shorting the antenna, a "larger" open knife switch can be used to transfer the connection. Some simply use bronze crocodile clamps for the shorting. Full time lightning protection is also installed, it can be a device or a spark gap.

It would take some very large wire and devices to withstand a full strike. But, more often nearby strikes induce large voltages in the antenna the must find there way to ground directly and not into the home and radio.. There are many such pictures of good installations using common materials and methods.

As said every installation is different.

The home insurance co would like the installation to be safe and in most instances there is a code requirement. Do check if that is an issue...

GL

Chas

PostPosted: May Tue 28, 2019 3:13 pm 

Got it. Im grounded to the copper plated tod outside. I have a connector like that.
Thanks

PostPosted: May Tue 28, 2019 3:19 pm 

Quote:
copper plated tod outside
What is a tod ?

PostPosted: May Tue 28, 2019 3:37 pm 

pauls.ironhorse wrote:
Quote:
copper plated tod outside
What is a tod ?